Author Topic: The Valid Suggestion Thread For Maxis  (Read 160711 times)

Offline AtmaDarkwolf

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: The Valid Suggestion Thread For Maxis
« Reply #270 on: October 09, 2008, 05:35:02 am »
U do know that the moon never infact gives off any light right? Just a reflection of the sun.

So with that in consideration, I can see how many  moons would not give off light, or glow. Some might glow more than others, etc. (Depending on color of the moon, color of the sun, distance sun is from moon then back to planet, depth of planets atmosphere, and many other variables.)

Offline Rubric

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 09, 2008, 06:55:17 am »

It would be cool to occasionally see the moon in crescent form, instead of always full.

Offline Gzillafan1

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 09, 2008, 10:26:06 am »
Haha...yes I know the moon doesnt give off its own light.I guess I worded it wrong.I would like to see my moon "reflect the suns light and give off a glow".

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 09, 2008, 11:20:24 am »
Haha...yes I know the moon doesnt give off its own light.I guess I worded it wrong.I would like to see my moon "reflect the suns light and give off a glow".

They do that in a more extreme way during the daytime when they try to act like a second sun.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 12, 2008, 02:48:36 pm »
It may have been suggested already, but I'll suggest it again.

The communication screen for creatures with multiple mouths in the city and space stages needs to be fixed. Case in example, take a look at my Hopping Trigun creature, I have three proboscis mouths with a fourth mouth hidden at the base of those and made as small as possible. I just checked it out in the space stage a couple of minutes ago to see how the mouth thing would work. Only the leftmost proboscis mouth (the rightmost from your point of view) was moving. This is the split proboscis mouth and it matches with what others have reported with this kind of thing. It was kind of funny intially, but it just looks really strange otherwise.

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 12, 2008, 02:51:51 pm »
I think what mouth talks is the last one you touched in the editor.  Split mouths seem to be random.  I actually liked this, because my Hinoda looked much better without having it's proboscises talking as well.

Perhaps a way to choose which one(s) talk?
Visit, Vote, Vykusi - New Poll 9/01/08

Quote from: Little
I, for a fact, quite like Keno[tai]. He's my favorite.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 12, 2008, 03:12:07 pm »
I'll try that and see if I can get my creature to look good as I wanted it to have three proboscises.

Edit: That doesn't seem to work because it's now using the top proboscis mouth, which actually looks better than using one of the side mouths only, although its not what I want.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 03:46:24 pm by smjjames »

Offline Ichthyostega

• Rally-X Roadster
  • Behold! The fanhorn from the planet Snaiad.
    • View Profile
    • Ichthyostegland
« Reply #277 on: October 14, 2008, 02:54:50 pm »
  • Shorten the timespan between generations, because when I did a series of things (wiping out and sociallizing with a lot of creatures before evolving), it said it took 45 billion years. 45 billion years!? Absolutely ludicrous! Unless the star was a red dwarf, the star would have already have long died as a white dwarf. Besides, the next generation wasn't as divergent as the previous one.
It is not based on Generation as i know it but on how long you have played.

I think I've now noticed something. I decided to play another game I haven't played in a while. So far, I did very few things before the next generation. Then the game says I've been playing for 17 billion years. What's up with that!?
Ichthyostega

gec05

« Reply #278 on: October 16, 2008, 05:38:15 pm »
Ok, this is really bugging. I mean big time. Not me, but everyone.

Well as you are aware, Maxis is getting ready to release the parts pack next month. But I've done some numbers comparing the price to pay for the full package of content for the full creature editor compared to the parts pack and this may be disturbing.

Now I don't think anyone should be lashing at EA just yet because they have yet to officially name the price of the package. So based on the Sims 2 stuff pack trend, we estimate it will cost $20 dollars. Here's the problem.

We did not pay $10 for the creature creator, let's be clear about it. That was free. What we did pay for was an additional:

171 Parts
72 Paint Styles
2 Backgrounds

Total: $10

The new parts pack will have:

60 Parts
48 Paint Styles
2 Backgrounds
24 Animations

Estimated Total: $20

If the estimated price is correct, then tell me Maxis. Why would something that has less than half the amount as the full creature creator cost more? Does the additional 24 animations even merit it to be above even $10?

