Author Topic: The Valid Suggestion Thread For Maxis  (Read 156531 times)

Offline pie

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
    • View Profile
Re: The Valid Suggestion Thread For Maxis
« Reply #375 on: April 22, 2009, 04:42:21 pm »

Have backpacks in the tribe stage while migrating, and infantry in the Civ stage. WITH GUNS. Recycle the guns used in that little animation in military cities where they shoot.

Offline Ichthyostega

• Rally-X Roadster
  • Behold! The fanhorn from the planet Snaiad.
    • View Profile
    • Ichthyostegland
« Reply #376 on: May 29, 2009, 08:39:22 pm »
Maxis needs to check this out.

Artwork by Danandna.
Ichthyostega

gec05

« Reply #377 on: May 29, 2009, 09:35:06 pm »
Maxis needs to have a "Design-A-Part" community section.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: June 06, 2009, 01:41:46 am »
When I change the style filter to -norainbows, I expect it to keep that way. In fact, any change in style to not turn off the moment I leave the planet.

-norainbows is just an awesome filter.

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #379 on: June 12, 2009, 01:47:34 pm »
Not sure if this is here already, I'm not gonna read all 26 pages.

Here's my Idea for a spore expansion: The Tech Race.

For this I'm gonna leave alone all the editor problems and focus on what spore needs- more strategy.

I'd say implement a technology mechanic into the game.  It'll start in the creature stage and keep going through the space stage.

Here's how it'll work in each stage:

-Creature-
Tools like sharp stones for cutting or spears, as actually existent for our species, should appear in addition to the bonuses in pack size.  However, depending your actions you could get a different set of tools.  For example, aggressive creatures that often use sticks would earn a spear for combat, while fruit-eaters gain an axe for chopping down trees for more fruit and players who tend to avoid fights as much as possible could gain some sort of camo.  These items give your creature new abilities and also affect the diet timeline.

-Tribal-
Just like sending your creature to a flute place gives it a flute, sending your creature to your main hut (or totem?) will turn them into a researcher.  Researchers have base stats at the minimum but give you an extra resource per second called tech.  Instead of food, tech is used to buy buildings and those with excess tech can buy a building at a higher cost without defeating/allying another tribe first.  Tech will also affect the timeline, where if you buy military buildings you'll edge toward carnivore, culture buildings and you approach herbivore.

-City-
In the city stage is when tech first becomes prevalent with the addition of a new building to add to your cities- the lab.  Labs give you tech per second just like researchers did before, but it's used differently.  In addition to building costs, tech is used to make more gear to outfit your still editable citizens, but now they have a bigger purpose.  Tech can buy weapons (yay a new editor!) like swords, guns, etc. and tech not only will unlock the weapons but it unlocks the parts as well.  Armor and clothing are also new items generated by tech.  Also, a tech bonus is received for each victory event (capture/alliance).  NOTE: I'm not saying that buildings are free from sporebuck/spice/whatever it is costs, just that it takes tech too.

-Space-
And here's where it gets interesting.  In the final stage, you can beam yourself into the third person like the creature stage, only this time it plays like an action/rpg title like NWN or WoW(A.K.A. Galactic Adventures, oh well forgot about that).  His stats at this point are determined by the gear that you researched in the city stage.

Of course, tech can't be forgotten as a resource.  I figure it could be used in two ways:

1. The tech gathered up to this point will affect shop costs, since if a tech is commonplace on your world it should be easier to get than on others.  The same goes for the other planet's shops as well.

2. Tech can be traded between colonies, as seen in games like Civ 4.  In this case, the unlocked items you got in the city stage can be taught to other colonies in exchange for something they learned that you don't have, or maybe even for spices/sporebucks.  It may also be possible to have missions that are the only way to obtain certain technologies.

Wow, I've been typing this for about 15 minutes at this point and there's SOOOOOO much more to add to the game.

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed my fantasy in which spore actually requires a little more intelligent thoughts.

