Author Topic: First Expansion: Cute and Creepy Parts Pack  (Read 75893 times)

Offline Neini

• Akalabeth Addict
  • BUNNY SMASH PUNY HUMANS!
    • View Profile
Re: First Expansion: Cute and Creepy Parts Pack
« Reply #120 on: October 05, 2008, 02:27:36 pm »
I'll probably buy it too, but only if it has tons of parts that are worth the price. I do like the editors and the parts pack will open up a few more possibilities.

Now where are those jagged spikes and pulsating parts?

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
« Reply #121 on: October 05, 2008, 02:51:55 pm »
The only way I will buy this is if they add new abilities ....
If they were going to do that i believe it would be called an "expansion" rather than a "parts pack"

Offline Logan Felipe

• Ultima Lord
  • SAND JABBA!
    • View Profile
    • Personal World Clock
« Reply #122 on: October 05, 2008, 04:25:11 pm »

This is something I'd expect to see in a free update, not an expansion.

Impossible creatures had 2 FREE updates that added a total of 25 creatures to combine in the game. But I guess that shows that Relic is better than EA...
Spore! Star Wars! Dinosaurs!
Fanfic!

I blame what I call the Scopes Law (When discussing evolution in the presence of a creationist, the discussion always becomes a religious debate).

Offline Crowster

• Defender Devotee
  • It's Crow-Time, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • The Adventures of Crow-Man
« Reply #123 on: October 05, 2008, 05:12:03 pm »
The real question is, who actually cared about Impossible Creatures? ;)

I really see little problem in actually selling new parts to us. Pointing to another company and saying, "THEY DID IT FOR FREE" is like a child pleading with his parents by going, "Billy's mom let HIM do it!"

As for this idea that all these parts were "finished way ahead of time" because of how soon this is supposed to come out ... come on, guys. These are PARTS. How long after release do many XBox games get DLC that often times involve new 3D models? Chances are they started working on these some time after finalizing the Creature Creator. Parts don't seem like they'd take an incredibly long time to make. Their animations are simple, and for a large part can probably be copied from similar existing parts if time constraints got really bad. The texturing on existing parts seems simple enough, considering the fact that much of it is done via the procedural texturing system.

Also, "Why are they working on this crap instead of fixing all the bugs!" The Spore team consists of more than just Will Wright himself. >_> The artists and animators who would be working on extra parts ... it's not their JOB to fix game crashes or balance issues. "Maxis" can be doing both, working on new parts AND trying to fix bugs.

I'm still skeptical as to whether or not this parts pack will be worth the money, but we have to be fair with our disdain. After all, it's no secret that Spore is trying to be the next Sims, and this is the business model that has worked brilliantly for the past four years with Sims 2.

Offline MisterBibs

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 05, 2008, 06:22:25 pm »
Impossible creatures had 2 FREE updates that added a total of 25 creatures to combine in the game. But I guess that shows that Relic is better than EA...

Impossible Creatues flopped; the reason why the updates were free was simply because they knew full well that trying to sell them would have done even worse. Trivia: IC uses the same engine as Dawn of War.

Offline Logan Felipe

• Ultima Lord
  • SAND JABBA!
    • View Profile
    • Personal World Clock
« Reply #125 on: October 05, 2008, 07:24:41 pm »

Impossible Creatues flopped; the reason why the updates were free was simply because they knew full well that trying to sell them would have done even worse. Trivia: IC uses the same engine as Dawn of War.

I always thought it was a great game...
It really deserves credit as being an evolutionary ancestor of Spore. (haha, pun)

Anyway, this part pack should have been an update, not a costly expansion (which, btw, costs about half the price of the full game, and twice the price of the creature creator which had all the parts.
If it has the same amount of content that the trial cc did, it should be free. Any major content like a true expansion? 10 bucks.
Spore! Star Wars! Dinosaurs!
Fanfic!

I blame what I call the Scopes Law (When discussing evolution in the presence of a creationist, the discussion always becomes a religious debate).

Offline CosmicD

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 05, 2008, 10:08:43 pm »
I wonder why everyone is complaining that stuff like that should be free ? Patches that fix bugs: ok, Expansions or packs ? NO. Because who says that spore isn't constantly in development beyond the release date, and maxis people are spending work hours that EA has to pay them for as well ?

I wonder how much of the complainers asked money to copy their copy of a CD for a friend or also wonder if they'd open their front door 24/24 , with a beautiful lightbanner in front of the window saying 'free flea market'

Anyway, Nothing like this is for free. In Trackmania, (yes I'd always give that example of this game) you could have these packs that added blocks to build racing games with. It was free for the original user but they started selling 'new games' with the patch incorporated. So now you have these 7 different flavours of retail trackmania floating around.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 10:13:35 pm by CosmicD »

Offline Moogie

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 05, 2008, 11:12:00 pm »
The issue us "complainers" have is that we find this insulting, basically. It's not like EA can't afford to be decent human beings, like many other companies with far, far less money have managed to be.

