Author Topic: The Valid Suggestion Thread For Maxis  (Read 160710 times)

Offline AtmaDarkwolf

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: The Valid Suggestion Thread For Maxis
« Reply #240 on: October 04, 2008, 09:27:57 pm »
hmm.. similar to how the balancing effect works for the vehicle creator in civ stage?

Good idea.

But the diminishing returns thing might end up with more min/maxing going on, when the thought I had was not force someone to get a part that doesn't aesthetically belong on the odd ball you are building for an ability that DOES belong on said monstrosity.

So basically make it parts =/= ability (Let us get jump lv 1, and evolve and grow and get jump lv 2, etc etc. Gain an ability lv 1 from any given part, and then grow and improve on said ability to 'evolve' more. Kinda silly that I can go though 5 brain stages and then, magically, gain strike lv 5 because I managed to hide the silly 'surprise' weapon somewhere up my creatures' anus.)

But yes, having another pair of legs should improve your speed, but reduce your agility(IE, turning speed, animals with multiple legs will trip over their own feet in tight turnbacks, etc)

Offline Arachoid

• Tempest Top Dog
  • A new musical revelation...
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 04, 2008, 09:43:59 pm »
You know what would be awesome? Poop. No seriously; marking your territory and generally just having to leave droppings every now and then would be hilarious. Creatures should also need to drink. Your on an island; how hard can it be to find water?
I say NO! to all limits.
Unfortunately, I don't think we're far enough into the Civ stage to have deveoped into the 'Infinite-ghz processing' research tree yet...

Offline AtmaDarkwolf

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 04, 2008, 11:51:17 pm »
Well a island surrounded by salt water, and if u drink salt water u will die of thirst... but anyways...

The drinking things critters already do, ever terraform a planet and watch as the animals all run to a close body of water and start drinking?

Offline Koronii

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 04, 2008, 11:59:31 pm »
Well a island surrounded by salt water, and if u drink salt water u will die of thirst... but anyways...

The drinking things critters already do, ever terraform a planet and watch as the animals all run to a close body of water and start drinking?

Yeah, but that is simply to give the illusion that those species are simulated to any real extent, afterr tribal stage creatures just hang about not doing anything, which isn't much of a change from the creature stage admittedly. I'd really like to see some life in these creatures for once, not them just wandering around killing stuff.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 05, 2008, 06:41:02 am »
Well my method is mainly suggested as it easy to implement from a programing standpoint. To do it like a vehicle editor i think would be controversial and hard to balance out. after all we are not talking about 3 abilities here. We are talking about a close to 20.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 11:03:52 am by Yokto »
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline IamMe

• Gorf Goon
  • +200 Points!
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 05, 2008, 10:57:08 am »
How about a part that adds +1 to a skill?

Like if you have Level 2 charge, and do not like the part that gives you Level 3 charge, you can just slap on a "+1 Charge" part and you will have Level 3 charge, but with a Level 2 charge part. Hope that makes sense. :P

So it'd be the level system we have now, but with a few parts that use the level system from the CC.

And of course there would be one for every skill, including speed and health.

Offline Grangan

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 05, 2008, 11:14:02 am »
  • The ability to make a Dyson sphere. It costs a lot of money, even more than the planet killers, but it creates a hollow sphere around the selected solar system, which will make all planets with blue orbits green. It will also make the solar system invisible to others and also provides protection.
...How is this valid? This sounds more like some kind of legalized cheat code than a feature.

Ummm... what?
He said it costs money.
And it is scientifically plausible.
Twas Brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe, all mimsy were the borogoves and the mome raths outgrabe.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 05, 2008, 12:44:56 pm »
Well you should ask you self how it adds to the fun factor of the game. You can add a million things to a game but if it do not add to the fun factor then there is not point in adding it at all.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline Grangan

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 05, 2008, 06:04:14 pm »
Is a Megalaser any more "fun" to use than a laser?
And it would look cool.
Twas Brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe, all mimsy were the borogoves and the mome raths outgrabe.

