Author Topic: ♪ Music You Make ♪  (Read 38952 times)

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
Re: ♪ Music You Make ♪
« Reply #180 on: June 13, 2013, 10:34:23 am »
Kind of Portalesque, but still unique and cool. Certainly fits the name.

I like.

So hey, what programs do you guys use? I've had ideas floating around in my head and I'm rubbish with instruments and want an output.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 13, 2013, 06:14:04 pm »
I use Ableton.

I'm not very good at it.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Gec

• Defender Devotee
  • I dig 'em.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 14, 2013, 02:23:16 pm »
Kind of Portalesque, but still unique and cool. Certainly fits the name.

I like.

So hey, what programs do you guys use? I've had ideas floating around in my head and I'm rubbish with instruments and want an output.

I generally like to use Logic Pro in the Mac (why do I feel like I have countlessly told you guys this I don't know how many times?) but I'm trying to learn Fl Studio. Pretty much seems to be the most popular DAW and pretty powerful once you get around the steep learning curve. Be serious about it though. You buy a program like this with enough bells and whistles to play around with, you may have to spend around 300-400 dollars.

OCRemix has a good thread on that kind of stuff. Remixing is a good way to learn how to make music. http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42698
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 02:26:53 pm by Gec »

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 14, 2013, 08:46:24 pm »
Thank you for the advice!

I should be able to mooch off my dad for software, him being a professional musician and all.

I think he uses Garageband? I've heard him talk about Logic Pro though, so maybe that's what he uses.

Offline Gec

• Defender Devotee
  • I dig 'em.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 14, 2013, 11:12:26 pm »
Heck, why are you asking me then? Get you dad to spill the beans about Garageband and Logic. Take some interest on what he does, I admire your dad for that. :D

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 15, 2013, 12:21:56 am »
He only has experience in using real instruments and recording...

I've learned from him about recording on that software before. I know the basics of recording using them, I just don't know how to play any instruments proficiently enough to use that ability.

I'm working on learning the guitar, but that's of course a long process. I just want an outlet for my creative juices(tm) sooner rather than later.

-EDIT- Actually on second thought I'll ask him about using synthetic instruments. It just occurred to me I've never asked him about that. Like a doof, I am.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 12:24:28 am by RiseWhirled »

Offline Gec

• Defender Devotee
  • I dig 'em.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 15, 2013, 12:33:02 pm »
Well I guess that makes sense. I dabble with virtual synths all the time and I'm still learning. But you probably could get a better grasp of music theory from your dad than I could. Once you have that then you're set.

Logic Pro comes with a good set of synths right out of the box. And you can find a pretty decent amount of expandability on the market for it. FL Studio is more widely used too on the PC side. It doesn't come with a good set of synths right out of the box, but you can find far more additional and more popular instruments for it, and a whole lot of free ones at that. Personally I still like to find some good quality instruments for a reasonable price. Places like Big Fish Audio and KVR Audio can help you expand your DAW to have more instruments to play with.

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 25, 2015, 10:10:31 am »
Hey, so, instead of learning to use computers I just ended up learning guitar.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0JDQNkMkJIt

My voice isn't the greatest, my guitarwork is amateur, and my topic's a bit trite at this point I would think, but making original music at all feels good, in an indefinable sort of way.

No, I don't know why my vocaroo clicks. It's done that since I got my new headset, even though my headset doesn't do that with anything else.