Author Topic: The Valid Suggestion Thread For Maxis  (Read 160706 times)

Offline Arachoid

• Tempest Top Dog
  • A new musical revelation...
    • View Profile
Re: The Valid Suggestion Thread For Maxis
« Reply #210 on: September 30, 2008, 03:44:19 pm »
I could make so many comments about the previous sentence.
I'm glad i'm only putting forward my opinion, otherwise I might have been in for another bickery debate here, methinks. With the general quality floating around, with all the unpainted junk, making asymmetry easily accessible feels like it would be a doomsday manuever, for those who dont use the 'buddy content only' thing. Making it so that you had to hold two keys to enable it or something? That might work. If they cant find the damn paint button, then they shouldnt be able to find THAT. Then we get to have awesome spaceships, whee.

Maybe if they put it into the paint menu... No no no, that would just be heinously ludicrous. Tee hee. That sounds funny. Or it could be a cheat, activated via the cheat console... Then these educated illiterates couldn't find it, nor would those of us who want this feature be dismayed... I think that may be the best fix for this problem.
I say NO! to all limits.
Unfortunately, I don't think we're far enough into the Civ stage to have deveoped into the 'Infinite-ghz processing' research tree yet...

Offline Blulightning

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Radioactive Kitty!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 30, 2008, 07:46:12 pm »
I think one thing that should be added to the creature phase is occasional corpses left around.
And occasionally nests left abandoned with some eggs.

In real life, it's not like the animals don't leave any meat, or any of their eggs, behind. It's realistic and needed.

At the very least, the game could stop grouping creatures together in large clumps. Having a creature randomly by itself scavenging for food.

Why is it needed? I'll tell you.

As it is now for carnivores, when you need to eat you have to kill something. Killing things forces you to be more carnivorous in the timeline.
This forces you to have to socialize more creatures than you kill, because you have to make up for killing stuff, if you want to become more social.
In turn, this is hard to do, because while socializing creatures you're going to get hungry, forcing you to eat a species.
Eating too many of a species causes them to be extinct and causing you to sink lower into the red.

Basically it's just a downward spiral. And the longer you stay in the creature stage (as in, if you want to collect all of creature parts) the lower in red you'll probably get.

While herbivores and omnivores both are given plentiful food EVERYWHERE. It's in the bushes and the trees, which are located on every inch of terrain.
Making it easy for you to choose whether you want to go green, blue, or red.

Just something for Maxis to think about.  ;)

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
« Reply #212 on: October 01, 2008, 07:30:47 am »
-(i dont know for sure about this seeing as i havent had spore and i dont know if the patch fixed this) Less agressive AI, particularly in space phase

I've just started one space game since the patch, but from that experience i think the problem is solved or at least no longer significant.

I've gotten up to the "find the grox" mission without fighting anybody but pirates.  I took proactive steps to make friends with the near-by aggressive empires, but really didn't work to hard at it.  I think i gave one bribe, and there were several other times when i refused to pay, or simply didn't have the money.

Offline Gzillafan1

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 01, 2008, 12:31:54 pm »
I dont know if this is possible but is worth a shot.I would love for there to be a page in the in-game and online Sporepedia that shows the names of the people that subscribed to you and the people you are subcribed to.

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 01, 2008, 01:24:29 pm »
-(i dont know for sure about this seeing as i havent had spore and i dont know if the patch fixed this) Less agressive AI, particularly in space phase
I've just started one space game since the patch, but from that experience i think the problem is solved or at least no longer significant.

thats good to hear thanks ;)
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline Pietoro

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia
« Reply #215 on: October 01, 2008, 01:42:26 pm »
As it is now for carnivores, when you need to eat you have to kill something. Killing things forces you to be more carnivorous in the timeline.
This forces you to have to socialize more creatures than you kill, because you have to make up for killing stuff, if you want to become more social.
In turn, this is hard to do, because while socializing creatures you're going to get hungry, forcing you to eat a species.
Eating too many of a species causes them to be extinct and causing you to sink lower into the red.

Basically it's just a downward spiral. And the longer you stay in the creature stage (as in, if you want to collect all of creature parts) the lower in red you'll probably get.

While herbivores and omnivores both are given plentiful food EVERYWHERE. It's in the bushes and the trees, which are located on every inch of terrain.
Making it easy for you to choose whether you want to go green, blue, or red.

Just something for Maxis to think about.  ;)

More eggs should be spawned in creature nests, so that if you wanted to be an egg-eater it's more feasible. I wanted to try that route, but eggs seemed to be pretty uncommon.
"Ooh rabba la dee teeb, ooh babba labba squeeb!"

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 01, 2008, 06:36:40 pm »
I know its been mentioned already, but I agree completely on the empires having a set building for the colonies. Basically some way for the colonies to already have the buildings selected or just have a set for the empire that you can just select.

Also, this thread really needs some compiling so that things don't get suggested over and over again.

Offline Ichthyostega

• Rally-X Roadster
  • Behold! The fanhorn from the planet Snaiad.
    • View Profile
    • Ichthyostegland
« Reply #217 on: October 02, 2008, 02:25:54 pm »
  • Shorten the timespan between generations, because when I did a series of things (wiping out and sociallizing with a lot of creatures before evolving), it said it took 45 billion years. 45 billion years!? Absolutely ludicrous! Unless the star was a red dwarf, the star would have already have long died as a white dwarf. Besides, the next generation wasn't as divergent as the previous one.
Ichthyostega

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
« Reply #218 on: October 02, 2008, 02:52:34 pm »
Others and I have mentioned "linking" content, so that for instance buildings would go with the race they are designed for.

