Author Topic: Undecorated Spore objects  (Read 8890 times)

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
Re: Undecorated Spore objects
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2008, 04:03:56 pm »
I made this a little while ago. Perhaps YOU could benefit from these secret insider tips? :3
<a href="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ouHja66J8k8" target="_blank">http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ouHja66J8k8</a>

MAXIS! TAKE NOTE! This should be the Intro-Video for Spore. Seriously. -_- :-p
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Darcie

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Darcie's Spore
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2008, 04:40:15 pm »
LOL!  Great video, if only getting featured were that simple.  Still, I know the feeling.  I can't stand it how every now and then even on my own account I find grey versions upload (I delete them asap), but it happens too easy... I actually got a Maxis item that was unpainted in a game once too.

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2008, 04:40:51 pm »
Good job, i made a few thing i thoguht would get features but i guess not :-\
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2008, 09:17:29 pm »
Uroboros, that is awesome!

And yes, that should really be the intro for the game.

Offline SL

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2008, 10:12:52 pm »
Personally, I've got around 46 people on my buddy list and "buddy content only" enabled, and so far I haven't seen any uncolored stuff yet.

I don't like to use the ban feature because there's no separation between "remove from my game" and "report this to EA and potentially get this person banned from the online spore service." I really don't like that. I don't want to get someone banned for having some unpainted ship or something - otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to ban it.

Anything I upload that's uncolored/textured, or multiple uploaded versions of a model, I delete from both the online sporepedia and my in-game sporepedia once I've made the finished version. But if I uploaded something like that, it's probably by mistake, because:

When working on buildings/vehicles in-game, you don't HAVE to ever upload an uncolored/textured one (even if there's a chance you might crash during texturing): I tested this the other day to find out if there was a way to avoid the auto-upload, and found that the small save button saves it locally but doesn't trigger an auto-upload. Only the green checkmark button triggers the auto-upload. So you can just click the save button (it looks like a disk) whenever you like until you're completely done, and then hit the green checkmark button when you want to upload.

If you want to get out of the editor without auto-uploading, you can also hit the small save button and then click the x button which is right next to the green checkmark button. If you just saved, the x button won't cause you to lose any work.

Of course, that doesn't work when evolving creatures, since there's no separate save button, so you just have to deal with it then.

Offline Logan Felipe

• Ultima Lord
  • SAND JABBA!
    • View Profile
    • Personal World Clock
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2008, 11:02:24 pm »
I made this a little while ago. Perhaps YOU could benefit from these secret insider tips? :3
*video*

Spore! Star Wars! Dinosaurs!
Fanfic!

I blame what I call the Scopes Law (When discussing evolution in the presence of a creationist, the discussion always becomes a religious debate).

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2008, 09:57:30 am »
Personally, I've got around 46 people on my buddy list and "buddy content only" enabled, and so far I haven't seen any uncolored stuff yet.
The thing with me is, i'm incredibly picky. I've only subscribed to four people, and I cancelled a buddyship with a fifth simply because they had so much stuff that in an 'unthemed' game, 75% of the stuff would be theirs. It got tiresome. I still like to be surprised, even by mediocre content, but I cant bring myself to subscribe unless a person has an ongoing theme and level of quality that I can really get into. I'd do the "buddy content only" if only I could muster the energy to dig around for people with content themes I enjoy. Its a shame there isn't some kind of floodgate for the public mode too, because having a fresh 400 pieces of random user content every time I opened the game was making it hard to personally filter out the stuff I really wasnt keen on. D'oh well.

I just think that the public mode would be a lot better if even the... less creative content... was at least given an auto-paint scheme. Perhaps a reminder before finishing and auto-sharing, "dont forget to paint it!". I'd like to make a gray/white based spaceship or building sometime, but it pains me that it just keeps reminding me of these unfinished creations, heh. Some of us just dont have the whole creative spirit going on, and I can appreciate that, but the paint schemes are there for a reason. Plus having a name with an occasional vowel and a lack of numbers is a bonus.  xP

Offline MisterBibs

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2008, 11:57:06 am »
I wonder how many uncolored items are specifically uncolored so that anyone who likes the shape of an object can color it however they want.

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2008, 12:19:54 pm »
I know what you all mean, it's annoying when it happens that things are unpainted - but I'm also guilty of that myself!
Not on purpose. What happens is that spent a long time creating a building (or whatever) and then I hit save to make sure my work isn't lost by crash or whatever, only it exits the editor without warning and accepts what you made as the final product.
I've stopped doing this as I'm now aware of it of course, but I fell prey to this at least 3 times.
There are a lot of users out there, if most of them get tricked by reflexes the same way, it will add up to a buttload of unpainted stuff.

It would be nice if it didn't auto-upload our unpainted stuff, and when we're about to exit the editor with an unpainted item. It does it for creatures so why not?

Offline Pietoro

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2008, 02:08:40 pm »
I wonder how many uncolored items are specifically uncolored so that anyone who likes the shape of an object can color it however they want.

If that's so, people should write that in their descriptions. Too many things get put up with no tags or anything.
"Ooh rabba la dee teeb, ooh babba labba squeeb!"

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2008, 03:05:48 pm »
If you use the actual "save" button in the shape of a disk, instead of the "save and exit back to the game" tick-button, it will save a copy of it without auto-uploading it.

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
Please, people, paint your vehicles
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2008, 11:59:45 am »
I don't know if it's a bug or what but a not-insignificant number of vehicles and sometimes buildings that get downloaded aren't painted. I delete all of them. Are people really stupid enough to not know you can paint your creations? That was a rhetorical question because I know the answer is yes. Also judging by the amount of simple words misspelled in titles I assume most Spore players are about 6. Am I wrong?
Yeah, [Kishmond] came back from Africa, but the ponies have him now.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
Re: Please, people, paint your vehicles
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2008, 12:19:04 pm »

Offline Techleo

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2008, 12:20:28 pm »
 Well actually a considerable amount of middle age Americans cant spell worth beans. So don't judge there spelling skills as a reason for lack of painting. Generally its a reflex issue I notice. Ill make a building, want to move on and then hit ok before painting.

P.S. Great video!

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2008, 01:30:02 pm »
I don't know if it's a bug or what but a not-insignificant number of vehicles and sometimes buildings that get downloaded aren't painted. I delete all of them. Are people really stupid enough to not know you can paint your creations? That was a rhetorical question because I know the answer is yes. Also judging by the amount of simple words misspelled in titles I assume most Spore players are about 6. Am I wrong?

I always paint mine...

Its entirely possible that some of them are actually saves before they started painting them. As far as simple words misspelled in titles, could you give an example?