Author Topic: The Valid Suggestion Thread For Maxis  (Read 133919 times)

Offline tuggles

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
Re: The Valid Suggestion Thread For Maxis
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2008, 08:35:30 am »
Ok a lot of these have already been said so I wont go into too much detail on them.

-Planet and flora editor! Enough said...I checked out the flora editor and it has potential...I would love to see my worlds populated with player created plant life and even worlds created by players (anyone notice that the in game sporpedia page has a creator name on planets?)

-Bookmarks that I can leave for planets that I might want to return to with the ability to add notes like some others have said.

-Ability to stack lower level parts for higher stats. Like others have said make the equivalent cost of 5 lvl 1s the same as 1 lvl 5 so you dont have people trying to exploit but still add lots more creativity.

-Ability to buy fleet ships from your own planets so if I dont want alliances with anyone I can still cruise around with a full team.

-More variety in the vehicles. Instead of having just one ground, one sea, and one air for each archetype how about have different ones for different vehicles? I can think of a lot of changes to the vehicle game...will make it more RTS style so will probably never happen but it would make me happy. First...have a limited range on aircraft...I feel that the aircraft are completely unbalanced. Have say an aircraft carrier that can transport planes across oceans. On that same line a ground troop carrier that can take my tanks or what have you to other continents. Then allow infantry, tanks, artillery, etc.

-In space allow me to INVADE a planet...let me bring my ground vehicles to take over cities instead of just shooting up the city and allow my own character to beam down to a planet and walk around the cities and such. I would love to walk around watching the citizens doing their thing.

-Allow defence fleets in on my colonies.

-Allow me to change/destroy my homeworld. If my world gets destroyed by an enemy or an eco disaster I should have to set up a new one.

-When colonies have been established and optimized on a T3 planet for long enough, allow me to convert them to cities and have more so it would be like another home world.

-everything everyone has said about creature phase...make creatures act more like animals!

-If I abduct a sentient creature and put them on a planet at the very least have them revert to creature phase on the other planet. It would be cool if they created tribes/cities based on their tech and such as well though.

-Last one that I havent seen mentioned is allow the research and development of wormhole tech. Say I find an amazing area but its on the complete other side of the galaxy...I want to be able to create a wormhole that can connect say my home world with the area. Make it a very hard tech to get but it would be awesome if it was in there. Would also allow for greater exploration for NON shaman characters.

Offline Elyas

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2008, 11:26:54 am »
Something that I would like instead of Sporecast would be Buddy Groups.  These could be groups that contain a list of "buddies" that they can share on sporepedia so other people can use it.

Someone here on Gaming Steve (I forgot who) has a long list of buddies from Gaming Steve.  It would be nice if they could just put everyone in the group and say "Go here for everyone on Gaming Steve".

Offline Ittiz

• Wizard of Wor
  • Horned Hopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2008, 11:45:08 am »
2. Finish and polish the flora editor then release it.

This would probably be the first thing on my list.  We can mod animals, but not plants?  Even if just a tool at Space that lets you mod plants through genetic engineering.

Yeah maybe a plant tweaker tool, just like the creature tweaker.  

As for other suggestions:

