Author Topic: terraforming and colonising  (Read 4468 times)

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
terraforming and colonising
« on: September 20, 2008, 04:57:48 am »
O.K, i guess i just need some specific advice.

What are the most desirable planets for colonisation? obviously a high T score and lots of rare spice geyser is obviously what you want but what's more important?

is a high T score more desirable than lots of spice when you havn't got all the neccesary terraforiming equipment?
whats aspects are you looking for in your choice of planet for your first ever colony?
any other general tips or advice in this area?

Never mind your own business.

Offline SiestaGuru

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
Re: terraforming and colonising
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 05:18:09 am »
When making colonys you hsould either have a purple or pink colony or a t1 green/blue one or a t3 red/yellow. Lesser colonys arent really worth it, purple and pink are so rare you want to get them even though it takes a lot of terraforming but for the rest you can be a bit picky. If you find a nice starsystem with 2 purple and or pink spice planets it could be wise to get colonys on all of them and get them all to t3, collecting spice is alot easier if there are alot of good planets within one startsystem. Two systems like this can provide you with all the spice youll ever need.
My best stuff: http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=st-sc%3Assc-500079691379

Random stuff: http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-SiestaGuru|2263001209%3Assc-500036839043%3Aview-top_rated

Aircraft: http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-SiestaGuru|2263001209%3Assc-500020463820%3Aview-top_rated

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 05:20:36 am »
I just expand my empire making every planet I meet T3 and spamming it with colonies and turrets.

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 05:24:35 am »
well you can't colonise a planet (that s uninhabited) if their is intelligent life in that system. does that mean i should just slap colonies on all the nearby systems that have valuable planets? that way i can just stake claim to them and stop others from colonising them until i am ready to terraform them all to T3s and fill them with lots of cities.

my empire is piss-poor by the way, we are a third world empire as it were so it is quite an investmant to terraform and colonise a planet.
i actually like it that way. makes the game move on slower and at a more enjoyable pace.

Offline spiritofcat

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Ta-da!
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 08:02:09 am »
well you can't colonise a planet (that s uninhabited) if their is intelligent life in that system. does that mean i should just slap colonies on all the nearby systems that have valuable planets? that way i can just stake claim to them and stop others from colonising them until i am ready to terraform them all to T3s and fill them with lots of cities.

my empire is piss-poor by the way, we are a third world empire as it were so it is quite an investmant to terraform and colonise a planet.
i actually like it that way. makes the game move on slower and at a more enjoyable pace.
Yes, it's worth getting a foothold in any available systems with good spices.
Your neighbouring empires will colonise everything in sight, so if you don't get in and place colonies quickly it'll soon become hard to find any uninhabited systems, let alone desirable ones.

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
  • Discovered the "everything syndrome."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 08:05:10 am »
the number of geysers will have no effect on your spice production.  Its all in your factory house connection outputs. 

Some spices are rarer than others such as pink purple, but the prices all fluxuate with each planet you try to sell to, those just tend to go for more, more often.

I survived the flood of 2008 and all I got was this crappy homelessness.

Offline spiritofcat

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Ta-da!
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 08:13:32 am »
the number of geysers will have no effect on your spice production.  Its all in your factory house connection outputs. 

Some spices are rarer than others such as pink purple, but the prices all fluxuate with each planet you try to sell to, those just tend to go for more, more often.

Do you know if having more than one geyser within the radius of your colony increases production? I suspect that it doesn't, but I always try to get 2 or 3 anyway.

Yes, the prices can fluctuate a lot, but yes, Pink and Purple seem to get the very highest prices, followed by Cyan I think, then Blue and Yellow and finally Red.

I think it's worth making sure you have at least one colony for each colour of spice just so that you can always have a bit of each in your cargo hold to make it easy to check where to sell it.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 08:15:36 am »
ah so early empire building should consist of just getting single footholds in all the local desirable systems you like, thus stopping others colonising them until your ready to finish terraforming and colonising the system.

whats a good choice of first planet to colonise like?

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 08:18:05 am »
Get the basics (yellow, green, blue) as fast as you can because pink and purple within your reach are often taken in.Take them as soon as possible if you do see them.

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline spiritofcat

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Ta-da!
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 08:22:37 am »
ah so early empire building should consist of just getting single footholds in all the local desirable systems you like, thus stopping others colonising them until your ready to finish terraforming and colonising the system.

whats a good choice of first planet to colonise like?
Good planets are anything close to home, green orbit, high T-Score, rare spice.
Systems with more than one good planet are obviously a great choice.

Offline jarnomiedema

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 02:34:30 pm »

Actually, you can place a colony if there's intelligent life in a system. The solution is as cruel as it is simple: whipe them out!  ;D

There have been a few instances where I've gone on bombing runs across a planet to kill off all the little tribe settlements because I just had to have a planet with that particular colour of spice. It may seem a bit harsh and I guess it isn't for everyone, but hey; I'm running a business here! (I've mainly been taking the economist / diplomat approach, with an occassional venture out into conquering mode).

In any case, on a more general note, I tend to expand in every single direction as soon as I get into space. The other empires are pretty eager to take advantage of your newcomer status, so it's best to get your empire up and running quickly (if a little slow at first) and then punch them in the nose with the help of your allies (if you have any) when they start demanding payments..

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 08:21:11 pm »
Once you get the reuseable terraforming tools, the ones that use up energy, you can pretty much terraform anything, so don't let a T0 with a red orbit scare you off. Even horrific planets can be wrangled into T3s.

If you are doing a lot of wrangling with an energy tool (such as the heat ray) I would reccomend building a colony first, even while it is T0. That way you can phone up your colony and buy a decently priced recharge while you terraform the planet.

Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com

Offline spiritofcat

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Ta-da!
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2008, 11:03:34 pm »
well you can't colonise a planet (that s uninhabited) if their is intelligent life in that system.
Actually, you can place a colony if there's intelligent life in a system. The solution is as cruel as it is simple: whipe them out!  ;D
What you say makes no sense.
You can't place a colony if there is intelligent lide in a system.
If you wipe out the intelligent life in a system, then there isn't intelligent life in the system anymore, and so you can place a colony.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2008, 11:29:39 pm »
Or you could wait for/monolith them to reach space and conquer them peacefully/economically if you want to avoid violence. :)

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 01:04:46 am »
Once you got a lucritive spice trade going the need to expand isn't as urgent. If you got say a pink and purple colony running and churning the stuff out at a good rate you can often sell that all for heaps. Expansion isn't such a huge issue if another race sets up on a system and then you decide you want it set up a trade route and buy them out. Sure it costs money but once you get things running you are making money hand over fist and if they are strong allies 3 mill is peanuts.