On further though i think it would be better if the player could explicitly link together the creature, buildings, vehicles and UFOs, since the order of construction may vary, and it would allow people to define other creator's buildings, vehicles and UFOs as "going with" their creature rather than have the player duplicate it.  This would really make each each empire seem more interesting and complete, and moderate some of the senseless randomness that IMHO hurts the space experience.

I hold out more hope for seeing this on the web, since the features there work so much better but it would be something like this:

For any given creature, you can select another creature as it's next level, and editing the selection is possible.  This selection would be visible in the Sporepedia when you examine a card.

Any civ creature could also link to up to 9 vehicles (air, land, and sea of the 3 types), and a complete set of buildings.

Any space creature would link to a UFO, a complete set of buildings and 3 colony vehicles.

Of course not all these slots need to be filled.  If a creator doesn't build or define (for instance) a set of religious vehicles for his race, Spore would just select some other ones.  And if the player wants to come back and redo the civ vehicles for a creature that he brought to space, that's fine too.

When downloading stuff the player should have the option of getting just the single piece of content, or all the associated content.

This would really help uplifted species look better because currently they are stuck in whatever physical form they are found in.  I.E. if you uplift a tribal creature, even if you have the Civ and Space outfitted versions downloaded, it will stay in its tribal gear forever.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 02, 2008, 02:52:56 pm »
  • Shorten the timespan between generations, because when I did a series of things (wiping out and sociallizing with a lot of creatures before evolving), it said it took 45 billion years. 45 billion years!? Absolutely ludicrous! Unless the star was a red dwarf, the star would have already have long died as a white dwarf. Besides, the next generation wasn't as divergent as the previous one.
It is not based on Generation as i know it but on how long you have played.
Check out my Creatures.
The ニthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Techleo

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 02, 2008, 03:06:14 pm »
  Time seems to pass dependent on how many parts you collect, how many times you attack and socialize and how many times you evolve. If you leave your character sitting for hours and come back and evolve after doing nothing, barely any time passes. That was my impression at least. I managed to evolve a fully develop species in 3.2 billion years once. Wasn't the fanciest species. It was semi-complex with full level items though.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 02, 2008, 03:23:23 pm »
could be. But i am not sure. I only know that i have manage to reach the creature stage in 700 million years. But i will test one thing. Brb >_>

(Scurries of to spore.)

(Scurries back to the forum.)

Yeah i have tested it in spore stage. Time seems to play a factor. i tried to play minimum action rather then doing a speed run and it seems that speed runs are much faster in game time wise. It took about double the in game time to do it minimum action rather then trying to rush though the stage.

Not this was just based on two test. One carnivore and one herbivorous. all other date comes form old games where i have been making speed runs (With the best time of  700 million years as i mentioned before.)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 10:24:11 am by Yokto »
Check out my Creatures.
The ニthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline DylanTK

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 02, 2008, 04:58:01 pm »
Here's a teensy tiny suggestion that will likely be entirely overlooked: Let trees fade in space mode when you get extremely close to them. It doesn't make much sense that my ship can go lower than the forest canopy, and therefore can theoretically see the ground, but I cannot see anything due to the camera position... Trying to angle it horizontally is a big pain too. It would make eco-disasters MUCH less frustrating if I could actually see what my ship is able to see. Or wait.. Forget the tree fading... Just let us have a 1st-person POV option in space. :D That'd be AWESOME!

Offline Blulightning

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Radioactive Kitty!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 02, 2008, 05:45:00 pm »
You know, I found one thing that is not right about the way the 'card' history line is adjusted.

Basically, the entire thing seems broken.
I played an entire game to watch what it was doing each time I 'did' something, because I thought it was broken and yep it is definitely broken!

I've killed 1 creature and my line plummeted.
I kill 25 others, and it doesn't budge.

I gift a tribe, my line shoots up.
I gift a different tribe, my line stays exactly where it is.

Not to mention the RANDOM dips or jumps with the line that I've recently noticed.

AND... on one of my latest creations the line got to the bottom, in the creature phase, and it never moved up ever again even though I befriended about 20-40 other creatures.
Basically, I extinct a few because I was a carnivore, I needed to eat and get points, and they were aggressive.
The line dropped.
I then befriended ALL of the remaining non-aggressive creatures on the island. YES ALL OF THEM.
And the freakin' line didn't budge!

The little glitches like that just have me.... highly annoyed with this game.
It's supposed to be a "make your own story" game, but instead I'm being FORCED into a "LIVE WITH IT!" game.

Whatever is causing the problems with the history-line adjustments definitely needs fixed.

By the way, for anyone interested, I found the game to be EXTREMELY biased against RED cards.
You gain more 'social points' doing a social activity then you do 'aggressive points' doing an aggressive activity.
AND it may change the point adjustments depending on what kind of mouth you have, which to me just seems very wrong.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 02, 2008, 05:50:41 pm »
Yeah i notice something like that on my hard game in tribe and i was very worried. Could there be some lag in the system? But it seems unlikely. Still this treed is not about bug reporting form what i understand so this might be in the wrong area.
Check out my Creatures.
The ニthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons