Author Topic: Could we figure out when spore takes place?  (Read 3940 times)

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
Could we figure out when spore takes place?
« on: September 28, 2008, 02:28:25 pm »
Using the altered positions of Sol, Polaris, etc?

That would be SICK.

I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
Re: Could we figure out when spore takes place?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 02:37:42 pm »
As in sick because it takes way too much calculations and time for the average human being?

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline Sporegonian

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 02:51:01 pm »
And the spore galaxy is also not a very accurate representation of our galaxy... it being a lateral plane about one star thick.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 02:52:35 pm »
That would mean twice as many stars to program, gon.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 03:31:57 pm »
Using the altered positions of Sol, Polaris, etc?

That would be SICK.

None of the stars are real, except Sol.

The shape of the galaxy is not remotely like the shape of our galaxy.  The Milky Way is believe to be a barred-spiral galaxy.  5-armed galaxies are as far as i can tell totally fictional.

Offline Techleo

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 03:49:01 pm »
 :) If I were to deduct from what I know Id say the future since there are complex plants and no animals. Meaning the animals disappeared.  ;D Although its not based on reality since well frankly it cant be hehehe.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 04:45:08 pm »
In the words of George Lucas, it takes place in a galaxy long ago and far, far away.

Besides, if it were our galaxy, our Solar System would contain the correct number of moons and planets. While its understandable why Mars moons don't show up in Spore, after all, they are just captured asteroids, the gas giants need more moons.

I don't know why they didn't include a moon for Uranus and Neptune though.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 04:54:35 pm by smjjames »

Offline Arachoid

• Tempest Top Dog
  • A new musical revelation...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 05:31:39 pm »
Alright , I think I've figured it out:

It's super far in the future. Humans figured out how to travel via galaxy centers, and after all the stars in our galaxy died out, they packed up the solar system, left, and got into a scrap with the Grox on reentry and lost a few moons. Amirite?

::)
I say NO! to all limits.
Unfortunately, I don't think we're far enough into the Civ stage to have deveoped into the 'Infinite-ghz processing' research tree yet...

Offline DylanTK

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 07:15:59 pm »
The answer to this is really phenomenally simple... It's present day Earth without animals, no land dwelling ones anyway. ;)

If it were the past, the land formations would resemble Pangaea ... Alternately, if it was far into the future, you would have seen a noticeable shift in the continents in the other direction. If people had been there, there would be evidence of it.. I haven't visited Spore Earth yet, but I have seen pictures..

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 07:30:16 pm »
It could just as easily be in a parallel universe that is on the time scale as ours, but earth is a T1 populated only by plants, aquatic creatures and no land animals bigger than an insect.

Not to mention the fact that you could get your creature to space stage before 3 billion years, LONG before humans arrived on the scene, and well before the Cambrian Explosion. Considering that life likely developed very early on in the planets history, before the planet was even a billion years old, you could get to space stage a billion years before humans existed. If you drag the cell game and the creature game out long enough, you could go into space long after humans have passed into the ether.

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 07:45:31 pm »
Besides, if it were our galaxy, our Solar System would contain the correct number of moons and planets. While its understandable why Mars moons don't show up in Spore, after all, they are just captured asteroids, the gas giants need more moons.

The reason the solar system seem incomplete is because the "Sol" system is not our solar system but simply an unfinished prototype manufactured by Magrathea.

Offline Arachoid

• Tempest Top Dog
  • A new musical revelation...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2008, 08:43:14 pm »

The reason the solar system seem incomplete is because the "Sol" system is not our solar system but simply an unfinished prototype manufactured by Magrathea.

Alright, alright... I'll dole out the obligatory 42 Pwn Points for the HGttG reference... But next time, somebody else had better pick up the tab...
I say NO! to all limits.
Unfortunately, I don't think we're far enough into the Civ stage to have deveoped into the 'Infinite-ghz processing' research tree yet...

Offline spiritofcat

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Ta-da!
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2008, 08:47:54 pm »
Considering that an individual game from Cell to Space takes many Billions of years, you probably won't be able to pin it down to any precise point in time.

Offline Crowster

• Defender Devotee
  • It's Crow-Time, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • The Adventures of Crow-Man
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 02:06:49 am »
It could just as easily be in a parallel universe that is on the time scale as ours, but earth is a T1 populated only by plants, aquatic creatures and no land animals bigger than an insect.

Who's to say real-earth wouldn't be a T1? We consider it a perfect planet for life because, as of yet, it's the only planet we know of that has produced life at all. When humans find other life-bearing worlds out there, we may find that Earth isn't as well suited for life as we thought. It would just SEEM perfect to us because we evolved to thrive here. ;)

What type of T1 is earth? Lower atmosphere and even temperature? If it's a hot, high-atmosphere T1, I would theorize that Spore takes place a bit in the future after global warming wiped out most life.

Or, you know ... the galaxy you get with Spore could just be a complete work of fiction not meant to parallel our own with earth thrown in there as an easter egg. >_> ;)

That would mean twice as many stars to program, gon.

I doubt that's the reason. Considering how many stars are already in Spore, I don't think adding more would be much of a problem, especially considering the fact that most of what we see is generated for us on an as-need basis. I think the mostly lateral star layout we see had more to do with making Space easier to navigate.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 03:32:45 am »
     Or maybe the Spore humans decided to erase all traces of their existence on Sol, including some moons, and went to the center of the galaxy, eventually "upgrading" themselves into the Grox. :o