Cell Stage:
   1: Allow pollination of cell creatures. (already mention)
   2: I'm not sure if plants in cell stage are hard coded, but it would be nice if we could design them too.  Not sure exactly how, maybe some kind of microbiology tool in the space stage.
   3: Make the cell editor available through other means besides command prompt and editing your cell during the stage, again maybe in space phase as a tool.
   4: Allowing your cells to acquire internal as well as external parts.  Like chloroplasts for instance, which would have a bearing on your creature's future like maybe not getting hungry during daylight hours.
Creature Stage:
   1: Water creatures! (already mention)
   2: The ability for creatures with certain foot and hand types to climb trees and steep inclines.
   3: Having other senses besides eyesight be beneficial. Like smell and hearing.  So a creature with no ears wouldn't hear anything. This wouldn't have any effect on the creature itself it would have an effect on the player being able to hear the noises of other creatures during game play. Just like if you have no eyes.  Although this could have an effect on Tribe stage because music is used during that stage to impress other villages.  Maybe dances could be incorporated as well to work around this.
   4: Senses having varying degrees of effectiveness.  So if you use a cheap compound eye everything is blocky.  Or if you use a good night vision eye the night time is brighter.  Also players could see more or less color depending on the eye as well, giving them more or less advantage.  An example of the well know game that used stuff like this is Everquest.  The people who played Elves could see in the dark very well compared to those who played Humans.  These things probably wouldn't carry past Tribe stage since by the Civ stage it can be assumed the race would have the technology to compensate for their short comings.
   5: Would be nice if there was a motive system like in the sims.  Right now the only motive is hunger.
   6: A wider range of sizes for creatures, I made some creatures that were quite large (Tortunged and Tortenged Longbow) yet in the game they are scaled down to be like all the others.
   7: Differences between males and females!
   8: The ability to have live birth.  It must be interesting to watch the human like races lay eggs.
Trible Stage:
   1: Probably not easy to implement because the design of the game, but more buildings and tribesman types.  
   2: I think the design of village (and city) is quite limiting to the game play.  It borrows some ideas from Populous and Sim City, but isn't nearly deep or complex enough.  I think the villages need to be more loose and flexible, like Populous and Black and White.
   3: More tribe stats, for you own tribe and for other known tribes.
   4: Husbandry!  Maybe some creature you domesticate can be used like horses.  Although this would add a whole new aspect to the animation headaches.
   5: Tribal boats, humans have had boats since they were nomads!
   6: As per suggestion #3 from Creature stage, allow there to be dancing as a way to impress other tribes.
   7: Separate clothing for men and women, as per suggestion #7 in Creature Stage.
Civ Stage:
   1: Ability to see your relationship with single city civs in the same detail you can see with the multi city civs.
   2: More stats for you civ and others.
   3: More intricate economy system.  Something like the game 1701 AD (aka Anno 1701), that game had a beautifully intricate economy and great city  options too.
   4: More commodities (per the previous suggestion).  They should need food, water, wood, metal, ect... ect...
   5: A greater variety of vehicles, just one of each type is pretty boring.
Space Stage:
   1: More time in interplanetary phase, right now you get you Interstellar drive in the first mission.  It would be fun if you had to colonize your system first, almost like a mini stage.  It would also give a better step to the rest of the space stage because right now you get plunged into the space stage without being able to build resources first.  This would allow you to grow in strength before moving on.
   2: More empire stats (already mentioned).
   3: The ability to "land" on Gas giants.  Obviously the gas giants would have no ground but just a point where you ship would be crushed by the pressure.  Would be good if you were running from an enemies and your hull was stronger than their's, you could go deep into the planet's atmosphere where they would get crushed.
   4: Also per the previous suggestion being able to make floating cities in Gas Giants (ala Star Wars) after you obtain the right tech.
   5: Per the two previous suggestions, being able to terraform a Gas Giant.  It would obviously be much harder because of their size.  Also special engineered plants would be required, and flying animals only of course.  Another possibility is special artificial platforms.  There would be no naturally occurring living gas giants since the probability of the is slow low.
   6: More planet and moon varieties!  Right now all hot planets are lava planets, there should be Venus like and Mercury like planets too.  Also Ice moons and planets as well right now all icy bodies are either completely rock exterior or partial rock exterior.  There should be places like Europa.
   7: As per the previous suggestion and also suggestion #1 of the Creature stage, people should be able to find, colonize and terraform Ice moons.  So you could have an underwater cities under the ice.  It would also be neat that if someone chose to be a water creature, that they could start under the ice on an ice planet/moon.
   8: The ability to have a more third-person perspective in the space stage, kind of like civ stage.  So normally you are centered around your ship, but you can switch you view to any planet that has one of your colonies on it in order to defend it or work on it.
   9: Automated fleets to protect your cities (Already mentioned)
  10: More commodities, again just havening a few types of spice, non of which have any real uses isn't exciting.

probably more later...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 12:25:02 pm by Ittiz »

Offline Bonemouse

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2008, 01:06:22 pm »
Mostly from a content creation and content aggregation standpoint:

1. "Test Drive Mode" in Early Creature Editor.

2. A lesser "Test Drive Mode" for the vehicle, building and UFO editors. Basically a way to change the background to transparent and save screenshots more easily.

3. The ability to load different vehicle and building types in different editors. For example, loading a military land vehicle in the religious land vehicle editor and have it just remove the "military parts."

