Author Topic: Site problems?  (Read 4896 times)

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
Site problems?
« on: March 31, 2005, 01:09:50 am »
Over the last couple of days I've notice extended periods (2h and more) of downtime of Gamingsteve.com and fora.

Is this a known/expected problem from updating or something more sinister :P

I hope not...

+++"Sometimes, when I look into the abyss, the abyss looks back" - [tmo]+++

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
Re: Site problems?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 07:49:30 am »
Over the last couple of days I've notice extended periods (2h and more) of downtime of Gamingsteve.com and fora.

Is this a known/expected problem from updating or something more sinister :P

I hope not...

I have never noticed 2 hours. The most downtime I have ever noticed was around 1 minute, and most are around 30 seconds. When did you notice 2 hours? I can check with my hosting company but I'm looking at the logs now and it appears that there was no extended downtime in the last few days (or even in the last few weeks).

But if you do notice something, let me know ASAP and I'll look into it ASAP. It's easier to check and correct when I can track it down right after it happens. The site and programming is stable, if there is any downtime it's the hosting company, so let me know.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 08:15:58 am »
There was a period of time last night (how long I can't be sure, more than 15 minutes) when the main site was up but the Forums were inaccessible.  I can't remember exactly what it said but I think there was something about heavy traffic.  Anyway, this was about 2 am central time.  Hope this helps.  -leeman

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 08:17:19 am »
There was a period of time last night (how long I can't be sure, more than 15 minutes) when the main site was up but the Forums were inaccessible.  I can't remember exactly what it said but I think there was something about heavy traffic.  Anyway, this was about 2 am central time.  Hope this helps.  -leeman

Actually, I do remember that now that you mention it. I tried to get onto the forums and they were down a bit, but then I went to sleep. But I wasn't sure how long they were down for. I will check into that today. Thanks for letting me know.

Offline CrimsonSapien

• Fire Truck Driver
  • Syntax error in line 20: UserCS=Wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 12:00:24 am »
He is correct, at about 1300-1500 (+1 GMT) The forums seem to be "unreachable". This happens no matter where I am at, (on my client, or on the backbone server.)
If you spend word for word with me, I shall make your wit bankrupt.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 12:28:53 am »
He is correct, at about 1300-1500 (+1 GMT) The forums seem to be "unreachable". This happens no matter where I am at, (on my client, or on the backbone server.)

Hum, when do/did you experience this? I will look into this, don't want the forum to be down at any time (when this happens, send me an email as well so that I can pin-point the problem easier as well).

Offline CrimsonSapien

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 12:45:05 am »
For the last 3-4 days it has been this way, if it happens again you will get your email. ;)

***EDIT***

This is what I am currently getting from pinging your site from Germany:

Code: [Select]
Pinging gamingsteve.com [70.85.79.116] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 70.85.79.116: bytes=32 time=318ms TTL=44
Reply from 70.85.79.116: bytes=32 time=359ms TTL=44
Reply from 70.85.79.116: bytes=32 time=435ms TTL=44
Reply from 70.85.79.116: bytes=32 time=409ms TTL=44

Ping statistics for 70.85.79.116:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 318ms, Maximum = 435ms, Average = 380ms

This is from my client, it is not that great but your site is reachable. I will do a whois later to see exactly where the sites server sits, to give me a better idea on distance.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2005, 12:50:50 am by CrimsonSapien »

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 07:35:16 am »
I have submitted several reports to my hosting company and I'm looking into the logs myself to see if there is anything there.

It might be a partial distance issue. The server is ... somewhere (even I'm not quite sure) in the US. I did several ping tests myself and I'm getting 45 ms, again, if it goes down while you're on let me know the time so that I can look in the logs and ocntact the hosting company. I have an idea to increase performance, but I can't implement it until next week. But overall the site has been pretty good IMO. It managed to serve up well over 1.5 TB of data last month with very little to zero downtime during the peak hours. Again, I'll keep on it.

Offline CrimsonSapien

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2005, 07:48:22 am »
The ip trace to Texas, with theplanet.com. (an old nemesis of mine  >:( )That explains my crappy ping times, it is taking me 21 hops to reach your site. Oddly the site has not dropped off my end today (I think the server is trying to make me look like a BSer!) Ill keep F5 ready.