Author Topic: Beach front property.  (Read 2755 times)

Offline outlander_biz

• Microvision Master
  • Muwahaha (evil laugh, shh don't tell anyone)
    • View Profile
Beach front property.
« on: September 26, 2008, 04:37:27 pm »
I don't know if anyone mentioned this before(tried searching and found nothing), But I've discovered a way to start Civ phase with a city on the beach.

Basically what you do is, during the creature phase when your colony migrates for the second time, instad of going to the first nest you come to, you can follow the dotted line further and reach a different nest, that is close to the beach.  I've noticed that the creatures near the second nest are slightly harder than the ones on the first nest, and also most nests are further away(which can be a problem sometimes, if carnivore).  But by doing this you do start with a sea port in civ phase and can cap all the spice in the oceans before other cities have a chance to sprout up, giving you an advantage.

I believe in compulsory cannibalism. If people were forced to eat what they killed there would be no more war

Offline Neini

• Akalabeth Addict
  • BUNNY SMASH PUNY HUMANS!
    • View Profile
Re: Beach front property.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 04:40:28 pm »
I had a tribe spawn on water once, it's very rare.

Getting fruit and moving around was a pain, however, seeing as I couldn't select anything.

Offline LXIndustries

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 04:47:43 pm »
When i am in the space stage and put down a colony, is there a way to make that colony 'beach front property'?
I have tried to terraform this to happen, but my city just makes angry faces at me.

Offline TDKenyon

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
    • Neu Age
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 06:59:20 pm »
When i am in the space stage and put down a colony, is there a way to make that colony 'beach front property'?
I have tried to terraform this to happen, but my city just makes angry faces at me.
IIRC, you can use a lower terrain, pond, or sea sculpting tool on one side of the city, and it will become a sea-side city.

This is second-hand information, so forgive me if it's wrong.

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 07:01:51 pm »
I spawned near water when I played the game.  I thought everyone did.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 07:28:17 pm »
IIRC, you can use a lower terrain, pond, or sea sculpting tool on one side of the city, and it will become a sea-side city.

This is second-hand information, so forgive me if it's wrong.

AFAIK, it still doesn't make it a seaport city.

@Sub: yea everybody does, but you soon migrate somewhere else. There are other nests around the continent that you can relocate to and reset as your homebase.

Offline TDKenyon

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
    • Neu Age
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 07:39:52 pm »
I thought everyone did as well, otherwise you wouldn't be a contender for sea-based spice until you conquered a sea city. Which would suck.

Offline jydnys

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 08:02:42 pm »
I thought everyone did as well, otherwise you wouldn't be a contender for sea-based spice until you conquered a sea city. Which would suck.

Even if you start as a sea based city, you still need to conquer another city to produce sea vehicles.  If you start on the mainland, just pick off one of your (many) seaside neighbors

Offline DylanTK

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 10:41:45 pm »
Monopolizing the all the spice on my continent [which is usually 4] is plenty for me. I'm also quite good at maximizing happiness and spice production in my cities, so I usually end up with more money than I know what to do with... Still... starting on the beach does sound cool for purely aesthetic reasons.

Offline Crowster

• Defender Devotee
  • It's Crow-Time, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • The Adventures of Crow-Man
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 11:01:41 pm »

Even if you start as a sea based city, you still need to conquer another city to produce sea vehicles.  If you start on the mainland, just pick off one of your (many) seaside neighbors

Are you absolutely sure about this? Usually if I start out with an ocean city (which I did with my first 3 games), I get the "build a sea vehicle" mission thing right after I capture my first spice geyser.

Offline FR27

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • Ooo...shiny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2008, 10:35:15 pm »

As long as you have a seaside city you can build sea vehicles, even at the start. Of course you have to design or pick a sea vehicle first, but you don't need to capture an enemy city first. :P
Long time lurker.
My Spore Page:
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Acalanai