4. More reliable synchronization between the web based Sporepedia and the one in game.

5. The ability to thumb up/down and add a piece of content to a Sporecast while playing.

ETA:

6. The ability to delete content from within the game without "banning" it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 01:19:02 pm by Bonemouse »

Offline spiritofcat

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Ta-da!
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2008, 06:08:49 pm »
Something that I would like instead of Sporecast would be Buddy Groups.  These could be groups that contain a list of "buddies" that they can share on sporepedia so other people can use it.

Someone here on Gaming Steve (I forgot who) has a long list of buddies from Gaming Steve.  It would be nice if they could just put everyone in the group and say "Go here for everyone on Gaming Steve".
That was probably me :)
I agree. I would love to be able to group my buddies, and then select a group of buddies as a theme when I start a game.
Currently I can only select and individual buddy, an individual sporecast, or my own creations as a theme.
I mainly just select my own creations as my theme, but since I haven't made enough stuff to populate a whole game I end up mostly with content from my buddy list. At least I don't get so much Maxis stuff.

3. The ability to load different vehicle and building types in different editors. For example, loading a military land vehicle in the religious land vehicle editor and have it just remove the "military parts."
Yes! I really want to see that too. Same for buildings. Let me import the basic architecture of a house into the entertainment editor and just remove the "house only" parts.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 06:11:05 pm by spiritofcat »

Offline Ondaderthad

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • Area32 - Westgate Builders
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2008, 08:53:57 pm »
I'd like to be able to provide a whole space faring civilization as a package for other people to pick up.  When I build all the vehicles for all types of city, a space vehicle, all the buildings, and sculpt the planet they are on, they are all thematically linked by style and color and it just doesn't really work for someone to get just the economic land vehicle randomly in their game... nor me get theirs in mine.

That's what Sporecasts are for.

I always make an idea in my head and then make that creature while playing in game so i never have that problem i never go for stats period. So doing that would greatly lower the difficulty for the creature stage for me. And people still make awesome creatures from what i have seen. Whats more people can jump straight in to the creature creator by itself to make awesome creatures if they want. So i can't really agree with that suggestion.

Just my opinion.

Sorry but the reason we get mostly similar looking creatures while playing is because most other people go for the stats.  And creatures created in the creator (not while playing) are not suitable for pollination.

Offline spiritofcat

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Ta-da!
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2008, 09:26:10 pm »
I'd like to be able to provide a whole space faring civilization as a package for other people to pick up.  When I build all the vehicles for all types of city, a space vehicle, all the buildings, and sculpt the planet they are on, they are all thematically linked by style and color and it just doesn't really work for someone to get just the economic land vehicle randomly in their game... nor me get theirs in mine.

I always make an idea in my head and then make that creature while playing in game so i never have that problem i never go for stats period. So doing that would greatly lower the difficulty for the creature stage for me. And people still make awesome creatures from what i have seen. Whats more people can jump straight in to the creature creator by itself to make awesome creatures if they want. So i can't really agree with that suggestion.

Just my opinion.

Sorry but the reason we get mostly similar looking creatures while playing is because most other people go for the stats.  And creatures created in the creator (not while playing) are not suitable for pollination.

But you can only choose one sporecast as a theme when starting a game. There needs to be a way of tying creations together into coherent themes and being able to have a game wse multiple 'tied-together theme packs'.

Why are creatures created in the creator (not while playing) not suitable for pollination?
As long as you build only for looks and not for stats you should end up creating creatures with a variety of different stats, making them suitable for pollinating a variety of slots in the creature game.

Offline Pietoro

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2008, 11:57:43 pm »
There needs to be adjustments made to how the Communication Screen in Space centers on creatures with long trunks with a mouth on the end. The camera attempts to keep the mouth perfectly centered in the middle of the picture, but if its on a long trunk, it will often cut off top of the creature while leaving a big empty area on the bottom of the screen. Instead of only tracking where the mouth is, it should also attempt to avoid leaving large empty areas of the screen and cutting out parts of the creature's body.