Offline Crowster

• Defender Devotee
  • It's Crow-Time, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • The Adventures of Crow-Man
« Reply #249 on: October 05, 2008, 06:09:17 pm »
Well you should ask you self how it adds to the fun factor of the game. You can add a million things to a game but if it do not add to the fun factor then there is not point in adding it at all.

The same kind of fun factor that adding more career options in Sims had. Didn't really add more fun gameplay, just expanded what was possible in the world, and for many people, yes, that did add to the fun of the game.

Offline AtmaDarkwolf

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 05, 2008, 06:17:29 pm »
but how would u leave or enter said system? U would basically be cutting off that system from the universe completely...

And if u can leave and enter as u wish, isn't that sorta like an 'I WIN' button? Not really interested in that unless there's maybe 1-2 in the entire universe (Like more rare formations), none of the planets inside said system have spice, and it's hard to get to. (Maybe defended by super grox or something, dunno)

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 05, 2008, 06:21:45 pm »
Well those carries open up new items. That is at least what i saw as the main selling factor. I am not saying a Dyson sphere can not be fun. But it can be done better i think. One thing for example that could make it more fun is that you may have to collect something or complete something to get the part to it and so on as just buying it for a lot of money do not really make it a lot more fun.

If i would have done it i would make it something monumental. Building one would be a huge undertaking and finding one would be a great treat. Conquering one would be a massive undertaking that would involve combat unlike anything else. Make it different in other words.

As for the Mega Laser. It just a upgraded Laser. The fun factor is that is kills stuff faster. And unlike the sphere you more likely to have direct use of it rather then just being one more spice source. And we all know that spice trading is nether hard nor that rewarding. Also i have to say is always more fun to get a other type of weapon then just a upgrade new one. At least that is what i think
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline Logan Felipe

• Ultima Lord
  • SAND JABBA!
    • View Profile
    • Personal World Clock
« Reply #252 on: October 05, 2008, 06:31:27 pm »
The ability to filter creations under "everything" in spore.

For example, lets say I want to erase all Maxis creatures from my game. I start by viewing only creatures. I click filter and type in "Maxis". A box will pop up asking me if I'm sure that I want to delete all "Maxis" creations and reminds me that this action cannot be undone. I select yes. It deletes all maxis creatures.

Though actually, I would be content with just being able to delete maxis creatures, since I can't currently do that.

Another nice thing would be to be able to set simple preferences. For example, a slide bar that looks like this:

Pollination Preferences
Content:
User made----------------(o)------------------Others

Move it to the right, and other players' content (and maxis content) will appear most often.
Move it to the left, and your content will appear most often.

That way, I can actually see my creatures in game.

This would also make it possible to have more control over which creatures show up on your planet, as you can just move creatures you don't want at the moment to an archive folder already by selecting it in options.
Spore! Star Wars! Dinosaurs!
Fanfic!

I blame what I call the Scopes Law (When discussing evolution in the presence of a creationist, the discussion always becomes a religious debate).

Offline Grangan

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 06, 2008, 05:01:08 pm »
Well those carries open up new items. That is at least what i saw as the main selling factor. I am not saying a Dyson sphere can not be fun. But it can be done better i think. One thing for example that could make it more fun is that you may have to collect something or complete something to get the part to it and so on as just buying it for a lot of money do not really make it a lot more fun.

If i would have done it i would make it something monumental. Building one would be a huge undertaking and finding one would be a great treat. Conquering one would be a massive undertaking that would involve combat unlike anything else. Make it different in other words.

As for the Mega Laser. It just a upgraded Laser. The fun factor is that is kills stuff faster. And unlike the sphere you more likely to have direct use of it rather then just being one more spice source. And we all know that spice trading is nether hard nor that rewarding. Also i have to say is always more fun to get a other type of weapon then just a upgrade new one. At least that is what i think
It is something monumental.  He said "More than planetbuster", and he didn't say HOW much more.  I interpreted that as  "100 million sporebucks".

Offline AtmaDarkwolf

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 06, 2008, 06:28:34 pm »
And since you can only get 99,999,999 spore bucks, it's unattainable :D