Author Topic: The Valid Suggestion Thread For Maxis  (Read 160704 times)

Offline Ondaderthad

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • Area32 - Westgate Builders
Re: The Valid Suggestion Thread For Maxis
« Reply #225 on: October 02, 2008, 06:26:51 pm »
  Time seems to pass dependent on how many parts you collect, how many times you attack and socialize and how many times you evolve. If you leave your character sitting for hours and come back and evolve after doing nothing, barely any time passes. That was my impression at least. I managed to evolve a fully develop species in 3.2 billion years once. Wasn't the fanciest species. It was semi-complex with full level items though.

The question is "does it make any difference on the Space Stage?"
Are your closest neighbour much further away if you do a "speed run" ?
Are they less developed ie. only 1 or 2 stars instead of a large empire?

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 02, 2008, 07:55:37 pm »
form what i know time does not play any part of what is around you. BUT! You can stimulate new empires with a other save game (or so i am pretty sure of.) Empires expands for example when you play with one of you other games in the space age.
Check out my Creatures.
The Æthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
« Reply #227 on: October 02, 2008, 08:46:59 pm »
You know, I found one thing that is not right about the way the 'card' history line is adjusted.

Basically, the entire thing seems broken.

Once i had the line move off the bottom of the screen and reappear at the top (or visa versa, i forget)

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 02, 2008, 09:13:40 pm »
could be. But i am not sure. I only know that i have manage to reach the creature stage in 700 billion years. But i will test one thing. Brb >_>

(Scurries of to spore.)

(Scurries back to the forum.)

Yeah i have tested it in spore stage. Time seems to play a factor. i tried to play minimum action rather then doing a speed run and it seems that speed runs are much faster in game time wise. It took about double the in game time to do it minimum action rather then trying to rush though the stage.

Not this was just based on two test. One carnivore and one herbivorous. all other date comes form old games where i have been making speed runs (With the best time of  700 billion years as i mentioned before.)

700 billion O.o, thats far longer than the universe has even existed. Unless you mean million and not billion. Unless you're using the UK version of billion, which is million for the US I think.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 03, 2008, 07:39:04 am »
Well is just me writing wrong. And you talking about long and short. UK actually use short like US (at least the last time i looked.)

Oh and it would just make it worse if it was long as billion in long would be equal to trillion in short.

so to make it clear. 700 million years.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 07:41:32 am by Yokto »
Check out my Creatures.
The Æthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 03, 2008, 08:06:48 am »
You probably should edit your origional post then.

Anyways, I've found that if you intentionally take as long as possible in the cell stage (such as just constantly swimming in one direction), you can actually drag it out. I tried it once and dragged it out to 5 billion years. Not sure if that continues after you have reached the end of the stage, but since it does the same in creature phase, it probably does.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 03, 2008, 12:17:59 pm »
GYAH! I admit it! I convert! I was unwashed but now I am CLLEEAAAAN.
No, i'm not talking about Spode, but asymmetry! Not just in spaceships, but in creatures and maybe vehicles. If just as a console command to 'enable' an asymmetry toggling button. I made the mistake of downloading the asymmetry mod last night, and I spent a long time making a limping, gorey zombie-ape. Not being able to share it with the world makes me a saaaad panda.

Offline Techleo

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 03, 2008, 12:58:19 pm »
I still haven't used the Symmetry mod. I need tooooo! I have a space ship which absolutely needs it. I agree it needs to be a option clickable something or other.

I just managed to test out my theory on time passage and seem to be right. I picked up only the parts I needed and got my race where I needed then just socialized tell I evolved enough to go tribe. Fully functional in 2.7billion years. That is a quickly evolved critter!

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 03, 2008, 01:32:01 pm »
yea, I generally finish creature before 3 billion years.

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 03, 2008, 01:32:58 pm »
wow. I usually finish cell around 3 billion years :-p

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline Blulightning

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Radioactive Kitty!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 03, 2008, 04:46:21 pm »
You know, I found one thing that is not right about the way the 'card' history line is adjusted.

Basically, the entire thing seems broken.

Once i had the line move off the bottom of the screen and reappear at the top (or visa versa, i forget)

Ah! That's definitely proof that the history line is bugged! Much more evident than anything I saw... even though I DID see a random drop (and a random rise) in two of my games.

