Author Topic: Secrets to defeating the grox...  (Read 38817 times)

Offline asurob

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
Re: Secrets to defeating the grox...
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2008, 10:12:49 pm »
yikes  six hours and no closer.  I have tried to path towards the center and run into a dead end.  A bit frustrated at this point.  Im trying to clear a center area of groks and rebuild my finances a bit  before I soldier forth.  I don't see how some of you managed to do this in the first week never mind the first few days of the game :P.

Offline morphian

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2008, 02:53:07 am »
It's not really worth trying unless you have Interstellar Drive 5.

Agreed.  I tried at 4 and got stuck near the center.  Had to dive a wormhole and go home the long way to unlock 5 via delivery missions.

And yes.  Get lots and lots of health and energy packs.  You can always dive down onto a planet under fire and click one of each to keep running.

Really? I managed to get there twice with drive 4's ;)

Either way, getting to the core is tricky - health packs are an excellent idea, as well as a wormhole key.

Using wormholes/blackholes, you can sometimes find a route right up close to the centre (Although it might take some searching).

I wouldn't recommend trying to take the Grox on in a straight fight as their ships are strong and numerous. Also, if you want to avoid your home worlds becoming a Grox nuke testing zone, you should turn off your defences.
See my evi...erm, not evil, honest..creations at:
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Hephaestus

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 06:11:51 pm »
yikes  six hours and no closer.  I have tried to path towards the center and run into a dead end.  A bit frustrated at this point.  Im trying to clear a center area of groks and rebuild my finances a bit  before I soldier forth.  I don't see how some of you managed to do this in the first week never mind the first few days of the game :P.

Getting to the center is easy when you use pause to plot your next jump to the next star.

Offline Miclee

• Donkey Kong King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2008, 06:35:15 pm »
Well, I just got my plan. On my cheat game, on my "fun comp" as I call it, where all I do is play around with Spore... all the comp is really good for, I am downloading that SoL mod(infinite+10 sec recharge) and then I'm going to go around to every planet, terraform it to T3, colonize, rinse and repeat. It should take all of 10 seconds/planet. In a minute that's 6 planets. 360 planets/hr. Shouldnt be long till the galaxy is mine.

Offline TDKenyon

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
    • Neu Age
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2008, 07:25:15 pm »
Well, I just got my plan. On my cheat game, on my "fun comp" as I call it, where all I do is play around with Spore... all the comp is really good for, I am downloading that SoL mod(infinite+10 sec recharge) and then I'm going to go around to every planet, terraform it to T3, colonize, rinse and repeat. It should take all of 10 seconds/planet. In a minute that's 6 planets. 360 planets/hr. Shouldnt be long till the galaxy is mine.
Not to pick apart your strategy, but the SoL takes a bit longer than 10 seconds. You have to wait for it to finish doing its job before you can leave. But if you have the patience for this, good sir, I commend you. I tried taking out the Grox as fast as possible, but there's too much other stuff for me to enjoy right now.

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2008, 07:47:28 pm »
I had no need to do any of that. (I got to the center last night). I just kept clicking stars and just kept moving, even though I had about 5 grox ships attacking me I've bought the high level hull upgrade so I have lots of health, so I just continued untill I got to the center. Theres no need to fight them or even talk to them.

Offline TDKenyon

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
    • Neu Age
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2008, 07:48:42 pm »
That's perfectly true, and that point (and many others) about how to go about reaching the center has been made in this thread already. We were discussing options for actually killing or defeating the Grox.

Offline RaptorJedi

• Boot Hill Bandit
  • Adorkable
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2008, 09:52:49 pm »
This is just an idea, and may not work, but I've noticed that when I uplift a new species in a crowded area of space, with almost no free star systems, they will start attacking nearby species in order to expand, and then they stop expanding at around 7-10 star systems. If that is what I'm seeing, and they aren't attacking just because someone made them angry, a species uplifted in the middle of a bunch of Grox systems should start attacking the Grox to expand.

Offline TDKenyon

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
    • Neu Age
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2008, 10:45:29 pm »
The Grox are the most difficult enemies in the game, there's no way a starting civilization would stand a chance against them. There's also the natural fear of the Grox embedded into the AI. So it's not likely to work. I also think someone tried, or atleast tried to have an ally attack the Grox, and it failed.

Offline RaptorJedi

• Boot Hill Bandit
  • Adorkable
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2008, 10:50:19 pm »
Darn, I thought there might have been some coded in fear or something like that. Oh well.

Offline SporeForSure

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2008, 10:54:17 pm »
You CAN grind your way through the grox. It shouldnt take more than 6 hours (yes, i have done it :P)

On the other hand, i have seen a wormhole near the galaxy center somewhere, just a few star systems away. If you find the entrance to if you could reach the center more easily.
”It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring” (Dr. Carl Sagan)

Offline Prathik

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2008, 12:52:45 am »
You CAN grind your way through the grox. It shouldnt take more than 6 hours (yes, i have done it :P)

On the other hand, i have seen a wormhole near the galaxy center somewhere, just a few star systems away. If you find the entrance to if you could reach the center more easily.

through the grox? as in defeat the entire race? or just go through them.. if you meant through them.. 6 hours seems quite long :P

Offline Yaw_mawn

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2009, 06:05:52 pm »
To beat the Grox, just use a mixture of tools.

I'm pretty sure one's allies don't attack the Grox, but they will prevent the Grox from recolonizing planets, if they even do such a thing.