Hey, anybody in Maxix hiring? :P

Actually, I'd love to work in R&D or the conceptual stuff for one of these companies (I CAN do the implementation, it just gets boring after a while ^_^).

But seriously, If anybody with Maxis feels like contacting me for some of my ideas with stuff (or any company for that matter), feel free to.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 01:50:28 pm by dndfreak »

Offline Beastosaurus

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Heeeeeeeeres Beasty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: June 12, 2009, 07:47:57 pm »
A few things I'd like, that I don't think are too unreasonable (as in, no major gameplay changes) at all are:

-A treadmill mode in the creature editor and outfitter. The way I was thinking, there's a little button in the environments reel in test mode.* Once you click it, the current environ gets a treadmill for your creature, with controls for you to adjust speed and direction. This way you can see how your creature animates at various speeds and inclinations.

*I know there are buttons near the end of the animations reel that make your creature walk or run, but I find these lacking. You can drive your creature around with the mouse, then click the walk button, and see the major differences in animation.

-As has been previously suggested, some way to stop limbs from meshing together when they touch in the editor. It's ridiculous and serves no purpose. If you could stretch it out to make membranes or something I could understand, but as it is there is absolutely no reason for it. Tell me one reason why those elastic bands are warranted?! The exist only to torture me!

-Add feather patterns in Paint mode.

-Better wings. As they, they're horrible. They're just one-size-fits-all statues glued to your creature. It's like someone tar-and-feathered a concrete wing! They should be animated (as in, they bend when you flap them), and you should be able to make their default pose in the editor. That way you can have a flightless bird that almost always has them folded, or an albatross that likes to keep them spread. Or maybe a bat that keeps his wings around him like a cloak!

-More variety in parts! So far, a lot of the parts have just been bits of earth animals lopped off and tossed into the creator. I want to make something truly alien! The exoskeleton limbs and the creepy parts were a step in the right direction. Let's have a bunch of parts that allow us to craft beasts from the depths of our imaginations! They don't necessarily need to be creepy, just different. Look at Dananddna's sketches for some ideas! Though some are earth-based, they still look great!
I think fish drown when they are knocked unconscious or pierced through the lung.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 12, 2009, 09:52:32 pm »
-A treadmill mode in the creature editor and outfitter. The way I was thinking, there's a little button in the environments reel in test mode.* Once you click it, the current environ gets a treadmill for your creature, with controls for you to adjust speed and direction. This way you can see how your creature animates at various speeds and inclinations.
YES. I'd love this. I'm really particular about making sure my creatures animate/express well, and being able to see how its legs behave on different slopes would be useful. I'd also love the ability to test the grabbing and eating animations, for both objects on the ground and objects elevated off it. A common mistake people overlook is that multi-mouthed creatures only use one mouth to talk/eat with, so if you overlay mouths to create a unique look, or use the tab reels to rotate a mouth that is on the centre of the creature to divide it, only one of them will be used. Just being able to see how it looks when in motion would be great.

-As has been previously suggested, some way to stop limbs from meshing together when they touch in the editor. It's ridiculous and serves no purpose. If you could stretch it out to make membranes or something I could understand, but as it is there is absolutely no reason for it. Tell me one reason why those elastic bands are warranted?! The exist only to torture me!
Heh, I know what you mean. I was thankful when the freebie limbs in the C+C pack didn't mesh the same way, but I think the way it is all set up, there is no real way to prevent the standard limbs from meshing. Or at least, if there was, I expect those limbs would increase in complexity costs.

-Add feather patterns in Paint mode.
I'd like to see the 3D paint layers make a show somehow. Earlier shots of the game (close to the final release announcement) showed a layer of non-part fluff. Styled much like the 2D grasses and small shrubs in the creature mode that you often trample as you wander around, the 'fluff' layer appeared to apply the texture system, but to spawn a short layer of actual fuzz on the base of the creatures body. I realise these may have just been exported creatures endered in a 3D modelling program with extras added on (that were never in the game), but still, we can dream.

