Author Topic: EA hit with class action suit over 'Spore'  (Read 33441 times)

Offline AlfredO

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
Re: EA hit with class action suit over 'Spore'
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 01:58:08 pm »
EA, here's something to help! :P
Find your link for your official announcement for the SecuRom. I know I saw it.
Tell them they could have looked there.
Wow. Are you kidding? You're the only person in the world that doesn't hate EA. Maxis made the game, not EA. EA just published it, rushed it, and probably made the only decisions we don't like about the game.

EA buys out all the good game companies, then tanks them with their terrible knowledge of video game production.  They deserve to go down and free all of those little companies who got bought out.

They're a money hungry, mega rich, umbrella corp. Why do you want them to save pocket change so bad? Everyone who installed it that didn't know about SecuRom should be reimbursed.

Offline Crowster

• Defender Devotee
  • It's Crow-Time, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • The Adventures of Crow-Man
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2008, 02:14:04 pm »
EA, here's something to help! :P
Find your link for your official announcement for the SecuRom. I know I saw it.
Tell them they could have looked there.
Wow. Are you kidding? You're the only person in the world that doesn't hate EA. Maxis made the game, not EA. EA just published it, rushed it, and probably made the only decisions we don't like about the game.

EA buys out all the good game companies, then tanks them with their terrible knowledge of video game production.  They deserve to go down and free all of those little companies who got bought out.

They're a money hungry, mega rich, umbrella corp. Why do you want them to save pocket change so bad? Everyone who installed it that didn't know about SecuRom should be reimbursed.

To be fair, many of those developers probably wouldn't continue to exist today if it weren't for EA. Maxis was, more or less, on its way out. If it weren't for EA, they wouldn't have been able to develop the original Sims, which was the game that gave Maxis its second wind.

It's not a black and white issue. However, at times, EA has been known to abuse its position of power. It wasn't that long ago that they were getting in trouble over human rights issues, over-working and under-paying their employees. Anyone remember that? Last I heard, they were on the up and up as far as that issue is concerned, now I'd really like to see the DRM issue go the same way. Protecting your software is fine, but not when you start stripping away at the rights of your consumers.

The only question I have about this lawsuit is, "Why did you have to wait until SPORE?" This lawsuit should have happened some time ago, I think.

Offline Techleo

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2008, 02:26:06 pm »
 We have heard all of these points. I think in the end everyone of us is right. About different aspects of the situation. EA helps fund, which kept the smaller companies afloat. Increasing programming costs were killing companies in the 1990's. Then companies merged or were bought out. Its just like TV, Radio and every other form of media. We left the small fry phase. Even the smaller companies are bigger then the largest in the old days. Well with a few exceptions. We just need to come to grips with the reality gaming is going to become the norm.

Offline DylanTK

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2008, 03:37:02 pm »
Well, here's my two cents... I do think that all software companies should be required by law to inform buyers of what the installation actually entails. This information should be on the OUTSIDE of the box. Someone was saying something about the return policy for game stores, and I know first hand that there are store chains that will NOT take back software that has already been opened.. this of course is to prevent copies being made. So, what? People unfortunate enough to buy from one of those stores are just out of luck because they don't have x-ray vision? I don't see info on it inside the box either, for that matter, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong..

Furthermore, this is my theory on how Spore ended up hacked and online before it ever hit the shelves.. I'd be willing to bet that a Maxis employee, after finding out about the over-the-top anti-piracy software, either deliberately leaked the game to be hacked, or perhaps even did it themselves in order to make a point.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2008, 04:02:44 pm »
From what i know about DRM, it's a like a guy who comes to you house when you buy a car, checks that it isn't stolen by looking through your bank statments and drinking all of your beer, and makes such a mess of your house and life in general that some people have to sell their house and get a new one.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Techleo

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 04:06:57 pm »
 Back of the manual states there is Securerom. As well as some other interesting tidbits. It should be noted a company doesn't have to make the information available when it comes to security measures. Companies are afforded some leeway in that matter. I don't think its right in this case because you cant uninstall securerom. THAT is the true infringement. Permanent manifestation is illegal if not noted. Which its not. Most of there case will be thrown out. On most of the accounts. The permanence issue could drag on IF its established as a issue in court and if the people have the money to pursue the case that long.  Now the only issue is people can learn that securerom is permanent. Establish that they should have told people more explicitly and ooooh boy, EA would be in deeeeep trouble.