Offline Ichthyostega

• Rally-X Roadster
  • Behold! The fanhorn from the planet Snaiad.
    • View Profile
    • Ichthyostegland
« Reply #236 on: October 04, 2008, 03:57:17 pm »
  • The ability to make a Dyson sphere. It costs a lot of money, even more than the planet killers, but it creates a hollow sphere around the selected solar system, which will make all planets with blue orbits green. It will also make the solar system invisible to others and also provides protection.
Ichthyostega

Offline AtmaDarkwolf

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 04, 2008, 04:42:02 pm »
1: Flesh out tribal and civ stages a LOT, they both zip past way too fast and feel way too dumbed down.

2: Expand on creature stage, as many have suggested(not make it longer, just make it more interesting) - Creatures should wander more, they should forge, they should require to drink(even poop, it worked in the sims, right?)

3: Parts in the editor... First should cost(whichever is the most expensive) but then free. Also, allow abilities to be adjusted as per the users want/need. I want jump lv 4-5, but I hate the raptor and/or frog feet for my walking canine-man, give us the option to alter the creatures stats/skills without giving it parts that just don't 'fit' Some restrictions must be kept(as in without horns or a specialized mouth, no charge attack, etc) but if I want to make a battle hardy, but social pack like monster, I should have that option without giving him parts that just do not fit the look of the critter... and without needing to 'hide' the part just to get the bonus/skill (that stupid FLOWER anyone?) - Basically make DNA points pay for abilities, but allow us to mod our critter as we see fit as he grows and gains more parts.. make the parts mostly cosmetic, but abilities gained though use/growth and not purely based on some random part.

4: Remember EVO, the old SNES game? I kinda feel that this game fills the gap between cell and creature and later again between creature and tribal.

5: Tribal sucks. We go and beat up or make music for 5 other tribes and BANG we got the ability to build armored tanks that shoot missiles... How about make tribal a gradual growth focused on gaining industrialism, which then can be used to build cities and those missile spitting tanks. How about sea warfare, we are on a continent, why not go from tribal, to ships to seek out and find the other continents, etc.

6: Civ stage, make us need to not only gain all the other cities, but research different weapons/tech's and then allow our first steps in space stage with access to said tools. Example, research new weapons, and develop a now bomb, which our aerial units use, and when we achieve spaceflight, we can buy the mini bomb right off the bat. (Example I give would apply to most techs, the lowest level of each example, and if u did not research and find said tech, u can still gain it though badges later) - allow this to apply to weapons(for the military types/cities) colonization (loyalty booster, spice storage, etc ideas) stuffs to apply for economic types/cities, and socialization/eco-related items for the greenies. I also mean that these said researches should also be usable, to a lesser extent, during the civ stage u developed them in.

7: Space stage is too shallow. Its good for 'easy' mode, but for normal or hard, I want multiple spice productions at each colony(2-3 different types maybe on 'rich' planets) more AI interaction with you(IE they trade spice with you, behind the scenes, etc) tax options, better defense (Orbital stations, which have to be defeated before u can land on a planet, the need to land 'troops' on a planet to capture a city(once it's 'surrendered' it can go into a more creature stage like battle scene with better futuristic weapons, etc. Would fit well with the warmongering types) And just like many said, less of the stupid "BEEP BEEP BEEP" said colony is gonna diiiiee.... etc etc(The patch did not fix it for me, in fact instead of 1 per 5 min, i get 5-10 all at once every 5 minutes)

8: Remove DRM. Remove it now.

Offline Koronii

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 04, 2008, 04:50:23 pm »
  • The ability to make a Dyson sphere. It costs a lot of money, even more than the planet killers, but it creates a hollow sphere around the selected solar system, which will make all planets with blue orbits green. It will also make the solar system invisible to others and also provides protection.
...How is this valid? This sounds more like some kind of legalized cheat code than a feature.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 04, 2008, 06:45:59 pm »
Yeah the dyson sphere do not seem to add any more fun in to the game.

Anyway i have a suggestion for a change in parts mechanics.
  • Rather then have parts that gives just highest stat bonus like now or have parts gives you stat bonus depending on how many parts you add like the creature editor during the demo stage make it so that adding parts gives you diminishing returns. This way a 4 legged creature would gain a edge over a two legged but at the same time good feet would be more valuable then lots of bad feet. Goes naturally for any part. I think it would promote a bit more interesting designs.
Check out my Creatures.
The Æthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons