Author Topic: First Expansion: Cute and Creepy Parts Pack  (Read 74608 times)

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
Re: First Expansion: Cute and Creepy Parts Pack
« Reply #150 on: October 06, 2008, 01:09:21 pm »
This "so-called" expansion is an insult to the intelligence and self-control of gamers everywhere!  >:(

>.>
<.<

so....what parts can we get?   :-X
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 06, 2008, 02:00:50 pm »
Spore 2 is going to be awesome.
Hm.
Spore is going to be awesome.
You understood what I was going for. 

I predict that it will be much better, but it will still be a let down because of all the hype. D:

Why would you fall for the hype a second time?

Offline Jaleho

• Stargate Superstar
  • The Infamous El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Studios
« Reply #152 on: October 06, 2008, 02:01:11 pm »
Nice post J. I would like to remind you though they can't give us back something they never gave. Rather, it would be nice if they integrated it into Spore.

But it IS already in there! I've been pouring over the code for weeks, and the number of features that are in there with things like "FirstPersonView = False" or "TribeAvatar = False" are astounding! The ability to take control of things in the game is in the code - they've just turned it off! Whether they did that because it didn't work right or they felt it detracted from "game play" I don't know, but read through the package files sometime and see the piles of things hidden away inside the game, waiting to be released.

Offline Notorious B.O.B

• Venture Conqueror
  • I still live!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 06, 2008, 02:22:27 pm »
Nice post J. I would like to remind you though they can't give us back something they never gave. Rather, it would be nice if they integrated it into Spore.

But it IS already in there! I've been pouring over the code for weeks, and the number of features that are in there with things like "FirstPersonView = False" or "TribeAvatar = False" are astounding! The ability to take control of things in the game is in the code - they've just turned it off! Whether they did that because it didn't work right or they felt it detracted from "game play" I don't know, but read through the package files sometime and see the piles of things hidden away inside the game, waiting to be released.

Wait a minute, 'turned it off'?  What are saying, that you can just 'turn it back on again'?  Can you type in 'FirstPersonView=True' and have it work?  WHY HAVEN"T YOU DONE THAT YET?!  Oh wait, its because it doesn't work like that, does it?  Its not as simple as 'turning it off, is it?  Cause then, you wouldn't be saying 'look at what I found in the code', you'd be saying 'look what I did when I did this little thing with the code'.  So it ISN'T in there, truly.
Leave to a Thark his head and one hand and he may yet conquer.

The glass is alway in balance and full: half liquid, half gas.

Visit my Sporepedia page! http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Bob_Of_Mars

Offline Telluric

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 06, 2008, 02:53:55 pm »
So it ISN'T in there, truly.

Probably not, I'd wager.  Often when you are developing complex, open-ended pieces of software, you begin to include all sorts of features.  Then, as time and money grow short, you are forced to take half complete work and disable it.

It may not be something that can be switched on, but it is a hopeful sign to see they were thinking in this direction.  I particularly like Jahelo's idea that you should be given every opportunity to play with all the things you've made, to see them in the game more frequently.  If the game is to be about our creations, then spending more time with them sounds like a great idea.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little." - George Carlin

Offline IamMe

• Gorf Goon
  • +200 Points!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 06, 2008, 03:01:51 pm »

The same reason I fell for the hype after playing a lot of other hyped up games. It's pretty much human nature to want more all the time.

Offline LXIndustries

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 06, 2008, 04:46:02 pm »
I think the second spore will be better because I wont have the hype.
That way there wont be disapointment, low expectations means I can only be impressed.

Much like this 'expansion/stuffpack', I have read this thread and now have such a low expection of it that I may even be happy with it.

Offline jydnys

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 06, 2008, 07:04:39 pm »
A game to me will always be about the playing.  Building things with an editor isn't playing.  It's art.

And that's the way Maxis has done things since Sim City. Creating and building things.

So why are people complaining about the gameplay when it's supposed to be an artist in a box? That's what you should expect from Maxis.

Yes but there was also strategic depth in "creating and building things" in Sim City.  There really isn't in Spore

Offline IamMe

• Gorf Goon
  • +200 Points!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 06, 2008, 07:17:10 pm »
Of course one way to avoid the hype is to not learn anything about Spore 2 until it comes out. That way everything will be a surprise and there will be no disappointments.

But I cannot do that. I'd just be too curious. D:

Offline Bama

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 06, 2008, 09:08:28 pm »
Spore 2 will be amazing in 2015

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
« Reply #160 on: October 06, 2008, 10:52:11 pm »
I predict that it will be much better, but it will still be a let down because of all the hype. D:

Part of the power of the Spore hype was that the game was pretty much outside of our experience.  It was easy to let our imagination get carried away.  When Spore 2 comes around we'll have something much more concrete to compare it to, and i don't think the hype (which was partially fan generated) will be able to get so intense.

On the other hand, it's also reasonable to expect Spore 2 to be noticeably better, since Maxis should be able to learn from it's mistakes.  There were not a lot of examples that could guide them, this "genera" is pretty new.  Of course that doesn't mean Spore 2 will be the mystical "Spore we were promised in 2005" or "The Spore we hoped for".

Personally i'm more interested to see what other games (not necessarily by Maxis) draw from the ideas and technology Spore has showcased.

Whatever you think about Spore gameplay, i think the procedural user-generated content idea is a big success.  30+ million items of content in spite of all the Sporepedia problems.  Imagine if Sporepedia actually worked right..

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 07, 2008, 12:40:57 am »
So, If it's true that all of spore's old features are turned off, can't we simply mod the game to what we want? I know that spore is moddable.
Quote from: Orc Creation Story.
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.
Jawless women and their fine, fine feet

Offline j99450

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Eagle42 on Sporepedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 07, 2008, 07:19:18 am »
Chances are if the "old" features are turned off its for a better reason then cooperate greed.  They are almost definitely half done or so buggy they might as well not be there.

Offline crisaron

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 07, 2008, 02:14:59 pm »
Well another expansion I won't buy... Oh wait it is the only one yet!

Can I smell Shell holder? Space waster? Waste of paper and plastic?

My collector edition is already being use as my coffee mug rest anyway...

I have learned I do not look at game announcement ever... just Fallout 3 and maybe Dawn of War 2 and...

:P

Offline Branko

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 07, 2008, 02:19:57 pm »
Well another expansion I won't buy... Oh wait it is the only one yet!

Can I smell Shell holder? Space waster? Waste of paper and plastic?

My collector edition is already being use as my coffee mug rest anyway...

I have learned I do not look at game announcement ever... just Fallout 3 and maybe Dawn of War 2 and...

:P

I want Fallaut 3 to.