Well in anycase thats up to the courts to decide. If the suit passes you could expect a substantial set of measures put into place.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2008, 04:11:03 pm »
Also, if data of our hard drives is sent back to EA without telling us or warning, we can kick their asses for infringing the Data Protection Act. So thus we can say, if fined for piracy: "Can't touch this!" then break into dance.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2008, 04:12:12 pm »
It is Quasi permanent. But is hard to uninstall and requests a lot of knowhow. Especially if you do it manually without any tools made specifically for the job.

Well for them to have a case then they need a really good lawyer. Different nations have different laws but i am pretty sure that a good lawyers is always good to have on your side ;)
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Techleo

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2008, 04:18:46 pm »
 ALWAYS good to have a lawyer friends! My cousin is one, does family work for free. Boy howdy thats nice! ;D

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2008, 04:21:42 pm »
Or one could study law one self. >_>
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline DylanTK

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2008, 04:37:11 pm »
Back of the manual states there is Securerom.

*squints at teeny-tiny font* So it does... I didn't realize that's what OpenSSL was at first [providing that's what you're talking about since I don't see anything explicitly stating Securom is included], which is a problem all on its own for the average buyer [and trust me when I say I know a lot more about computers than the average buyer and I didn't realize what it was]... My opinion still stands about it needing to be available outside of the box for stores that don't allow the return of opened software, and to be less obscure since most people would say "OpenSSL... wtf, mate?"... Something like... "this game contains anti-piracy software created by such-and-such all rights reserved blah-blah-blah," would be sufficient.. I looked at their website and found this all-caps warning interesting:

"PLEASE REMEMBER THAT EXPORT/IMPORT AND/OR USE OF STRONG CRYPTOGRAPHY SOFTWARE, PROVIDING CRYPTOGRAPHY HOOKS OR EVEN JUST COMMUNICATING TECHNICAL DETAILS ABOUT CRYPTOGRAPHY SOFTWARE IS ILLEGAL IN SOME PARTS OF THE WORLD. SO, WHEN YOU IMPORT THIS PACKAGE TO YOUR COUNTRY, RE-DISTRIBUTE IT FROM THERE OR EVEN JUST EMAIL TECHNICAL SUGGESTIONS OR EVEN SOURCE PATCHES TO THE AUTHOR OR OTHER PEOPLE YOU ARE STRONGLY ADVISED TO PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO ANY EXPORT/IMPORT AND/OR USE LAWS WHICH APPLY TO YOU. THE AUTHORS OF OPENSSL ARE NOT LIABLE FOR ANY VIOLATIONS YOU MAKE HERE. SO BE CAREFUL, IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. "

Does this mean that it's legal in all the countries where Spore is now available, or that there is actually a second version of Spore without that software for countries where it is illegal.. Hmmm.. You have to wonder why any country would allow such invasive software to be legal.

As an aside for anyone who is curious, BestBuy is the lousy d**k who treated me like a criminal for trying to return a game that lied when it said it was XP compatible.. Ah, remember the days when XP first came out? The compatibility issues were insane. I was eventually able to play the game on one of my Dad's old computers that still had Win '98 on it, but that's not the point... The point is that because I opened the package I was SoL. I've boycotted that evil store chain ever since.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 05:02:35 pm by DylanTK »

Offline legojedij

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
    • ZTV
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2008, 04:41:02 pm »
see this is the reason i dont have spore yet because of sucurom can mess up my computer and i cant uninstall it. and to the post above about some versions not having sucurom, i want that kind of copy of spore

Offline Ryuukuro

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2008, 04:58:39 pm »
On the one hand I hope the plantiffs win but not if they get money out of this.  A patch to de-DRM Spore would be great but no one deserves their money back unless they can prove their computer got messed up by Spore.  If something like that happens to anyone, whether they knew about the DRM or not then they ought to be compensated but, otherwise, I don't have that much sympathy for them.  It was difficult for me to decide whether or not to put Spore on my computer but I decided to take the plunge and I'm glad I did it (major Space game glitch aside.)
"It's just a game!  Stop complaining!"  - Me

"Earth is the Kingdom of Who-Gives-a-****" - Will Wright

Offline immortius

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2008, 05:46:27 pm »
OpenSSL != Securom.  OpenSSL is an open source implementation of SSL (Secure Socket Layer), which is a technique for communicating in a secure manner over the internet.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 05:48:17 pm by immortius »

Offline Absinth

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Check out my creatures on the sporepedia
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2008, 08:19:07 pm »
When you installed Spore you had to agree with the EULA (End-User License Agreement).
Btw you never own the software you payed for, you only bought the right to install and use the program/game.
In the EULA Securom is mentioned and what it does as well.
Once you agree with the EULA you basically cannot claim you didn't know, in best case this action suit will only make them have to mention that it uses Securom on the box.
Spore has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men.

My sporepedia page
My gamingsteve creature page