Author Topic: The Valid Suggestion Thread For Maxis  (Read 134002 times)

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
Re: The Valid Suggestion Thread For Maxis
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 11:42:11 am »
For Space

- Allow for the renaming of controlled planets/stars
- Allow for a 'landing craft' rather than a hologram. I'd rather fly a small shuttle or drive a little tank across the planetscape than stare at my holographic butt all the time.
- Add a toggle key to switch between mini-map and the terraform/lifechart thingy. I find it annoying to grab the abduction beam and loose the mini-map view.
- Allow a graphic option to turn off the green circle trail on the UFO, when I already have rockets leaving a trail, I don't need those as well.
-Allow for a reduction in the graphics on the Uber Cannon, it can be a frame-rate killer
-Add a toggle so that other UFOs in formation will fly above you so that firing weapons/abduction beam at ground targets is not interupted.
-Add a feature that says 'always use this house/entertainment/factory' when building a colony.
-Add the ability to sort your cargo bay.
-Add the ability to see your whole cargo bay (double the height of the window)
-Display note/tone value numbers in the music editor so we can tune music easier
-Add a toggle to only abduct one item at a time.(where the hell did all these trees come from?)
-Increase the draw range on 'visited stars' square box icons. Right now you don't see even nearby stars unless you jump in their general direction.
-Disallow the same species name to exist in the same area at once. I was once Allied with the Birdy race and at war with a Birdy race, right next to each other.

-Lego
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 11:44:55 am by Legodragonxp »

Offline Crowster

• Defender Devotee
  • It's Crow-Time, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • The Adventures of Crow-Man
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 11:44:49 am »
1. I'd like more galaxies. >_> I mean, sure, filling the one up would be an insane amount of work, but to be fair, filling up a custom Sims 2 neighborhood would also be an insane amount of work, and yet I made new ones all the time. A galaxy selector would really be appreciated. Maybe you could even click on the galaxies in the background to reach 'em. Just a thought.

2. Of course flora editor, but when that's added I really hope they give us some space phase tools to create them, like the space phase creature editing we have now. That coupled with the creature editing/creation and the terraforming, a higher level race could, more or less, create any world they wanted out of any barren rock they happened to find.

3. I want to be able to boot a ready made creature into creature game. Once we've beaten it, we should have the option to NOT start from a simple cell creature, but rather something we've already created with the creature creator. If there is a way to do this, I'd love to hear it, but I haven't been able to figure it out. =/ Check! Wow, that was fast.  ;D

4. I'd also like to be able to start a cell or creature game from a planet that another race terraformed. Like, maybe a high end tool could tag a designated planet and allow you to start a new game on that planet from the galaxy menu. I want to play creature game on the moon of a gas giant, or in a twin star system. In creature stage, I want to be able to look into the sky and see something completely amazing like that. The tool would probably have to be set to only work on T3 planets, and there would probably be some other limitations, but I can live with that.

5. One more small change that I've been dying to ask for. In the vehicle and building editors, would it be possible to randomize the default color of the blocks? It seems a lot of people will just build, save, and upload without painting, and I'm getting tired of seeing a really nice looking UFO with the default shiny white paint. Just randomize the default color, and maybe default texture so that un-painted buildings and vehicles have some variety. You know, similar to what they did with the creature creator's default body shape.

EDIT: Edited with numbers to make it a bit easier to read.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 09:22:30 pm by Crowster »

Offline Branko

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 11:48:34 am »

3. Have a proper beam down function so you can explore worlds in third person like in the creature phase. You could be armed and armoured for this. This would make interaction on alien worlds more fun and immediate.

I like this idea.

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 11:53:30 am »
The biggest thing I dislike is having to click and drag buildings OVER AND OVER AND OVER when deploying a colony.  I want the ability to save a colony blueprint, which automatically places buildings and turrets where you like them, as long as you have the cash to do it. 

In the same token, perhaps having different placement layouts for colonies.  There's only one real optimal layout for colonies right now, and I always use it, which is the reason for wanting automatic placement.  Having several different, or even random layouts would make the player have to think about placing buildings in each colony. 

