Author Topic: My First 12 Hours With The US PSP - Simply Amazing.....  (Read 3546 times)

Offline Sully

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
My First 12 Hours With The US PSP - Simply Amazing.....
« on: March 24, 2005, 10:19:48 am »
Well I walked into Wal-Mart last night at about 11:30 and there was not a soul to be seen. Dropped $250 for the value pack along with $40 for Twisted Metal Head On. Drove home at warp speed.

1.Opened all the packaging, plugged in the battery, mem card (crap are they small), headphones & remote, hand strap, started a fire with the 400 page manual and flipped the switch to on with the included demo sampler disc and watched with amazement.

2. Picked my jaw up off the floor, changed underwear.

3. Played Twisted Metal for about 6 hours.

4. Repeat Step 2

5. Watched Spider Man 2

6. Repeat Step 2.

Anyways this thing is flippin gorgeous. I have never seen anything like it. External speakers kinda stink but w/headphones it rocks. Will write up some more later, must sleep. Thank you Sony  ;D

Offline CrimsonSapien

• Fire Truck Driver
  • Syntax error in line 20: UserCS=Wrong
    • View Profile
Re: My First 12 Hours With The US PSP - Simply Amazing.....
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 01:19:54 am »
Did know that you have a +2 volume setting in the configuration menu for UMD movies?

Told my wife about it and she said, "you spent $250.00 on a toy!?!?" (go figure. ::) ) Brought it home, and popped Spiderman2 in and watched her become hypnotized. Then I told her about all of the features, and she was like: "This is the most beutiful device I have ever seen!" And this coming from a woman who dislikes video games (except Tetris) and gadgets.

Found out something somewhat interesting about the device, the wallpaper changes color monthly. (this month is a bright green, next month is hot pink.) Change the month and see what I mean. It is not so much the color changes itself that interests me, but more so that Sony has added this odd detail.

Unfortunately, because I am overseas and my PSP is region one, I am limited to what games selection is over here for me to buy. I went to the store yesterday and all they had for games was a soccer game and Gretzky Ice Hockey. I am not a big fan of sports games on the console or the PC, but I am a fan of Hockey, so I thought it *might* work out.

The game is not half bad, the graphics are typical IMO of what you would find on the PS2, loads of selections, and lightening fast game speed. The only draw back is the load time between each game (about 4-6 seconds.), and the games tendancy to lag or hiccup during saves. The game is allright, but nothing to solely base the purchase of a PSP on. (I purchased it for the thought of PS2 quality GTA III on the go.). I am going to try a few more stores today and see if I can locate some other games.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 01:26:47 am by CrimsonSapien »
If you spend word for word with me, I shall make your wit bankrupt.

Offline Sully

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 07:22:28 am »
Don't worry about the regions for games. You can import anything you want and play it. I think the only thin that is region locked is movies.

Offline CrimsonSapien

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 07:44:57 am »
I don't think so, I looked on the back of Gretzky game and there is a small rounded black square with a white wire frame sphere in the lower left of it and a big white number one in the upper left of it. I looked at the German Ridge Racer, it has the same markings except it has the number two instead. Coincidently these numbers coincide with the DVD regions as well. So I believe Sony has done it to us all again.  :(

Offline Sully

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 09:31:55 am »

Offline CrimsonSapien

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 09:40:43 am »
Ahhh that explains it, thanks for the link.

Offline flyinvr6

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 10:27:14 pm »
What kind of battery life are you experiencing with.....

gameplay?
movies?
music playback?
with WiFi on/off?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Sully

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2005, 05:23:39 am »
Well experience is still limited but...

You can shut the display off when listening to MP3's so I almost went 10 hours on one charge.
Gameplay and Movies seems to be in the 4-6 hour range
Gameplay with Wi-Fi on seems to be about 3-4