Offline Beastosaurus

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Heeeeeeeeres Beasty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 12, 2009, 10:36:49 pm »
I also wish there was a way to make off-center but symmetrical bodies in the UFO editor, like the Jaguar from EVE Online.

http://www.eve-wiki.net/index.php?title=File:Jaguar.jpg

As for the outfitters, an asymmetry switch for clothes would be nice. Asymmetry has a lot of potential for creatures (and animation), but I think that's kind of asking too much. I'd rather have moar parts than an asymmetry toggle!

I guess what I'm saying is...

PLEASE MAXIS PLEASE, ADD MORE PARTS, MORE PARTS! WILDLY, UNIMAGINABLY ALIEN PARTS! I REQUIRE THESE THINGS MORE MAXIMUM CREATIVE SUSTENANCE!

Preferably for free too, C&C was a bit of a rip. But hey, you guys are pretty much EA's freak on a leash now, so...
I think fish drown when they are knocked unconscious or pierced through the lung.

Offline Kenobro

• Space Harrier
  • I am not a robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 13, 2009, 11:19:57 am »
When you said the C + C limbs don't mesh, I think you meant to say the exoskeleton ones.  But yeah, at least have a cheat or a button to turn it off.  It looks terrible.

Quote from: Grazony
Thanks Kenobro. :)

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #384 on: June 13, 2009, 11:40:38 pm »

For this I'm gonna leave alone all the editor problems and focus on what spore needs- more strategy.

I'd say implement a technology mechanic into the game.  It'll start in the creature stage and keep going through the space stage.

-Creature-
Tools like sharp stones for cutting or spears, as actually existent for our species, should appear in addition to the bonuses in pack size.  However, depending your actions you could get a different set of tools.  For example, aggressive creatures that often use sticks would earn a spear for combat, while fruit-eaters gain an axe for chopping down trees for more fruit and players who tend to avoid fights as much as possible could gain some sort of camo.  These items give your creature new abilities and also affect the diet timeline.

-Tribal-
Just like sending your creature to a flute place gives it a flute, sending your creature to your main hut (or totem?) will turn them into a researcher.  Researchers have base stats at the minimum but give you an extra resource per second called tech.  Instead of food, tech is used to buy buildings and those with excess tech can buy a building at a higher cost without defeating/allying another tribe first.  Tech will also affect the timeline, where if you buy military buildings you'll edge toward carnivore, culture buildings and you approach herbivore.

-City-
In the city stage is when tech first becomes prevalent with the addition of a new building to add to your cities- the lab.  Labs give you tech per second just like researchers did before, but it's used differently.  In addition to building costs, tech is used to make more gear to outfit your still editable citizens, but now they have a bigger purpose.  Tech can buy weapons (yay a new editor!) like swords, guns, etc. and tech not only will unlock the weapons but it unlocks the parts as well.  Armor and clothing are also new items generated by tech.  Also, a tech bonus is received for each victory event (capture/alliance).  NOTE: I'm not saying that buildings are free from sporebuck/spice/whatever it is costs, just that it takes tech too.

-Space-
And here's where it gets interesting.  In the final stage, you can beam yourself into the third person like the creature stage, only this time it plays like an action/rpg title like NWN or WoW(A.K.A. Galactic Adventures, oh well forgot about that).  His stats at this point are determined by the gear that you researched in the city stage.

Of course, tech can't be forgotten as a resource.  I figure it could be used in two ways:

1. The tech gathered up to this point will affect shop costs, since if a tech is commonplace on your world it should be easier to get than on others.  The same goes for the other planet's shops as well.

2. Tech can be traded between colonies, as seen in games like Civ 4.  In this case, the unlocked items you got in the city stage can be taught to other colonies in exchange for something they learned that you don't have, or maybe even for spices/sporebucks.  It may also be possible to have missions that are the only way to obtain certain technologies.

Wow, I've been typing this for about 15 minutes at this point and there's SOOOOOO much more to add to the game.