So, either have an automatic building placement button, or take away some of the tediousness of building.  Perhaps having a hot key to keep placing buildings without having to drag from the tool bar every time.  Such as holding shift to place another of that same object in The Sims. 

And also, I agree with cargo hold sorting, or the ability to drag the objects to different slots.

Offline whistlinjoe

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 07:06:07 pm »
The biggest thing I dislike is having to click and drag buildings OVER AND OVER AND OVER when deploying a colony.  I want the ability to save a colony blueprint, which automatically places buildings and turrets where you like them, as long as you have the cash to do it. 

In the same token, perhaps having different placement layouts for colonies.  There's only one real optimal layout for colonies right now, and I always use it, which is the reason for wanting automatic placement.  Having several different, or even random layouts would make the player have to think about placing buildings in each colony. 

So, either have an automatic building placement button, or take away some of the tediousness of building.  Perhaps having a hot key to keep placing buildings without having to drag from the tool bar every time.  Such as holding shift to place another of that same object in The Sims. 

And also, I agree with cargo hold sorting, or the ability to drag the objects to different slots.

Oh, those are nice.  I would love to have both of these.

Offline Robertbobby91

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • Don't forget to vote.
    • View Profile
    • If silence is golden, then my house is pyrite
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 07:17:51 pm »
no recharge on planet shapes. And more tools.

And a use for holograms.
Visit my blog: http://robertbobby91.blogspot.com/

SAT: Critical Reading: 680 Math: 720,  Writing: 690,  essay: 12
WOOT! 2090 TOTAL!!!!

Offline Bellum

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 09:03:36 pm »
Also, I'd like to be able to ban creatures without reporting them. Sometimes I'm really just not fond of a creature, but there isn't anything wrong with it.

Offline spiritofcat

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Ta-da!
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 09:55:50 pm »
This is a really simple one, but it irritates me a lot.
In the in-game My Spore Page, and in the web-based Profile page, the Comments section displays recent comments that have been made on your creations and have a link to the user who made the comment, but no link to the creation itself!
The web-based version is the worst. It doesn't even tell you which creation was commented on.
The in-game one at least has the name of the creation, it's just not a link.

On the editing version of your web-based profile page it shows a picture of the creation that an as-yet un-approved comment is on, but still no link.
On the public version of your web-based profile page it only shows the comment and a link to the user that made it. There is no indication of what creation the comment is on!

I'd really like it if all the different places where comments are shown had both a picture and a link to the creation.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 10:23:39 pm by spiritofcat »

Offline Arachoid

• Tempest Top Dog
  • A new musical revelation...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2008, 10:58:57 pm »
'Aight. I got a few to add.

1) The flora editor. There isn't much to say here that hasn't already been said. Just caulk up the holes in the secret flora editor everyone knows about, throw in a few more parts, slap a Maxis-brand clever name on it, and sell it to me in Space.

2) Friendly fleets. I mean really, the ability to station fleets on planets would just pwn. They could take care of biodisasters on my tutorial colony while I'm on the other end of the galaxy, and defend the motherland from pirates while I'm away on a crusade. Plus the fact that everyone else, even those my empire could (literally, in respect to the Vopa) eat for breakfast, has about fifty kajillion ships flyin' about, while I have to be all by my lonesome.

3) Make planet sculpts always take. Have you any idea how frustrating it is making a really delicate world of isthmuses, only to zoom out and have all that work ruined?! That's, like, an hour of my life, gone, right there!

4) Commando squads. Heavily armed and armored conquistadors ready and willing to be beamed down to a planet and pwn anything in their way. The hologram is cool, and it would still have its place. Whereas the hologram is for scouting, the commandos are for less dainty pursuits.

5) Galactic bookmarks. You can bookmark any planet or phenomena anywhere, and keep as many as you want. Maybe even attach notes to the bookmarks, like, "Don't forget to get the herbivores for T2!" or "Good spot for colony." Little reminders like that would be such a time saver.

