Author Topic: The Valid Suggestion Thread For Maxis  (Read 160707 times)

Offline nightk

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
Re: The Valid Suggestion Thread For Maxis
« Reply #165 on: September 27, 2008, 12:17:57 am »
A pre-tribe stage that is a simple tribe stage but you control a creature and you aren't always in the same place.you must look for food for your tribe, natural resources (such as hard wood or some thing that works as a glue) to make tools would be cool i guess(i think some people will not like it)

Offline Luperion

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 27, 2008, 12:28:35 am »
Lots of good suggestions in this thread and decided to add some of my own.

First thing: no discrete stages. The only reason we have stages currently is because each new stage 'gives' you the things you need to play it. But what if you had to WORK for those things as part of the gameplay?

From Cell: float to surface, go to land. Other creatures you attack/ally have parts that you need - those are given rather than something random, just like how the critter with spikes in Cell gives you a spike when you kill him.

In Creature stage, introduce trading in the form of rocks, sticks and shells, thus giving them use as a form of currency.

Every action, as it does now, has consequences. The progress of play thus teaches you: how to be social, how to be aggressive, how to trade, and the benefits of each.

End of Creature: Once having learnt how to do all of the above, player rubs two sticks together in nest and makes fire. Realises ability to make tools and starts using tools to do things (make a stone axe, make a fishing spear, make drums.) Learn how to make tools for everything required in Tribe 'stage'. Trade or kill for knowledge of how to do new things that you haven't learnt yet, from other creatures that have the knowledge. Nests all over the world are now becoming tribes. The ones you allied are still your allies because everything has consequences. Your enemies are still your enemies too but now attack you with weapons, and knowledge.

Along the way you start making clothing items for your tribe which act like clothes in Tribe Stage: more gathering, more social, more combat, etc. You start making your nest into more than just a nest.

Once all tool-making has been learnt, you learn to make a tribal hut. Maybe having professions for making tools, or build a hut to house the tools you build. Once again, you trade/kill/share for the knowledge of building a type of hut that you don't have. All of this would replace Tribe Stage.

After hut-making, game becomes about villages. You have to ally or kill or trade with other villages in order to progress. As you progress through this 'stage' you learn about making vehicles. Start with land, and then sea, and then air. Progress towards Civ 'stage' thus involves making the parts you need in order to BE a civ.

Insert Civ stage here.

After you ally/trade/destroy everyone else and conquer the planet, you make a spaceship that can only fly to other planets in your solar system. Maybe make it that there are always 5 planets: three on green orbit paths (you're in the middle), one red path and one blue path. Maybe have some moons on some of the planets. Make it at this stage that collecting spice becomes important, or at least it gives you something to do with all the spice you collected during Civ stage. :-) Solar System Stage is thus about becoming the dominant force in your solar system.

And there's a million different ways to improve everything that comes after this.

Offline Blulightning

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Radioactive Kitty!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 27, 2008, 04:58:36 am »
I just realized something that has really annoyed me. (Yet again...)

After "completing" a stage, but before moving on to the next, you can no longer adjust where your 'line' is.
If you end as a carnivore, yet immediately afterwards turn herbivore it doesn't matter a single bit.

Not only that, but you can't see where you are at, at the end, unless you actually choose the button to move on.

I think this should definitely change. I just spent about an hour in creature stage trying to make my creature more social, only to end up realizing that I'm stuck as a carnivore.... it really ticked me off.

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
« Reply #168 on: September 27, 2008, 07:00:18 am »
After "completing" a stage, but before moving on to the next, you can no longer adjust where your 'line' is.
If you end as a carnivore, yet immediately afterwards turn herbivore it doesn't matter a single bit.
Not true.

In several of the stages, (i assume almost all work this way) i've checked my time-line status just before completing the stage, and then committed a bunch of one kind of action.  When i ended the level, the line had moved noticeably from where is was a few DNA/Food points away from finishing.  All my actions were on the timeline.

I don't know if there is a way to adjust your civ status after completing the stage, are there still any points to be earned without cities?

Not only that, but you can't see where you are at, at the end, unless you actually choose the button to move on.

Unfortunately true.

It's not very good design, since the time when it's most important to check on your timeline to see which card you are getting, is when that function is taken away, and replaced with the "end level" function.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 27, 2008, 10:16:46 am »
Fix you darn severs! That is what annoys me the most! I have been trying now for days to get my sporecast running but nooo..... I can not update the damn thing with all my stuff. I made the "mistake" of fixing one of my buildings in spore. Well now i can not even add it to my sporecast! Damn it annoys me so much! and they do not tell you why it does not work. Just that there severs suck! I mean i am a bit of a perfectionist and i do not like it when things are not perfect. So i often try to fix them. But that is a bad thing to do in spore. You may end up in some limbo where you stuff is up but one one can reach them! ARGH! I will play TF2 now!  >:(
Check out my Creatures.
The Æthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline fish

• Boot Hill Bandit
  • In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
    • View Profile
    • My art
« Reply #170 on: September 27, 2008, 10:44:47 am »
I second the "Fixing the servers" thing, as for about 2 days now I've been trying to add someone to my buddies list but every single time I try I get an "Error connecting to the sporepedia" message. It's highly irratating.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 27, 2008, 10:49:50 am »
I second the "Fixing the servers" thing, as for about 2 days now I've been trying to add someone to my buddies list but every single time I try I get an "Error connecting to the sporepedia" message. It's highly irratating.

