Author Topic: The "Things I Stupidly Didn't Know About Spore" thread  (Read 37797 times)

Offline AtmaDarkwolf

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: The "Things I Stupidly Didn't Know About Spore" thread
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2008, 01:50:17 pm »
It's so that you have to work for it and if you didn't have to get to the middle or over, the social thing would be mind-numbingly easy because you could just let the other creatures do all the work.

In other words, it's a game balancing mechanism.

(*Pssst --  I know, was kinda pointing that out to the guy before me :P*)

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2008, 10:09:37 pm »
I recently discovered that the quality of the thumbnail varies greatly with your graphics settings.  In other words if you want your creatures to look good in the sporepedia, max out the graphic settings just before you save.

Thumbnails look significantly better when you in saved at max quality compared to what i need them set at for smooth play.

I notice the difference more on vehicles and buildings than creatures.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 10:26:53 pm by eleazar »

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2008, 11:40:14 pm »
I discovered a better one.

When you are in dialog with a space empire, and you mouse over the name of the species at the top of the window, it reveals all + and - factors of your relationship.

This is the same information you get when mousing over the little picture under the "communicate" button, but it is not available there when you are talking to an empire.

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2008, 05:44:28 am »
Any time you see a face you can mouse over it to see why the feel that way in space.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2008, 06:53:14 am »
Any time you see a face you can mouse over it to see why the feel that way in space.

Only problem though, they dissapear too quickly. Didn't know this bit either.

Offline Techleo

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2008, 07:10:48 am »
 I just noticed something in Civ stage. If you attack a city religiously and just select a bunch of troops and then select convert it will work but there is a better way. If you select each individual unit and select each building one by one you can disable all of them. The one unit to convert, maybe 2 preferably it will convert the city instantly instead of taking time ;D Once I realized that Civ stage got so short since I could essentially make 10 units and wipe out any city!

Offline Neini

• Akalabeth Addict
  • BUNNY SMASH PUNY HUMANS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2008, 07:39:15 am »
I used to never know that atmosphere tools would change the direction of the arrow, so I always used the Atmosphere Generator. Now I don't use that tool anymore because the other ones are more useful.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2008, 07:42:34 am »
I used to never know that atmosphere tools would change the direction of the arrow, so I always used the Atmosphere Generator. Now I don't use that tool anymore because the other ones are more useful.

Yea, those other tools which require only energy and no ammo are much more useful and much more powerful. You can actually control how you want to do it with precision.

Some things don't require precision though, like wreaking havoc on an enemy planets T score, in that case, just fire full blast and keep firing.

The atmosphere generator is more important early on when you are working on the badge to get those other atmospheric tools.

Offline HarvesteR

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2008, 11:29:53 am »
it took me a good amount of time to figure out that different species in Space have different rates for Spice and other tools... no wonder making money was so hard at first  :P

now it's a breeze... buy low, sell high... and you're set... no need to even collect your own  8)

Offline HarvesteR

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2008, 11:49:28 am »
it took me a good amount of time to figure out that different species in Space have different rates for Spice and other tools... no wonder making money was so hard at first  :P

now it's a breeze... buy low, sell high... and you're set... no need to even collect your own  8)

oh and i still don't know what that little UFO bar on top of the badge bar on Space Stage means... is it possibly your progress towards the center??  ???  :-[

Offline Kenobro

• Space Harrier
  • I am not a robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2008, 11:55:16 am »
Ding ding ding, Harvester!

You get a cookie!

Quote from: Grazony
Thanks Kenobro. :)

Offline HarvesteR

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2008, 12:17:00 pm »
*eats cookie*  ;D

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2008, 05:09:32 pm »
I did no realize you could do separate attacks just like you can have separate musical solo's in social stance.

I also still can't figure out how to skip phases within a game. Such as play cell creature then skip tribe and then play civ and space. I was told once that you wait 15 mins and then it unlocks but i have played on tribal for an hour once and it still never unlocked. Atleast not where i could find it. What am i missing?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 05:18:32 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2008, 07:22:10 pm »
I was told once that you wait 15 mins and then it unlocks but i have played on tribal for an hour once and it still never unlocked. Atleast not where i could find it. What am i missing?

IIRC that "unlocking" is the unlocking that allows you to start in a later stage.  I.E. when you first installed Spore you couldn't start a game in any stage but Cell.  Then once you played at least 15 mins (or whatever the threshold is) even if you didn't finish cell you could start a new game in creature stage... etc.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2008, 03:14:05 am »
I was told once that you wait 15 mins and then it unlocks but i have played on tribal for an hour once and it still never unlocked. Atleast not where i could find it. What am i missing?

IIRC that "unlocking" is the unlocking that allows you to start in a later stage.  I.E. when you first installed Spore you couldn't start a game in any stage but Cell.  Then once you played at least 15 mins (or whatever the threshold is) even if you didn't finish cell you could start a new game in creature stage... etc.

Then whats the Prima Guide talking about when it says things like "Carnivore -> Neutral -> unplayed -> Economic -> Scientist" How is someones suppose to skip one phase in the middle?