6) Planet Creator. Not what your thinking! Essentially, it plops you down in a limited Space Phase, where you have a UFO with all the terraforming tools and a single giant planet to terraform as you like, all changes taking hold. You can also summon an infinite number of creatures and plants from the Sporepedia for placement there. Then you can save the planet and upload it for sharing. It would be just like zooming over to a T0 and terraforming like in Space, but without any worries about an empire or anything. I always thought terraforming was... Relaxing. But when I have to go defeat some pirates fifty jumps away, it breaks it.

7) Reasonable neighbor placement. Many a time have I gotten to space only to find that all five nearby empires want me dead just for stepping in their territory on my first time out of my solar system. That quite a good bit of my time spent, going from cell to space, only to be wiped out again and again thanks to my demon-spawn neighbors.

8) Hand walking. And wing walking. Like gorillas and bats, respectively. That would be a pile of pwn.

9) A button in the creature creator to prevent limbs from bonding together. Like when you stretch a limb out and move it just so into the perfect position, then move the camera and it ends up wrapped around your beastie's leg (and yes, that was a Beastie Boys reference, not a misspelling).

10) More tools. Just over time, in patches. You could do like WoW, and have free content patches alongside expansions, and you could add stuff packs of parts. Apparently those Blizzard guys are rollin' in the dough about now, so it seems pretty successful.
I say NO! to all limits.
Unfortunately, I don't think we're far enough into the Civ stage to have deveoped into the 'Infinite-ghz processing' research tree yet...

Offline Ondaderthad

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • Area32 - Westgate Builders
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2008, 02:55:36 am »
I don't think anybody has mentioned the cost of parts in Creature stage.

Remember the wonderful detailed creatures BEFORE the game was released?

People were making some really nice creatures with multiple parts (turtle shell, lots of eyes, etc..)

But now.. Most creatures are just look-alikes. No creativity anymore because we have to go for the Stats and not the looks.

Parts abilities (charm, spit, etc.. ) don't stack and there is always a shortage of DNA points.

I would like to see the cost of a second set of parts to be either free or at least much cheaper.

If I want 7 sets of eyes, I pay for the first and the others are just for decoration.

Offline spiritofcat

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Ta-da!
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2008, 03:43:00 am »

People were making some really nice creatures with multiple parts (turtle shell, lots of eyes, etc..)

But now.. Most creatures are just look-alikes. No creativity anymore because we have to go for the Stats and not the looks.

Parts abilities (charm, spit, etc.. ) don't stack and there is always a shortage of DNA points.

I would like to see the cost of a second set of parts to be either free or at least much cheaper.

If I want 7 sets of eyes, I pay for the first and the others are just for decoration.

Yes, I agree. Maybe not for legs and arms, but all the detail parts should be free after the first one. The Complexity Meter will still stop people from making creatures with too much stuff on them, but at least this way the DNA points are only spent on making your creature better in terms of stats.

Offline Crowster

• Defender Devotee
  • It's Crow-Time, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • The Adventures of Crow-Man
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2008, 07:51:28 am »
Maybe not free, but at a greatly reduced cost I could definitely get behind.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2008, 08:05:27 am »
On the note of fancy creatures. parts should be allowed to be added as dummy parts. Say for half cost I can add a horn that provides no stats but allows for creativity. Call it camouflage.

-Lego

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2008, 08:10:15 am »

I always make an idea in my head and then make that creature while playing in game so i never have that problem i never go for stats period. So doing that would greatly lower the difficulty for the creature stage for me. And people still make awesome creatures from what i have seen. Whats more people can jump straight in to the creature creator by itself to make awesome creatures if they want. So i can't really agree with that suggestion.

Just my opinion.

Offline Telluric

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2008, 08:15:53 am »
I'd like to be able to provide a whole space faring civilization as a package for other people to pick up.  When I build all the vehicles for all types of city, a space vehicle, all the buildings, and sculpt the planet they are on, they are all thematically linked by style and color and it just doesn't really work for someone to get just the economic land vehicle randomly in their game... nor me get theirs in mine.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little." - George Carlin