Same here!!! Although the error connecting to sporepedia thing has been happening to profiles for me for quite a while.

Offline fish

• Boot Hill Bandit
  • In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
    • View Profile
    • My art
« Reply #172 on: September 27, 2008, 11:00:34 am »
Same here!!! Although the error connecting to sporepedia thing has been happening to profiles for me for quite a while.

Yeah it has been happening to me for quite a while too, but I only really noticed it when I started adding loads of GamingSteve members. For example I just tried to add you to get a better look at your stuff but it just point blank refuses to let me. What annoys me the most is that because I don't post here all the time, I forget peoples names / sporepedia names and so some awesome stuff that I could have been going "ooooh" at becomes lost if I don't make a note of things.

I don't know, maybe another valid suggetion seeing as I'm on the topic of the Sporepedia is to eaither just go the whole hog and give it "social networking" capabilities (instant messages, in-game chat) or to allow people to post comments / love on someones main sporepedia page. Also, in the sporepedia I think it should show more creatures without you having to "click for more", simply because there is all that space with nothing in it.

:)

Offline Ichthyostega

• Rally-X Roadster
  • Behold! The fanhorn from the planet Snaiad.
    • View Profile
    • Ichthyostegland
« Reply #173 on: September 27, 2008, 12:53:38 pm »
  • Ragdoll physics would be great.
  • In the Water Phase expansion, you could be given the option to go to the water phase or go straight to land.
  • When a creature from the Tribal Phase eats, the food should disappear when he puts it into his mouth.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 01:17:16 pm by Ichthyostega »
Ichthyostega

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 27, 2008, 02:02:46 pm »
  • When a creature from the Tribal Phase eats, the food should disappear when he puts it into his mouth.
What exactly do you mean? the eating animation is the same as in creature phase and if you have gathered more than one type of food, say meat and fish, you'll notice that one pile will dissapear.

Offline Ozymandias

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 27, 2008, 02:39:48 pm »
Each creature should include a time line for that creature up to that point, so you won't end up seeing lots of less evolved versions of the same creature, also if a monolith is used the creature if possible should follow the time line created by the person who made it.

Offline spiritofcat

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Ta-da!
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 27, 2008, 09:41:31 pm »

Unfortunately true.

It's not very good design, since the time when it's most important to check on your timeline to see which card you are getting, is when that function is taken away, and replaced with the "end level" function.

Actually, not true.
Just use the keyboard shortcut 'T' to open and close the timeline as often as you want without progressing to the next stage.

Offline Blulightning

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Radioactive Kitty!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 27, 2008, 10:59:06 pm »
In several of the stages, (i assume almost all work this way) i've checked my time-line status just before completing the stage, and then committed a bunch of one kind of action.  When i ended the level, the line had moved noticeably from where is was a few DNA/Food points away from finishing.  All my actions were on the timeline.

I don't know if there is a way to adjust your civ status after completing the stage, are there still any points to be earned without cities?

I think maybe this was changed in the last patch ?? ?? ?? ??
I thought I too had a game where I changed my 'position' after the phase ended... but I wasn't sure, I thought I was mistaken.

But, I allied about 10 creatures after the phase ended in my latest game (yesterday) and it didn't move my line even the slightest bit, and I only extincted (is that a word?) 1 creature because they attacked me and I had no choice...

Maybe it's a glitch that my line won't move? I don't know, all I know is that now I need it fixed. Because I wanted to end that phase with Blue! :'(

And thank you spiritofcat for the tip to open the timeline without ending the phase!
I'll try that next time! I thought opening it always ended the phase, so I never tried it.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 11:01:59 pm by Blulightning »

Offline Edward

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 27, 2008, 11:09:50 pm »
I didn't have patience to read all 12 pages of other members' posts... but in a quick read I saw some interesting ones...
Here's mine:

- A New Way for Conquering Enemies Star Systems: Instead of just take your UFO and zap their colonies/cities... Make it more RTS like... something close to Civ phase... you know... This would include setting a Ground base on the enemie's planet that could sustain a few couple buildings some for combat and other for defensive purposes... the the option to start creating vehicles for taking over the place. That would be nice. Also leaving the option of UFO diplomacy we have up... lol... Just in case you are in a hurry to take those colonies out as the games gets more complex you become a busy man... lol... That's it.

EDIT:
Here's a good one that has just came up along my mind: More customization feature on Tribal stage... Things such as building your own hut and weapons from scratch and more room or slots or whatever you call to place them... I would like to see the situation where we have more than one tribe as we ally or conquer them we have one extra hut to deal with, that would lead us to developing a defense system for each of them (towers maybe?)... the mount ability would be nice to see as well...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 11:18:02 pm by Edward »

Offline Insani99999

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 28, 2008, 12:40:29 am »
- Usable Grox Parts. Face It---Who doesnt want access to cybor Borg parts?

-UnderWater stage I would love to swim around in my oceans, not just swim around for 10 seconds then get eaten by beegfeesh.