Author Topic: Is the PSP to expensive?  (Read 8922 times)

Offline voodoo

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
Re: Is the PSP to expensive?
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2005, 08:14:21 pm »
Almost NO store ran out of stock of PSPs and i think that is because their so damn expensive.

So do I. I recognize all of its extra features, and I know that it's sort of worth it that way, but still, its $250! And its an investment too, since games are $40-50, movies are DVD priced, and duo sticks are pretty expensive as well. I will wait it out, but I don't know how long my patience can hold out.

Offline Pestlett

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2005, 10:39:06 am »
Why not just make a portable PS2? Here is a a link to someone who has made one. Maybe not a pocket-sized console, but portable nevertheless.

http://www.benheck.com/Games/PS2p%201.htm

Also incase anyone is interested here is way to turn the psp's browser that is only ment for download's only into a fully functional web browser.

http://www.hackaday.com/entry/1234000247037796/

Since most of you can't afford the psp (like me) then I guess this will only be useful to a few people, if they don't know already. So there is a possibilty that this post is pointless, but I'll post it anyway.

Offline jedi55555

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2005, 09:17:22 pm »
No, I don't think the PSP is too expensive at all and I enjoy mine alot.

Offline Omnitron

• Boot Hill Bandit
  • Paragon City Resident
    • View Profile
    • Central Nexus
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2005, 09:13:03 am »
To me it looks delicate - uncovered -- fragile. Add that to its price? And yeah.

But I've gotten a Sony PDA that was released at over twice that. Trick is that it does a lot of the same things. As long as it keeps working I don't need a PSP to play videos. And the fact that Sony did an abrupt 180 and left the PDA market with practically NO warning, leaving all current users with no replacements, few accessories, and vanishing support makes me leary about ANYTHING Sony anymore...

When the dead pixel complaints started coming out - I shyed back even more...

Offline zaphod

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Didn't yah hear, I come in 6 packs.
    • View Profile
    • Me and my wifes little blog
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2005, 06:59:10 am »
Yes

Offline DevilMachine

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Defender of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2005, 02:35:22 am »
The PSP is going to be released in New Zealand on September 1st, and will cost about NZ$470, (which is about US$342)

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2005, 08:42:12 am »
Yeah it is a little expensive.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline keith

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2005, 12:52:24 am »
Do I wish the PSP were $199, yes. But come on the iPod shuffle costs $149 and it just a crappie flash player. What are you guys going to think when the next gen consoles cost $400 plus and the games $60?

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2005, 05:11:53 am »
Working in retail, I saw about as big a boom for PSP's as I did when I bought a dud batch of firecrackers... maybe one or two went off, but other than that, it was any other day.  You saw a bunch of stupid rich snobs (the same ones who buy a 300 dollar iPod for their seven year old to take to day care with) buying 250 dollar playtoys for children that could barely see over the counter.  There were of course, the normal folks (but still insane for spending 250 bucks), and some of them returned the PSP's saying that they just couldn't justify spending a quarter grand on technology they could buy in a larger size for half the price (and I will smite anyone who toots that miserable "OMG teh UMD pwnz" horn).

Granted, feeling the shiney goodness in your hands (display model) is a feeling of great power, but it ain't worth 250 dollars, it isn't even worth 200.  There are much better setups you can spend that money on, like saving towards a laptop or an LCD to put into your car, where a simple micro-ATX computer mounted in your trunk can provide more entertainment than a PSP ever could.

PSP = rich kid toy and fanatic treasure.  I envy those genuine gamers who saved up for a PSP.  But I scoff at the 7 year old kid who drops the box as soon as mommy hands it to him.

And 400 dollar consoles?  I'm not going to buy one.  It's that simple.  I'll wait until they're half price just like the PS2 and XBox did... Since I've owned a computer, I've found consoles to be an extraneous expense.  HOWEVER, consoles are usually fairly priced for someone who hasn't made their lives out of a computer.  While I only paid the rock bottom 150 dollars for both of my consoles, I've gotten more than 150 out of each (especially the good ole PS2).  If I didn't have a computer, I'd be buying the XBox 360.  I've just already put a grand into a computer, so it's hard to justify putting 400 into older hardware.  I do have to mention that consoles ARE the better value, provided you amass enough games.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 05:19:03 am by Tr0n »
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2005, 08:24:44 am »
The PSP is more expensive in europe and I am not rich... but I still want one and can afford it.

PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2005, 09:12:31 am »
As I said.  I envy those genuine gamers who want one and have saved up.  If it's your thing, go for it.  I suppose I should have not generalized so much.  I meant that I mostly saw the PSP going to little rich kids who had no idea what it was aside from the fact that it looked pretty.  I still think even 250 US dollars is too much for a not-quite-PS2 with an LCD attached, but because I don't see the merit in it doesn't mean there isn't any.  Sorry if i offended yah.
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline Nuriboy

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2005, 09:48:17 am »
Just do what us poor people do and wait it out, I haven't seen too much of a kick and scream about them.. and am sure it won't be long till sony drops the price.

The benefit of those spoiled little rich kids is usually after a week they get bored with them, which means that if your really lucky you might see a few being sold second hand in the local paper.. for nearly half the price. Have seen this with the gameboy advance, the sp, and even the ds more recently.

I always cringe when I see the title of the ad "unwanted present".. I always imagine some screeching unsatisfied brat, punishing his/her father for making the incorrect attempt to please them.
It could be frankie. It could be very fresh and clean. It could be a balloon.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2005, 12:41:58 pm »
As I said.  I envy those genuine gamers who want one and have saved up.  If it's your thing, go for it.  I suppose I should have not generalized so much.  I meant that I mostly saw the PSP going to little rich kids who had no idea what it was aside from the fact that it looked pretty.  I still think even 250 US dollars is too much for a not-quite-PS2 with an LCD attached, but because I don't see the merit in it doesn't mean there isn't any.  Sorry if i offended yah.

I think it is just as much normal people who buy it as rich people, I have money for it because I haven't over spended it. Just because you are poor (not saying you are) and can't afford some thing that doesn't mean every body who buys, said product, is a rich snob.

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2005, 09:09:12 am »
I just purchased one and really love it so far.  Since I travel alot, it fits those 15-20 minutes of time I have to kill so I can game in places where I didn't before and without having to fire up the laptop for every layover.  Plus I've met alot of cool people who get curious and ask to check it out.