Author Topic: Underappreciated Games  (Read 12743 times)

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Games
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2006, 03:44:34 pm »
SuperPower 2 for the PC. That game didnt get nearly the amount of credit it deserved.

Offline Damned_Zombie

• Cobra Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2006, 05:07:26 pm »
Lord of the Rings: War of the Ring. This was generally considered the "poor man's Warcraft 3" but i had fun all the same. I even liked it better than any other RTS because it was so simple, even if it was a little unbalanced (Aragorn was a godly beast!). Nothing more fun than massing an orc army and watching them battle the your friend's pathetic gondorian army  :D

Offline XLNS

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2006, 01:54:35 pm »
Psyconauts, man that was the funniest game in recent years, anyone who missed it should pick it up!

Also Elder Scrolls: Reguard on the PC was a game that due to some poor fighting mechanics didn't get the attention it deserved,
as all of the Elder Scroll games it was a real epic game with awesome graphics and great story.

Another game that was just great was Gabriel Knight 3, best story in a game ever.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2006, 02:44:24 pm »
Psychonauts, man that was the funniest game in recent years, anyone who missed it should pick it up!

I just rented it, I'm inside that crazy painter's head. It is a hilarious game, the main character sounds an awful lot like Zim. By the way, Oleander is an herb that alters your heart's pattern and kills you. I saw that on the discovery channel the day after I played the game for the first time.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline BPM

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2006, 06:53:13 pm »
Lords of the Realm II - I really enjoyed this title. Oddly enough, despite it being a sequel and there's a third one too, I don't know many gamers who have played this game. Surely they most exist but I don't see or hear this game mentioned locally or online so for that reason I say its underappreciated.

Man, I remember spending waaaaaaay too much time playing Lord of the Realm II... It's just the type of game that even nowadays I could go back to and it would still be a fun game to play no matter how outdated it might look. One of the best strategy games EVER!

Also:

Ogre Batttle and Ogre Battle 64 - Never before had I felt so attached to characters I "raised" and "nurtured" myself.
Castle Shikigami 2 - Ungodly hard and fun shmup!
Noiz 2 - maybe not a well know game, but the funnest shmup available on the web! (http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/java/noiz2_e.html if you want to give it a try)

and that's all I an think of off the top of my head, I'm sure there are tons more.
Currently playing:

Rocket Slime (DS)             Guitar Hero II (PS2)
Resistance (PS3)               Zelda (Wii)

So many good games, so little time...

Offline XLNS

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2006, 03:02:23 am »
Psychonauts, man that was the funniest game in recent years, anyone who missed it should pick it up!

I just rented it, I'm inside that crazy painter's head. It is a hilarious game, the main character sounds an awful lot like Zim. By the way, Oleander is an herb that alters your heart's pattern and kills you. I saw that on the discovery channel the day after I played the game for the first time.

Wait until you get into the paranoid guys head, that part was hilarious :)

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2006, 06:23:07 am »
I was already in his head, he's the one who lets me into the assylum where I found Fred Bonaparte, the Mexican artist, and that crazy dead actress.

But yeah, he was hilarious. "I am a skilled phone repairman." "Hello, fellow road-worker. I am working on the roads." That was the craziest level so far, puts all the others to shame.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
  • mimsy: adj. - flimsy and miserable :(
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2006, 08:18:27 am »
I can't pick a favorite part...so much of Psychonauts was so funny. 

Make sure you use the Clairvoyance power a lot.  Funny stuff.  I just wish I hadn't accidentally overwritten my save after going to point of no return at the end :(

Recently I tried Drill Dozer.  Great game.  And it's got a rumble pak built into the GBA cartridge :)
Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Check out my games:  http://www.meyermike.com

Offline T-BirD

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2006, 11:37:51 am »

Yeah, a very fun shmup :)  I didn't think it was all that hard until the late levels, but then again, I've never quite finished it either.

As far as I know, the only way to get it was as a Dreamcast or Gamecube import - so obviously that would limit its success a bit around here.

Offline BPM

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2006, 06:02:13 pm »

Yeah, a very fun shmup :) I didn't think it was all that hard until the late levels, but then again, I've never quite finished it either.

As far as I know, the only way to get it was as a Dreamcast or Gamecube import - so obviously that would limit its success a bit around here.

They re-released it for the PS2 a while back with some unintentionally hilarious english translations. I found it on the bargain bin of my local Gamestop for about $12, an awesome value/cost ratio. =)
Currently playing:

Offline BPM

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2006, 09:01:14 pm »
Damn, forgot to mention Bushido Blade 2 in my last post...
Very fun game, especially when you have people who can play it well to play with you. =)
Currently playing:

Offline T-BirD

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2006, 11:54:27 am »

They re-released it for the PS2 a while back with some unintentionally hilarious english translations. I found it on the bargain bin of my local Gamestop for about $12, an awesome value/cost ratio. =)

Crap...that reminds me that they finally released a version of Chaos Field for the Gamecube here (after I imported for $65.00) several months ago, but I have yet to see it in ANY store.

Shooters just get no love anymore - even the brilliant Ikaruga was in the bargain bin within a month in North America (or at least Alabama).

Offline BPM

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2006, 08:05:48 pm »
Yeah, I got Chaos Field as soon as it came out here. I bet my local Gamestop had only ordered 3 or 4 of them. Haven't seen it anywhere since.

I don't know what their situation is in japan, but if things keep going the way they are, I think we'll be seeing less and less shmups as the new console generation comes along... =(
Currently playing:

Offline T-BirD

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2006, 09:29:13 am »
I grabbed Shikigami 2 used for 9.99.  Thanks for the heads up.

Far as I know, shooters are doing reasonably well in Japan.  2 new ones were just released/will be released soon for the Dreamcast, even!  That Naomi hardware keeps on kicking ;)

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2006, 12:13:34 am »
The Legacy of Kain series.  Sure, you need to have played all five games to understand the story, but it's so beautifully told, it's completely worth it.  Make a sequel, damn it.