Author Topic: The Valid Suggestion Thread For Maxis  (Read 133753 times)

Offline Rubric

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
Re: The Valid Suggestion Thread For Maxis
« Reply #150 on: September 26, 2008, 06:31:56 am »
Evolution and Style linkages for Creatures... So the game won't use multiple stages of the same creature so often and the creatures will get the right buildings and vehicles.  (adding evolving creatures in game would be a plus... like in the old demos.)

Yeah, i'd like to see a certain amount of intelligence in what is seeded where.  Currently it seems totally random, except in Creature.

To the best of it's ability it should try to seed the universe a creature only once per galaxy, failing that only once per saved game.

I disagree with this.  I DO think the pollination system has lots of room for improvement, but I like finding my own creations (or other players' creations) more than once.  It just needs to be toned way down. 

And it shouldn't put fully evolved versions of your creature as wild animals in the same game where you are playing Tribe with that creature.  This has happened to me several times.  Last game I played, about half the nests in Tribe were my own creature that I was playing.  Not earlier versions, but the exact same version (just without clothes).  Something is definitely wrong there.

And of course it should try to keep buildings and vehicles with the species they belong to.

That would be a great thing to add.  It would help to increase the incentive to design good buildings.  The way it is now, I can't help thinking that I'm the only one who will ever see these buildings grouped together with this creature, and it really hurts the creative process.

And the Player's UFO should not be seeded in his galaxy.

Within the Saved Game where you're using it, that's fine.  I would still like to see my UFO's in other games, with strong preference over random ones.

Offline Prathik

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 26, 2008, 06:37:22 am »
I personally feel that the Space Stage should be more like Master of Orion II.

They could learn lots of great stuff from that game:

- The need for food production, to the point of having to especialize a few agricultural planets;

- Population affects production, and you can relocate population to different planets, and to different functions such as scientists, factory workers and farm workers;

- More options for diplomacy, such as the possibility of having spies and a galactic "senate";

- The possibility of building freighter ships for inter-colonies trade;

- Difference of fertility and mineral richness;

- Screens for diplomacy, or lists of colonies;

And a lot more.

Totally agreed. The galactic senate idea is totally awesome. Or maybe not even that.. maybe form your own senate.. like a senate for the arm of the galaxy that your in. Imagine a war in the scale of that thing :P

Agriculture thing I dont agree with.. too much micromangment In my opinion, but yeah planets should offer more things than just spice.. kinda seems dumb.

Hopefully Maxis beef up the space stage heaps for the next expansion. Screw the underwater phase..

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
« Reply #152 on: September 26, 2008, 06:46:08 am »
And the Player's UFO should not be seeded in his galaxy.

Within the Saved Game where you're using it, that's fine.  I would still like to see my UFO's in other games, with strong preference over random ones.

That's not a valid distinction.  There are no boundary lines between saved games.  I can visit any planet from with any of my species. (assuming i build up the UFO enough)

I personally feel that the Space Stage should be more like Master of Orion II.

They could learn lots of great stuff from that game:

- The need for food production, to the point of having to especialize a few agricultural planets;

- Population affects production, and you can relocate population to different planets, and to different functions such as scientists, factory workers and farm workers;

- More options for diplomacy, such as the possibility of having spies and a galactic "senate";

- The possibility of building freighter ships for inter-colonies trade;

- Difference of fertility and mineral richness;

- Screens for diplomacy, or lists of colonies;

MoOII was a great game in a lot of ways, but it's not a great model for Spore.

MoOII is a turn-based game with dozens of planets, Spore is semi-real-time, with hundreds of thousands.  Lots of features that work find with dozens of planets become horrible with hundreds of planets.  Sure there are things they could add, but trying to make Spore feel like MoOII would end up producing an monster, unless you throw everything away and start over.  Sure, they could put more detail in Spore, but the level of detail in MoOii is way too much for a non turn-based game.