Offline Summoner

• BurgerTime Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 16, 2008, 05:41:39 pm »

Well as you are aware, Maxis is getting ready to release the parts pack next month. But I've done some numbers comparing the price to pay for the full package of content for the full creature editor compared to the parts pack and this may be disturbing.

Now I don't think anyone should be lashing at EA just yet because they have yet to officially name the price of the package. So based on the Sims 2 stuff pack trend, we estimate it will cost $20 dollars. Here's the problem.

We did not pay $10 for the creature creator, let's be clear about it. That was free. What we did pay for was an additional:

171 Parts
72 Paint Styles
2 Backgrounds

60 Parts
48 Paint Styles
2 Backgrounds
24 Animations

If the estimated price is correct, then tell me Maxis. Why would something that has less than half the amount as the full creature creator cost more? Does the additional 24 animations even merit it to be above even $10?

I know i agree alittle but the Creture Creater was just spores creater but out of game so they lowered but the new part pack is adding to the game so they brought it up

Offline Koronii

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 16, 2008, 05:46:30 pm »

171 Parts
72 Paint Styles
2 Backgrounds

60 Parts
48 Paint Styles
2 Backgrounds
24 Animations

Yes. The Stuff Pack is a new product, that is not part of the original game, everything in the Creature Creator had already been created as part of Spore, so a more valid question would be, why did we have to pay for the creature creator in the first place?

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
« Reply #281 on: October 16, 2008, 10:40:04 pm »
...Maxis is getting ready to release the parts pack next month. But I've done some numbers comparing the price to pay for the full package of content for the full creature editor compared to the parts pack and this may be disturbing.

Now I don't think anyone should be lashing at EA just yet because they have yet to officially name the price of the package. So based on the Sims 2 stuff pack trend, we estimate it will cost $20 dollars.

Comparing those numbers is meaningless, beyond demonstrating that the cost per item is higher.  It has nothing to do with weather the new cost is worth it or not.

Suppose i just heard of this new food "pizza".  As an introductory offer, i buy my first slice for 25 cents.  Then next day when i want to buy more the price is now $3 a slice.  The new price is certainly higher, but that provides no information on weather i should buy at the new price or not.

Or suppose it happens like this:  An exotic food is just introduced to my hypothetical very isolated country.  In the finest restaurants it is sold at $200 a slice.  Later it is sold for only $50 a slice.  This food is the same pizza in my previous example.  Since it is now sold at 25% of the original price, does that mean it's a good deal?  Certainly not.

Spore creature parts have no intrinsic value.  It make just as much sense to try to discover some intrinsic value to them by comparing the parts pack to the free CC demo as what you are doing. 

There's no way to measure if the price is right, except one. "Would i rather keep my $20 and spend it on something else, or spend it on this parts pack?" Obviously EA will set the price to try to make a profit, but that has nothing to do with the part's value to me.

If you are trying to understand why EA set the CC price so low, it makes sense to think of it as an "introductory offer".  They provided the CC demo for free, and sold the CC at a relatively low price point in hopes of getting people hooked so they will buy the full game.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 10:42:32 pm by eleazar »

Offline Ichthyostega

• Rally-X Roadster
  • Behold! The fanhorn from the planet Snaiad.
    • View Profile
    • Ichthyostegland
« Reply #282 on: October 22, 2008, 04:07:20 pm »
  • You should be given the option to restart a certain phase in case you screw up, that way you won't be brought back to where it is impossible to even pick yourself back up.
Ichthyostega

Offline Techleo

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 22, 2008, 04:16:46 pm »
 Indeed the time evolved does merit 45 billion years if you did a ton of actions. Evolution is about achieved the maximum result with the minimum actions. If your species took 45 billion years to achieve its state of existence it wouldnt exist. Yet it should be noted my most complex creature took me 3.8 billion years to evolve. I had all the parts. How? I didnt do a lot of socializing. I did the socializing which netted the most points. That is evolution in a nutshell. Mind you a lot of people want a slower progression of time so they can interact more. *Shrugs* I wouldn't mind that as long as you earned DNA points slower.

Offline MisterBibs

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 22, 2008, 07:28:41 pm »
* Remove the "This game is saved" notice. If I had a dime for wondering why Spore didn't close, only to realize that it's because the game was informing me that it was saved, Spore would have been free.