I found it impossible to make a working Space version of this creature, regardless of how short I made the legs and how contracted I made the trunk, because it would consistently end up cutting off the top of the creature's body in the screen. All that would be needed would be to scootch the camera down a bit, and the entire body would've fit just fine into the picture, but the mouth placement just kept throwing it off. I have a similar issue with this creature as well.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 12:02:16 am by Pietoro »
"Ooh rabba la dee teeb, ooh babba labba squeeb!"

Offline Crowster

• Defender Devotee
  • It's Crow-Time, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • The Adventures of Crow-Man
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2008, 12:18:29 am »
6. The ability to delete content from within the game without "banning" it.

I know that this is already possible. I go through my Sporepedia on a regular basis deleting all buildings and vehicles that are not painted. I just go to the everything tab, select the card I want to delete, and hit the trashcan icon. >_>

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2008, 12:30:04 am »
I don't think anybody has mentioned the cost of parts in Creature stage.

Remember the wonderful detailed creatures BEFORE the game was released?

People were making some really nice creatures with multiple parts (turtle shell, lots of eyes, etc..)

But now.. Most creatures are just look-alikes. No creativity anymore because we have to go for the Stats and not the looks.

Parts abilities (charm, spit, etc.. ) don't stack and there is always a shortage of DNA points.

I would like to see the cost of a second set of parts to be either free or at least much cheaper.

If I want 7 sets of eyes, I pay for the first and the others are just for decoration.

you can always use the addDNA cheat to allow for more parts. There is less room complexity wise though.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2008, 01:07:35 am »

Just my opinion.

Most of the creatures i made i have made in the creature creator while not playing. All of them are suitable for pollination. They have all shown up in the creature stage. Where do you get your info? because its false. The ones not suitable for pollination is rare and they have a red DNA symbol on the sporepedia card.

And i honestly don't see this simler looking creature trend that you see. I see pre evolutions of creatures but they all look good.

Offline SiestaGuru

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2008, 01:18:01 am »
Ive posted loads of suggestions on other threads and cant be bothered to go repeat them every time someone makes a new suggestion thread  ;)

I did come up with a new suggestion: In the military aircraft editor there arent really any weapons that aircraft would use, aircraft use missles and bombs, maybe machine guns but they dont use gun turrets. The sea vehicle weapons would be much more fitting for aircraft.
My best stuff: http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=st-sc%3Assc-500079691379

Random stuff: http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-SiestaGuru|2263001209%3Assc-500036839043%3Aview-top_rated

Aircraft: http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-SiestaGuru|2263001209%3Assc-500020463820%3Aview-top_rated

Offline Gzillafan1

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2008, 02:08:07 am »
I would love

1) A wider variety of starting worlds.I don't know about you guys but Im sort of tired of evolving on the perfect little word.Where's the harshness? I would love to be able to start on a barren desert world or humid,rainy,swamp world.I know T-score would be a problem here but mabye something can be worked out.

2) Planets with more than one moon.I was hoping this was in the game but its not.I dont know how hard it would be but it would be cool.I just think the planet would feel more alien if it had many moons.

3) Prey running away from predator.I see it in the cell stage but after that It stops....why? It would feel more realistic and fun to chase down my prey.

Offline spiritofcat

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Ta-da!
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2008, 07:58:23 am »
There needs to be adjustments made to how the Communication Screen in Space centers on creatures with long trunks with a mouth on the end. The camera attempts to keep the mouth perfectly centered in the middle of the picture, but if its on a long trunk, it will often cut off top of the creature while leaving a big empty area on the bottom of the screen. Instead of only tracking where the mouth is, it should also attempt to avoid leaving large empty areas of the screen and cutting out parts of the creature's body.

I found it impossible to make a working Space version of this creature, regardless of how short I made the legs and how contracted I made the trunk, because it would consistently end up cutting off the top of the creature's body in the screen. All that would be needed would be to scootch the camera down a bit, and the entire body would've fit just fine into the picture, but the mouth placement just kept throwing it off. I have a similar issue with this creature as well.
What happens if you put a second mouth on the top of the creature?
I know that isn't a perfect solution, but it might be worth doing if it forces the camera to try to get both mouths on screen.

Offline nightk

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2008, 08:37:09 am »
An turret editor.
Like the vehicle creator but only balacing between attack force and hit points.

More food options for creature phase like smaller fruits,leaves,fish,algae(i don't know why i want this)

Make the creature phase look a bit more like real life.