You will always start out of range of the Grox. This is also a tip that works for just reaching the middle. I've stayed within the 20 parsec range for all 10 promotions before leaving. I made several T3 colonies, getting the colonizing badge, the Terraforming Badge, the Zoologist Badge, making allies and enemies as I went. I unlocked most of the high-end tools, most importantly, the large cargo, all the energy-based terraforming tools, Bio protectors and stabilizers, spice storage, uber cannons, monoliths, you name it. I had all the upgrades for my ship. It was as powerful as it was going to get.

Before you leave home, pick up 1-3 of every plant and animal on your main. Move along the belt your are on, or cross them if you'll reach the middle sooner. As soon as you start seeing some Grox planets, drop a couple of colonies, upgrade them to T3 by terraforming and dropping plants and animals onto the planet, and picking them up right after. The game won't know the difference, and you won't have to fly to some other planet to get some more animals and plants. Place lots of defenses to repell the Grox more easily, and bio buildings to prevent biodisaters, so that you don't need to fly all over the place to zap a couple of sick animals. Once you have a decent economy going (aim for green, pink or purple spice colonies), rebuild your stockpiles, and buy some monoliths. Terraform some random planets to T3, but don't put colonies. Your allies are going to go here. All the animals you drop are immediately put into the creature stage. Place a monolith to evolve them to Tribal, Civ and then finally to Space stage. For uplifting them you will have +50 permanent relationship points, which will make them allies pretty much forever. Build 3 or 4 allies, make sure they have room to grow by taking out some Grox planets, stock up on animals, plants and colonization supplies, and move deeper towards the core. Make some safe stations as many times as you want on the way. I made the one on the outer rim of their territory, one halfway to the core, and then one AT the core. The allies are there to help fight the Grox on the off-chance they actually do something. Otherwise they are there to keep you company, keep your economy strong and to make a brick wall to prevent the Grox from recolonizing lost planets. You can also get more ships from them to increase your firepower. They also make safe places for you to hang out if you have too many Grox on your tail.

By now you've entered the core. You have 42 charges to the SoL. Use them as often as you can. It's very easy to make a T3 planet for yourself, your allies, or to build more allies on. Have a shield, and bomb the heck out of cities with immunity. Use terraforming tools to destroy grox on a planet. You don't even need to place a plant or an animal. Just move the dot into the first circle and the Grox are dead.

While some abilities are cooling down, use others, and if you're devoted enough, you will eventually break them into smaller chunks if not kill them entirely.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2009, 06:24:42 am »
To beat the Grox, just use a mixture of tools.

I'm pretty sure one's allies don't attack the Grox, but they will prevent the Grox from recolonizing planets, if they even do such a thing.

You will always start out of range of the Grox. This is also a tip that works for just reaching the middle. I've stayed within the 20 parsec range for all 10 promotions before leaving. I made several T3 colonies, getting the colonizing badge, the Terraforming Badge, the Zoologist Badge, making allies and enemies as I went. I unlocked most of the high-end tools, most importantly, the large cargo, all the energy-based terraforming tools, Bio protectors and stabilizers, spice storage, uber cannons, monoliths, you name it. I had all the upgrades for my ship. It was as powerful as it was going to get.

Before you leave home, pick up 1-3 of every plant and animal on your main. Move along the belt your are on, or cross them if you'll reach the middle sooner. As soon as you start seeing some Grox planets, drop a couple of colonies, upgrade them to T3 by terraforming and dropping plants and animals onto the planet, and picking them up right after. The game won't know the difference, and you won't have to fly to some other planet to get some more animals and plants. Place lots of defenses to repell the Grox more easily, and bio buildings to prevent biodisaters, so that you don't need to fly all over the place to zap a couple of sick animals. Once you have a decent economy going (aim for green, pink or purple spice colonies), rebuild your stockpiles, and buy some monoliths. Terraform some random planets to T3, but don't put colonies. Your allies are going to go here. All the animals you drop are immediately put into the creature stage. Place a monolith to evolve them to Tribal, Civ and then finally to Space stage. For uplifting them you will have +50 permanent relationship points, which will make them allies pretty much forever. Build 3 or 4 allies, make sure they have room to grow by taking out some Grox planets, stock up on animals, plants and colonization supplies, and move deeper towards the core. Make some safe stations as many times as you want on the way. I made the one on the outer rim of their territory, one halfway to the core, and then one AT the core. The allies are there to help fight the Grox on the off-chance they actually do something. Otherwise they are there to keep you company, keep your economy strong and to make a brick wall to prevent the Grox from recolonizing lost planets. You can also get more ships from them to increase your firepower. They also make safe places for you to hang out if you have too many Grox on your tail.

By now you've entered the core. You have 42 charges to the SoL. Use them as often as you can. It's very easy to make a T3 planet for yourself, your allies, or to build more allies on. Have a shield, and bomb the heck out of cities with immunity. Use terraforming tools to destroy grox on a planet. You don't even need to place a plant or an animal. Just move the dot into the first circle and the Grox are dead.

While some abilities are cooling down, use others, and if you're devoted enough, you will eventually break them into smaller chunks if not kill them entirely.

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Avoid replying to threads that are 1 year old like this one (in this case it's fine because you're adding to the discussion)

Also, nice advice.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2009, 09:51:23 am »
I made an attempt to take down the Grox but I got too frustrated.
I made a bunch of colonies out there with the uber turrets and stuff. Pretty ironclad.

But destroying the Grox? That's gonna take a million years.

Better get back to it.  :D
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom