Author Topic: The "Things I Stupidly Didn't Know About Spore" thread  (Read 42782 times)

Offline Klinn

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
Re: The "Things I Stupidly Didn't Know About Spore" thread
« Reply #120 on: October 28, 2008, 09:19:09 am »
For the longest time, I didn't realize that the your space ship's scanner beam pointed in roughly the direction you should travel to find the rare object or planet tool.  :-[  Yeah, I felt pretty dumb when I finally caught on...

(BTW, nice crow stories)

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 28, 2008, 09:43:40 am »
I've noticed that occasionally it can give you a false signal. This usually happens on the eradicate missions or eco disaster ones when there are many targets and I guess it gets confused sometimes and gives a false signal. I just move on so that it will switch to a different target.

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
« Reply #122 on: October 28, 2008, 11:12:17 am »
I've noticed that occasionally it can give you a false signal. This usually happens on the eradicate missions or eco disaster ones when there are many targets and I guess it gets confused sometimes and gives a false signal. I just move on so that it will switch to a different target.

It will pick up any artifacts or rares that might be around... it will point at whichever is closer.  which IMHO is dumb.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 28, 2008, 11:19:04 am »

It will pick up any artifacts or rares that might be around... it will point at whichever is closer.  which IMHO is dumb.

I don't have that as an issue, at least you will know ahead of time if there is a relic or whatever on the planet. As far as what I said, I'm not sure if its because the graphic for the creature or whatever didn't load yet or what, but most of the time it is a false signal.

Offline Vetro

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Behold Life.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 28, 2008, 03:45:23 pm »
I was observing a planet that was part way uplifted (civ phase) and I got some interesting results while observing, apparently when an epic enters a city the citizens will ruthlessly try to kill it (even using spit sometimes) and when buildings are damaged you can zoom in to see fire coming out of some of the windows and one of the citizens runs out of the town hall with a tiny little pump and starts spraying water all over the building while it heals, plus when cities are taken over they use the same animations (flags, instruments, money bags) as you do in civ phase, now if only tribe was more interesting to watch..... (I think I may have a few pictures of the planet, i'll try uploading them later)
"The Finest ship in my estimation that has ever been built or ever will be"- Captain Bertram Hayes, RMS Olympic

Offline Blulightning

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Radioactive Kitty!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 28, 2008, 03:52:21 pm »

I don't have that as an issue, at least you will know ahead of time if there is a relic or whatever on the planet. As far as what I said, I'm not sure if its because the graphic for the creature or whatever didn't load yet or what, but most of the time it is a false signal.

The game doesn't give you false signals.
Sometimes you just need to zoom in toward the ground so that the creatures will load, sometimes they are in the trees, and sometimes they are rares like the other person said.
The game always points toward the NEAREST objective, beeper faster and longer as you get closer to it.
You should be able to see the 'ooze' trail from the creatures though.

If the game is giving you bad signals, I'm guessing it is related to a problem in your game, because I have never, ever had that problem.

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
« Reply #126 on: October 28, 2008, 04:56:39 pm »
Sometimes you just need to zoom in toward the ground so that the creatures will load, sometimes they are in the trees, and sometimes they are rares like the other person said.
The game always points toward the NEAREST objective, beeper faster and longer as you get closer to it.
No, it doesn't have to be an objective.  Planet painting and terraforming art tools will set it off for instance, as will random objects that are unrelated to any of your missions.  It seems a no-brainer that during a timed eco-mission all you want to detect is infected creatures.

You should be able to see the 'ooze' trail from the creatures though.
The glowing trail isn't always there either.  Sometimes i complete the missions by lasering the area that my radar indicates without any other indication that something is there.  Lowering the graphics settings tends to help in my experience, but i haven't figured out exactly what sets it off.