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed my fantasy in which spore actually requires a little more intelligent thoughts.

Actually, I'd love to work in R&D or the conceptual stuff for one of these companies (I CAN do the implementation, it just gets boring after a while ^_^).

But seriously, If anybody with Maxis feels like contacting me for some of my ideas with stuff (or any company for that matter), feel free to.

Did anyone actually take the time to read this?

Offline pie

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 14, 2009, 08:10:03 am »

-Creature-

-Tribal-

-City-

-Space-

Adding to this, space stage needs to become an RTS.

No. Seriously. The current system is horrible. Just one ship against an entire SPECIES? I don't think so.

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #386 on: June 14, 2009, 09:10:30 am »

-Creature-

-Tribal-

-City-

-Space-

Adding to this, space stage needs to become an RTS.

No. Seriously. The current system is horrible. Just one ship against an entire SPECIES? I don't think so.

Not really an RTS, just have a pack system like from the creature stage.  Keep in mind that to keep realism It costs a ****load for a ship that stores HUMANS, let alone a ship for your half-ton gargantuan.

Hunh, I guess people did read it ^_^

Offline Beastosaurus

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Heeeeeeeeres Beasty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 15, 2009, 09:37:16 pm »
-Creature-

I don't think we should have tools in the creature stage. The creation of tools and fire is kinda the "Eureka!" moment that starts tribal stage. While some animals do use tools, it's mainly the apes that are closely related to us (so one could say tool usage is a precursor to sapience, but an uncommon one).

Also, herbivores can already knock fruit off trees. If your creature has graspers, they can pick up rocks or sticks and throw it at fruit to knock it down. That's a sort of tool. That I can agree with. But complex, "manufactured" tools like axes that involve many pieces such as a handle, blade and twine are a little beyond even the chimps' reach!

-Tribal-

This actually gave me an idea. Say you want stone axes, but haven't defeated the tribe with them. You send a tribesman to your central fire, from which he grabs a coal. He then lies down, stationary, next to the fire, brainstorming ideas for tools by doodling with the coal on the ground. He has a chance to, over time, think of a tool that you can then buy for a higher amount of food than a normal tool. Researching tribesmen also eat more, and are poor at combat.

-City-

I'm not sure this is the way to go with tech in City. I think having a Civ4-like model would be best. You put so much of your funds into research, which over time unlocks different technologies. Depending on how it is balanced, this could replace the city number requirement on super powers.

-Space-

I'm not sure there is a place for tech in the Space phase. Maybe it could be a sort of discount, like you tell your researchers to research the crop circle tool, and depending on how much you have researched, you get a certain percentage off when you buy it from your own empire. This could make buying things from your empire more cost effective than importing tools from others, but take longer time. As it is now, there is little reason to buy from your own empire because the prices are so inflated.

Also, this:

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 16, 2009, 02:20:40 pm »
Wings. Oy! I commend Maxis for giving us them in the first place, but they have a serrious problem; If you place at any angle other than sticking out the sides of the creature, it "flaps" it wings weird. For example, I made a bat-like creature and tilted the bat wings so that they almost wrapped around the body. It looked wonderful, but when it flew, it's wings just clapped together under it's body.

My suggestion is this: Make wings animate like hands. You can flip hands upside down, fold them in, let them hang, and the creature still reaches forward to grab fruit, points in the right direction, and actually waves at you. First, "unstick" the wings from the skin. In certain creatures, with the wings on thin parts of the body, the flapping of the wings "pulls" and twists the metaball skin. I don't know how hard this will be, since it might be that all parts are "stuck" to the skin, even non-moving armor and antennae. Secondly, code the wings to adjust their angle to actually form a gliding surface when animating. A possible way to do this is to class them as a new "end effector", like hands, and expand their current animation to include the rotation program.

gec05

« Reply #389 on: June 16, 2009, 03:47:06 pm »
Then again, what if I want to conceal the wings so that my creature appears to fly like Superman?

If they fix that then the wings will stick out.