How do you determine who is on this galactic senate?  Is it really going to be fun to "vote" when your empire has 1/10000th of the total vote?

Shuffling population around IMHO was one of the worst features of MoOII and got quickly got annoying when you had more than a small empire.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 07:19:06 am by eleazar »

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 26, 2008, 07:30:36 am »
If people are going to start saying phases of Spore should be more like X game, this threads starts to lose it's validity. Not that we aren't guilty of it a little, especially since that's the way Spore was introduced to us, but still Spore is it's own game now. I'm not complaining just making a note. :-p

Now, on a hypocritical note, if Space Phase should take it's cues from anything, I would think that the Imperium Galactica Series (specifically the "Promotion System", and the use of Fleets) would be the most prudent, since Space Phase as it is now is most adaptable to that style. Imperium Galactica was real-time (in Space and Space combat; turn-based [sorta] in ground combat), and a lot of it's features were inspired by 4X games. I miss those series of games. *Prepares to install DOSBox and Imperium Galactica 1, again*
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline benjaminge

• Galaxian Guru
  • He said it, not me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 26, 2008, 08:26:33 am »
Bookmarks

would like to see the ability to bookmark places in the game and leave comments about why. Specifically planets, I always forget where my high produce planets are, and which planets generally pay well for spice.
Apparently the warning "do not try this at home" really means "do not try this at all"... no one told ME!!!!

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 26, 2008, 11:18:09 am »
One thing I would REALLY like is to have the same textures that are available for buildings also be available for vehichles, especially the starships. The current selection kind of leaves starships a bit bland. I know that I can use the paint as and then use the dropper tool (the alt button), but you can't do it more than one at a time, and every time you do paint as, you lose any changes you made. So really, you can't grab more than two color schemes from the buildings. But even with the paint like feature, it doesn't always put the one you want on there.

Hopefully it would be possible to mod it so that the textures are available for vehichles.

Edit: or I could just use the ctrl Z button.... but I think you guys get my point.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 11:39:03 am by smjjames »

Offline Rubric

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 26, 2008, 11:28:54 am »
That's not a valid distinction.  There are no boundary lines between saved games.  I can visit any planet from with any of my species. (assuming i build up the UFO enough).

It's valid, because when I'm playing a game and using a particular space ship, I don't want to see other people using it.  But when I'm playing a different game, and using a different space ship, I don't mind running into my own creations.  In fact, I want it that way.

I'm just saying "once per galaxy" is not enough of anything, in my opinion.  I might make some really cool creation, and then one of my kids finds it in some game they start and play for 5 minutes and then quit (which they do fairly often).  Then what?  I never get to see that creation anywhere else?

Offline Crowster

• Defender Devotee
  • It's Crow-Time, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • The Adventures of Crow-Man
« Reply #157 on: September 26, 2008, 02:02:22 pm »
I just thought of something that I would really like to see implemented.

Ever had one of those moments when you are trying to avert an ecodisaster, but the creatures you are trying to hunt keep hiding in forests? Sure, I can fly my UFO into the forest, but actually getting my camera in a position to line up a shot is a pain, and wildly firing my lasers in the forest result in me killing many healthy creatures. If you're not careful, killing too many healthy creatures can result in an extinction.

I think this kind of situation would become infinitely easier if they simply added a "first person" toggle. Fly the ship into the forest, flip it to first person, and fire away. It would also work for getting screenshots of a planet without your UFO always hanging in the middle, and under certain circumstances it would make space battles easier.

Offline IamMe

• Gorf Goon
  • +200 Points!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 26, 2008, 02:08:58 pm »
-Bookmarks that I can leave for planets that I might want to return to with the ability to add notes like some others have said.

5) Galactic bookmarks. You can bookmark any planet or phenomena anywhere, and keep as many as you want. Maybe even attach notes to the bookmarks, like, "Don't forget to get the herbivores for T2!" or "Good spot for colony." Little reminders like that would be such a time saver.