Also, there are only 7 days in a week. ;)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 11:13:42 pm by Moogie »

Offline Koronii

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 06, 2008, 12:52:25 am »
The issue us "complainers" have is that we find this insulting, basically. It's not like EA can't afford to be decent human beings, like many other companies with far, far less money have managed to be.

Also, there are only 7 days in a week. ;)

Why exactly is this Stuff Pack our God-given right to have free? It was being developed separately from Spore, during a time when he only real development in Spore was fixing the more notable, irritating, destructive, and easy to fix bugs.

Anyways, Maxis never promised that we could have it for free, so why are you acting as if they had?

Offline Spore-addict

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 06, 2008, 02:42:57 am »
This is a rumour but we have to take it serious. I doubt that it would be placed so many places if there was nothing to it. Remember there is often fire when you see smoke...

It is less than a month since most players has got the game and even paid more money for EA games...strangely they are priced more expensive than others...well in my country that is.

This stuff pack as you call it, was likely decided before they discovered what people could do with the parts in spore. I doubt that there will be some genuine crazy stuff in there. And to ask again , why cant we get a lot of parts like lions mane and hair etc. It is insulting ..and feels like they are just hiding this to cash in on us.

A big difference why many of us bought the CC was we were spore addicts.....literally. Well now we have seen spore itself, that addiction is going DOWN faster than a falling rock.

I spend more time in the CC before spore than on actual playing spore and designing creatures in it.
That should say a lot about spore...

Screw the game and just give us some great editors with 3d abilities...yes it can be done with other programs is doing it myself but the spore game itself is an utter failure...5 simple games glued together with fantastic ediotors...it dont feel great does it!

People are saying, Well stupid guy then do not buy it.! So you are saying I should run around in the super simple small stage games and see creatures that I can not make....! that is really bad. That is even insulting.

Futhermore that stuff pack does in general only affect one stage, like creature...in the others it has little to no effect at all.

Tribal and space has some, CIV and cell is completely unaffected by this...since we do not see the creatures close up. I also think that about space to be honest.

So a 20 dollar buy only affect one small portion of the game.....GEEEE

What could I use my 20 dollars on instead....Wonders for 0.1 second. We are comming into the 2 crazy gaming months of the year.....

let me start....Far cry 2, Red alert 3, star craft 2, left4dead, GTA4, Saints Row 2, Borderlands, Fall out 3, The list goes on and on  and on AND ON.

20 dollars is already a good start for a new game....and I bet there is MUCH more gaming time in half of GTA4 with 100 hours of gameplay then a small hats and blue glasses stuff pack for spore...

Some of us has already (thank god I did not) used 100 dollars on the galactic edition...and frankly they must feel a bit screwed...I even begins to feel screwed about the overpriced normal edition of spore.

Please tell me why I should spend more money on parts? When it is crazy GAMING October, November and December..is comming...

It resembles the online payment style of WOW, never really understand that either. They cost also WAY too much money to play.

I just guess many players likes to be screwed. I do not. So this is it.

I might buy the expansion but if this is real news then you might lose one customer...

Found these suggestions from a player on a forum...awsome suggestions to the space stage. Why cant we get something like this.

The mods do help to a degree to fix the insipidly broken space stage, but I’d love to see an addon package by EA designed to add stuff to the space stage to improve it.

For example…

Space Stations: These could probably be built to allow the player to have a fleet. Any system with a space station could allow players to take more of their own people’s ships into their posse. There could also be upgrades to the station that allow for different kinds of things. For example, one upgrade may allow for cargo ships that ferry spice from planets in a system with that kind of upgraded station to you, so you wouldn’t have to visit them. Another kind could be an enhanced communications platform so you could talk with other systems that do have said platform from a distance. This would be great for economists who could buy out systems from the solar-system view.

Mercenaries: There could be a space-borne police force, comprised of numerous races. There could be the option to opt into this for the player, they’d have to pay a tax to the mercs for their protection but the benefits would be worth it. Based on the amount of tax paid, there could be different per centages of protection. This would mean that one would have to run back to one’s colonies less if one were at war, much less if it were due to pirate attacks, and so on…

Ark: This is much more complicated, with certain upgrades a player could build an Ark. An Ark could be used to store different forms of life and could be called in via one of the ship’s tools, at which point life could be freely traded back and forth with the Ark. The player could also pay to upgrade the Ark, which they could then dispatch to deal with ecological disasters as opposed to having to rush off to a planet to do this themselves.

Missions: After running a bunch of the normal races, you may become renowned with the races as someone who gets things done. Perhaps this would occur when the player obtains the Missionista 2 or 3 badge. When this occurs, the races would start contacting the player and offering jobs, these contracts would pay 10x/15x more than the normal mission payout.

Unification: This would work in a similar way to how the other stages end. Once the player has enough alliances, they could declare a Unification. This would be an end-game space solution for those who didn’t take the military path. It would mostly be for show, but it would also allow the player to gather together a great force to actually finally defeat the Grox with once and for all. I don’t know how this could work for militaristic players though, but they seem to have found their own way via the planet buster, so that may not be an issue. Once the Grox are defeated, the Unification could simply serve to provide better trade prices, and better mission payouts for the player cooperating with Unified planets.

