Author Topic: Is the PSP to expensive?  (Read 9001 times)

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
Is the PSP to expensive?
« on: March 24, 2005, 10:00:36 am »
I think yes.

It's a handheld and most nintendo handhelds are around $100. The PSP is like your paying for a brand knew consule. Tehn theres the chance of scratching the screen or something getting broken if your not careful (it's like gameboy advance, it ain't going to be easy to keep in a pocket)

What does everyone else think?

Offline Ferret

• Boot Hill Bandit
  • PHP Princess
    • View Profile
    • Ferretgames.com
Re: Is the PSP to expensive?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 12:47:38 pm »
To quote the title of a little article I wrote on my website a while back. "The PSP Made me Broke and Ruined my Life"

So yes, I think the price is extortionate.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 03:36:18 pm »
Yes I too think it's too expensive. However Sony knew that they would be able to sell the first batch (1-2 million) no matter what, so they made the price as high as they thought possible. It will probably stay at $249 until Christmas and then fall to $199 at this time next year (unless it's a huge insane hit, and then they'll keep the price high as long as possible). But right now if you want it, you gotta pay for it.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 06:04:45 am »
This is why i don't buy consoles and whatnot.  You can be sure to get a PC which will last you (note i say LAST, not be teh uber l33t hax pc of pwnage) a good 2 years or so for about 300 (make it a little more expensive in $).  With that you can play most of these games a few months later anyway, and at far better quality.  Sorry... but i'll always love my PC more than my consoles.  Although i did love my Megadrive and Dreamcast.

Offline Mr.Heat

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 06:07:16 am »
This is why i don't buy consoles and whatnot.  You can be sure to get a PC which will last you (note i say LAST, not be teh uber l33t hax pc of pwnage) a good 2 years or so for about 300 (make it a little more expensive in $).  With that you can play most of these games a few months later anyway, and at far better quality.  Sorry... but i'll always love my PC more than my consoles.  Although i did love my Megadrive and Dreamcast.

But can you play "Spiderman 2" On your car with your pc? :D

I think it's a bit too expensive, but i can't resist, sorry..

Heat 8)

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 08:13:45 am »
If i wanted to watch dvds on the go AND play games AND work, i would buy a laptop - which would last me even longer.

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 11:51:41 pm »
Wouldn't want to watch a DVD while driving my car anyhow. ;D
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
- Will Shriner

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2005, 06:11:20 am »
Precisely  ;D.

Offline SHW

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2005, 06:40:26 am »
The PSP is too expensive for a portable game system and a cheap i-pod idea.

Offline Sully

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2005, 02:06:53 pm »
No

Offline Anou Mawi

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2005, 08:30:27 pm »
It's out now, and it is $300(I don't know euro or pounds) in a city that is just big enough for a political map.

Offline voodoo

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2005, 06:23:51 pm »
it is WAY to expensive. kids at my school can easily afford it, though. I wish I could but I just invested in a new computer. I really hope that the price drops for Christmas. Then again, I don't even know if I can bear waiting that long.

The price is absolutely ridiculous. It doesn't help any that the games and movies are expensive as well.

Offline The Evil Blob

• Missile Commander
  • "Enchanted creature gets +8/+8 and has Trample"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2005, 06:39:33 pm »
I've really been going back and forth on weather or not to get a PSP. I think it's probable that I'll get one eventually, but not within the next 18 months. Main reason: the price.

I seem to get a console for Christmas every year.

2002: Gamecube
2003: PS2
2004: DS and a really good gaming PC

My prediction for the next couple years:

2005: XBox 2 (or whatever the hell Microsoft's gonna call it)
2006: PS3
2007: PSP??? (it might be affordable by then)

As you can see, I don't plan on getting one anytime soon.
Why do you park on a driveway and drive on a parkway?

Offline CrimsonSapien

• Fire Truck Driver
  • Syntax error in line 20: UserCS=Wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2005, 11:44:42 pm »
I guess I was relatively lucky in picking mine up at $248.00. ;D

I think part of the problem people have with paying the price is that they look at what the PSP currently does, and not what it might be made to do. Let me show you an example: Most people see it as a portable video game system, that does a few other secondary duties as well (DVD, Audio, picture slide show). As I was driving to work today, I looked over at my PSP as it sat in the passenger side seat and thought to myself Wouldn't it be nice if the PSP had a dashboard car cradle like a PDA. After a few miles of travel I started giving this serious thought due to how the PSP has a slightly unusual layout for power, USB, Headphones. You see most handhelds put the power jack in the back as well as the headphone jack, and just about any other connection, but not the PSP (with the exception of the USB, and iRDA ports). Could this be because of space limitation? Or perhaps a future planned navigation system. It would make sense, your power, and audio points strait down making it easy for connection to the car, the USB points up, perfect for a GPS (With two locking screw areas as well.). With a 1.8 UMD and up to 1GB Pro stick, and the huge PSP screen you would have a very competitive GPS system. This would also go with the Sony's idea of this being and "all-in-one" device.
If you spend word for word with me, I shall make your wit bankrupt.

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2005, 08:56:16 am »
Almost NO store ran out of stock of PSPs and i think that is because their so damn expensive.