Author Topic: Retro-Futurism (A little after Steampunk, A little before Cyberpunk)  (Read 4656 times)

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retro-futurism
I pretty much find it fascinating how people in the past thought people in the future would end up. Art Deco, 50s B-Movies, the Jetsons and Old science fiction stories with people taking daily rocket ship shuttles to the moon. I've always ended up in mouth gaping awe when I've seen it done well. (I actually see Art Deco in movie theaters sometimes. It's usually pretty watered down though. I'd like some more designers to just go all out.)

My Life As A Teenage Robot, for instance, was stylistically eye-candy for me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZUBk8eVl-4&feature=related
(According to things I've read about the series... I probably would have really liked Astro Boy)

And on a more subtle level, Rollie Pollie Ollie was cool looking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTkmaE_QWMQ (Even though I technically was already supposed to be too old for the series when it aired.) Looking back, actually, the fact that there were all robots living in this futuristic paradise with no humans in sight, It does beg some unsettling questions as to where they all went...

And of course MST3k. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcUkKltAidM&feature=related (Which is as much a Tribute to as it is a Parody of that entire era)

If you still have a bit of trouble getting the idea, think Epcot Center and the world of tomorrow land ride.

Even outside of TV Series and Theme Parks, (Which I'm really just using as an Example) It's just a greatly interesting area to me. It covers a period so full of unfettered imagination and optimism for technology. (Not to mention it would be a cool RP setting  ;))
So this topic is pretty much for the discussion and general appreciation of this idea/style in all its forms. (Literature, Media, Architecture, etc...)
(Yeah, I know, I'm interested in the weirdest and most obscure things. But this is the internet. If anything, it's a beacon to people with weird and obscure interests. Now watch in anticipation as I get like 2 replies to this thread.)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 09:37:59 pm by sgore »

What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
  • A man has a choice, I chose the impossible!
    • View Profile
Re: Retro-Futurism (A little after Steampunk, A little before Cyberpunk)
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 09:53:42 pm »
YES!!! I'M NOT ALONE IN MY LOVE FOR ART DECO!!!  :D
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government

gec05

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 11:05:09 pm »
What kind of genre of music would Retro-Futurism have? 80's New Wave? Or perhaps something else?

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 03:52:07 am »
Early rock and roll Gec. The 50s was pretty much the height of the 'better living through science' movement.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 05:28:19 am »
No wonder the Art Deco buildings are the most beautiful in America. The future was bright!

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 10:42:48 am »
Oingo Boingo, no exceptions.
"Weird Science"  ;D

gec05

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 01:22:07 pm »
That's the kind of style I wanted in the Beyon pic you drew Huggs. Less brick and mortar, more chrome and rockets. ;D

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 06:58:56 pm »
I think you're actually thinking of Googie Gec. Thats the sort of style that 50s diners have. Lots of curves and chrome, like a sexy android callgirl.

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 07:11:58 pm »
According to the wikipedia article, Googie and Art Deco both fit under the realm of retro-futurism.
I must admit Googie is somewhat an addictive style to look at.
http://www.ronsaari.com/photoindex.php?gallery=googie
(It's got a lot of kitch and camp value...that and it's just fun. So much fun.)
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 07:17:12 pm »
(It's got a lot of kitch and camp value...that and it's just fun. So much fun.)

like a sexy android callgirl.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 01:03:53 am »
I like this artstyle too. I have an artists website in my bookmarks who does this sort of art. Linky

TELL IT TO MY GIANT ROBOT.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 05:11:53 am »
Retro-Futurism is pretty wide genera. In some way Steampunk is a sub genera of it. Though often when one talk about Retro-Futurism one think of the 50's 60's style Futurism (Like Fallout). The 20's 30's 40's type (Which i like a lot) is something classed as Dieselpunk which also have the strongest influence of Art Deco and Streamline modern. (Like Bioshock)

But then again. The -punk surfix is often added more to describe a special tone of fiction rather then what style the world is in. So Dieselpunk can also be seen as Retro-Futurism without a problem. (Using it to describe Clockworkpunk may be a bit wide however thogh accurate to the words literal meaning.) likewise 50's and 60's era can be classed as atomic age or maybe even as Atompunk. Actually i like the word Atompunk. I think i will start using it. After all the 20's 30's 40's type fiction is more pulp fiction based then the 50's and 60's view.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 07:23:20 am »
Would City of the Lost Children be Frenchpunk?  :D

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
  • A man has a choice, I chose the impossible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 07:38:53 am »
Looks more steampunk to me. Too much wood and not enough tesla coils to be retro-futurism.  :P
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government