Author Topic: Looking for music...  (Read 4375 times)

Offline Arachoid

• Tempest Top Dog
  • A new musical revelation...
    • View Profile
Looking for music...
« on: October 02, 2008, 08:36:11 pm »
I think I may be on the verge of becoming an audiophile, and need some help finding bands. I wanted to try that Genius Playlist whatnot on iTunes, but have no iTunes account (as I have no digital payment methods). So I figured I\'d do it like they did in the old days: Fire up the ol\' browser, cruise on over to a favorite forum, and ask for some suggestions.

To give you a sample of my music library, I\'ve got System of a Down, Rage Against the Machine, Gorillaz, Beastie Boys, Mindless Self Indulgence, Led Zeppelin, They Might Be Giants, Green Day (their older stuff, American Idiot wasn\'t that great), Johnny Cash and Dragonforce.

Any ideas?

I say NO! to all limits.
Unfortunately, I don't think we're far enough into the Civ stage to have deveoped into the 'Infinite-ghz processing' research tree yet...

gec05

Re: Looking for music...
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 11:15:51 pm »
Well your only other legitimate option is getting suggestions from everyone about good bands they like. Then check around stores to find physical copies.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 05:11:27 am »
ALESTORM

I might think of more, but ALESTORM
Not a winner anymore.

Offline cloud_dog_9

• Sea Battler
  • Can life get any better? I submit that it can NOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 06:53:37 am »
My wife was watching America's Got Talent and there was a group called Nuttin' But Stringz.  The are a hip hop duo that plays the violin in their songs.  In-freakin-credible.  You need to go on YouTube and look them up.  I know they have an album out.  I am going to download it on iTunes some time in the future.  (In case you were wondering, they lost to an Opera singer that cried every time he sang.  It's lame I know.)

Offline TheCheerioEffect

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 11:21:56 am »
Here's some personal suggestions of mine, they may or may not suit your taste but they're all pretty awesome.

Rockan'/Rollan'
-The White Stripes
-Velvet Revolver
-Rx Bandits
-Tenacious D
-Foo Fighters

Hip-Hop
-The Roots
-Nujabes
-Run DMC
-Snoop Dogg(the good stuff)
-Madvillain
-k-os

Other
-Neutral Milk Hotel(kind've Indie/folky/rocky but really good)

Try not to get turned off by my hip-hop recommendations. Rage Against the Machine blends hip-hop, rap, and funk into their songs anyways so you're halfway there.
I'm here to chew ass and kick bubblegum.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 06:07:43 am »

my favourites are:

The Black Keys - blues rock due, they're really good.
Foo Fighters
Green day - i love the lyrics but the music is a bit "meh,"
Led Zeppelin
Nirvana
Oasis
Queens of the stone age -  love the atmosphere of their songs.

i guess the hives have a coupla goodans too.
Never mind your own business.

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 06:10:45 am »
ALESTORM

I might think of more, but ALESTORM

I second this.
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 10:10:42 am »
Try: Air, Jimi Hendrix, Captain Beyound, Beck, Millionaire, Kyuss, Moloko, Lily Allen, Lovage, Rodrigo y Gabriela, Doobie Brothers, Blues Brothers, Mano Negra, Manu Chao, Paco de Lucia, bob marley, buena vista social club, daft punk, the doors, eekamouse, garbage, grateful dead, gui boratto, gypsy kings, mando diao, massive attack, the shins, shpongle... to name a few

I highly recommend Hendrix, Air, Buena Vista Social Club

If you're into flamenco and such check up on: Rodrigo y Gabriela and Paco de lucia, even if youre not into it, if you love guitars watch at least 1 vid by rod y gab;)
OK, both of you die and let us know what happens.