These five elements would greatly help fix the space stage by introducing an element of strategy. This way, a person could run missions early on and become renowned, and then use the money from renowned systems to buy and upgrade an Ark, and then to start peppering space stations throughout their outposts and upgrading them. With the Ark they could upgrade their planets to T3 more easily and then the space stations would start relaying spice to them. With a good spread of planets the player could then go about seeking either Unification or the militaristic domination of the Universe.

In other words, it would help give the game the sense of flow that it desperately needs.
Master Raytracer Spore-addict = KarmaCowboy

See you out there, feel free to comment my creatures.

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 06, 2008, 03:33:32 am »
I wouldn't say that the spore addiction is going down. About a Million(sp?) creatures get uploaded to the sporepedia, each day.
But if they want us to keep playing, and buying their games, then EA and/or maxis should expand the gameplay, instead of giving us new parts, really, why can't they do both?
Quote from: Orc Creation Story.
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.
Jawless women and their fine, fine feet

Offline Telluric

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 06, 2008, 08:24:34 am »
Creature parts?

Umm... I spend the vast majority of my time in Space.  I don't ever see creatures.  The closest I come to seeing creatures is beaming them up and down to planets to fill ecosystems.  Do I much care about what they look like?  No.  Because I'm not going to be looking at them for more than a few seconds.  Then it's back out to space where the only content I actually made is my thumbnail spaceship.

I didn't play any version of the Sims.  When the first game out, a friend picked it up and invited me over.  I spent 10 minutes looking at it and, when I had to order my little person to use the bathroom, I realized this was a complete waste of time.  I've seen endless expansions on the shelf for this and it's sequels and none of them have even registered on my radar as games remotely worth playing... and I am long in the tooth with Sim games, having spent hours and hours with the original SimCity and SimEarth years ago.

So, are we headed in the direction of the Sims then?  It seems in this thread that that is the conclusion of people who know a lot more about it than I do.  That's sad.  I had really high hopes for this... but I won't be buying packs of parts for things I never look at and don't much care about in the first place.  And it doesn't seem like they will be turning this game into a gamer's game in any way either - apparently that's not what this franchise system is about.  I'd be fascinated to learn more about the kind of gamer that actually does like this stuff, though...

I guess it's back to World of Warcraft while waiting for Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3.  Thank you to everyone on this site who has been such a great help to me in enjoying the time I've gotten out of Spore.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little." - George Carlin

Offline Jaleho

• Stargate Superstar
  • The Infamous El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Studios
« Reply #132 on: October 06, 2008, 08:48:20 am »
I spend the vast majority of my time in Space.  I don't ever see creatures.  The closest I come to seeing creatures is beaming them up and down to planets to fill ecosystems.  Do I much care about what they look like?  No.  Because I'm not going to be looking at them for more than a few seconds.  Then it's back out to space where the only content I actually made is my thumbnail spaceship.

Sounds like you need an expansion that lets you go INSIDE your UFO... see the crew, cargo, etc...

Offline Telluric

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 06, 2008, 09:05:16 am »
Sounds like you need an expansion that lets you go INSIDE your UFO... see the crew, cargo, etc...

That would be very nice actually.  How about a mini-game where I have to keep the plants alive during transit, catch loose herbivores running around the ship, and stop predators from eating the herbivores?  Game model; things like the Cake Baker series.

Well, it's a charming idea, anyway, but I can see the writing on the wall.  The game is about building your own thing - building creatures and buildings and vehicles and showing them off to friends.  This is a "game" of art - editors and screenshots and videos.  I'm glad to see the realm of "gaming" has grown to include this interesting evolutionary addition... but it probably isn't for me.  I get terribly bored with hour after hour in the creators.  And that's the only place you can sink time that isn't a repetitive grind.

A game to me will always be about the playing.  Building things with an editor isn't playing.  It's art.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little." - George Carlin

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 06, 2008, 09:15:01 am »
Have they released any information other than the name, price, and release date?  Are we sure it's just parts for creatures?  Cute and Creepy sound like they're adjectives to describe creatures, but I can see them also putting in more parts for every section.  Cute and Creepy parts for vehicles, buildings, outfits, etc.   

But if they want us to keep playing, and buying their games, then EA and/or maxis should expand the gameplay, instead of giving us new parts, really, why can't they do both?

Who said they aren't?  There have been rumors for months that the first gameplay expansion will be out in the first half of next year.

But content packs are so much easier to make than gameplay expansions.  You can get a handful of artists to make about two or three parts each per day a month and have a nice amount of parts for every phase.  A month of planning and design, a month of modeling/animation/texturing, with QA included, and presto.  You've got a parts pack.

There's probably a lot more logistics in there, but the point is, with a gameplay expansion, there's a lot more to it.  Game design, testing, balancing, testing, tweaking, testing, creation of new assets, testing, etc.  And it has to fit in with the main game.  Of course we're getting a parts pack first.  Heck, we might even get a second parts pack before the first gameplay expansion comes out.