Offline IamMe

• Gorf Goon
  • +200 Points!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 28, 2008, 05:00:17 pm »
Well, it's your problem, not the game's. It doesn't give off false signals, you just have a crappy computer/graphics card. :/

Offline Ozymandias

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 29, 2008, 08:26:18 am »
I have seen a couple of times other creatures attack and kill one of the infected creatures, the ooze doesn't seem to transfer but your radar points to the killer of the infected creature.

I wondered if it was intentional at first, as in they got the virus from eating an infected but then why wouldn't they have made the ooze transfer too.

Offline Klinn

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
« Reply #129 on: October 29, 2008, 09:15:15 am »
The glowing trail isn't always there either.  Sometimes i complete the missions by lasering the area that my radar indicates without any other indication that something is there.  Lowering the graphics settings tends to help in my experience, but i haven't figured out exactly what sets it off.

I've seen the same thing occasionally. I wonder if it's a graphical z-order sorting glitch. That is, if the polygons that the glowing effect is applied to are positioned underground (if the creature happens to be very slightly 'submerged') so the terrain effectively covers up the glowing trail.

What really gets me is when I zoom down to save some planet and the terrain itself is bright yellow. Good luck finding the glowing trail! ;D You gotta hope you can find enough infected creatures over on the night side of the planet.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 29, 2008, 10:12:38 am »
Well, it's your problem, not the game's. It doesn't give off false signals, you just have a crappy computer/graphics card. :/

No, there is a bug with giving a false signal. I've had it happen a few times. I get an eco mission, fly in to the first guy and zap him. The target lists as dead, the body is there, but the radar keeps targetting him. If I fly away I can find two other sets of two and kill them, so I know I didn't have a hidden second at the first site.

Now for the 'Stupid Things List' addition:

When populating a planet you are terraforming, placing herbivores too far away from planets causes them to die from starvation.

For those wondering how I did that, you run a planet from T0 to T1, and drop your three plants. You then need to get moving again because a small fleet of angry aliens is trying to kill you. You fly to the other side of the planet and drop your herbivores, who will promptly die from lack of food because it hasn't spread around the globe yet.

-Lego

Offline Vetro

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Behold Life.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 16, 2008, 04:52:02 pm »
Darn it.... another useful thread wonders into the limbo of inactiveness. Anyways, I just noticed a few days ago that spaceships from other civilizations will actually visit star systems by themselves, it was interesting to see an aliens ship zip into an uninhabited system I was in and slingshot around the star, passing my ship for a split second before zipping off to whatever star system that was its target. I've also noticed ships travel from star to star during wars (AI v AI).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 04:53:46 pm by Vetro »
"The Finest ship in my estimation that has ever been built or ever will be"- Captain Bertram Hayes, RMS Olympic

Offline WIlbur1340

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 22, 2008, 02:49:18 pm »
First post  ;)

What a helpful thread!

My contribution:

I didn't know how many bills would stack up because I was playing Spore and ignoring them.

I didn't realize that the mouse wheel would resize stuff in the creature/vehicle creators.

Offline Webbstre

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 23, 2008, 01:31:25 am »
My first post too....

I didn't know that the Grox could visit you while you are still in the creature stage... that caught me off guard.

For a long time I didn't know that the easiest way to win with relgion or military in civ phase is to make two models of your vehicles: one with maxed speed and one with maxed weaponry/conversion stuff. All you have to do is click a city you have, set it to the speedy vehicle, send them to whatever town you want to attack, click your city and pick the weaponry/religious ship from your sporepedia, then attack. With the pause button it becomes unbelievably easy.

Offline Vetro

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Behold Life.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 25, 2008, 07:27:47 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Anyways: Today I came across a few interesting little features. When I got to the point where the atmosphere of a planet was extremely thin (the edge of space) and tried a few of my weapons at a handful of pirates I was surprised that it made literally no sound, I thought this was a bug at first until I remembered that sound was simply the vibration of the air, strangely there is sound in space but not in the upper atmosphere. I also found out that the size of the mouth determines the sound it makes. If you scale a mouth up the sound will be lower, if it remains small the sound will be higher pitched, there is indeed quite a lot of detail jammed into Spore.