Author Topic: The Valid Suggestion Thread For Maxis  (Read 132029 times)

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
The Valid Suggestion Thread For Maxis
« on: September 18, 2008, 08:42:21 am »
For the most part the huge wave of negativity seems to of subsided and most people seem to be enjoying spore. I wanted to make a valid suggestion thread for the Maxis team to read, Its better then everyone spamming them with PMs, Emails, And bugging Lucky whenever she enters a thread.  ;D.

The unofficial rules for this thread is as follows.

1: No complaints or whining that Spore does not have a feature.

2: Do not suggest bug fixes as there are already places to do that.

3: Only make valid suggestions that could be realistically implemented in the current iteration of Spore as a patch, update, or expansion.

Ill Start, They are in no particular order of what i would like to see most.

1:Creatures acting more like creatures in the creature stage:
I would like to see the creatures behave more like animals. Like foraging food and hunting or roaming and grazing in herds. Some should be in packs herds or flocks and some should be solitary. I am Aware that they do act like this sometimes.

2:Thirst Meter: I would like to see a thirst meter implemented so your creature would have to drink water. Whats more i would like both the hunger meter and a thirst meter applied to all CPU controlled creatures in the creature stage but at a decreased rate.

3:Claw attack for some feet: I would like to see a few feet parts support a claw attack like a lion or bear would do.

4:Other players Cells: I would like to see other players cell appear in the cell stage.

5:CPU consequence powers: On the Normal and Hard difficulty's i would like to see the CPU tribes and and Civs use the consequence powers excluding the take over all city's powers.

6: Auto defenses or Friendly AI controlled space craft for planets and colenys: While you can already take a fleet in to battle on the offense it would be nice to have friendly space craft to protect your planets like your allies and enemy's do.

You have already done a great job Maxis i am in love with the game  ;D.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 08:45:45 am by Gorman Conall »

Offline spiritofcat

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Ta-da!
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
Re: The Valid Suggestion Thread For Maxis
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 08:46:35 am »
"Add to Sporecast" function accessable from each creation's sporepedia file rather than having to search it up again in the sporecast editing page.

Offline econundrum

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 09:02:16 am »
 1. For an Expansion add aquatic creatures back into the mix, not a seperate phase more as an expansion of the creature/tribe/Civ game.

e.g. Add gills and fins to creature creator this will allow players to make Aquatic/amphibious and land creatures and evolve their creatures habitat, obviously this would add complications to the nest system and 3D movement would need to be accomidated again.

You would also need to accomidate Terestrial, aquatic & amphibious creatures in later levels so certainly this could form the basis of a major spore expansion.

2. Finish and polish the flora editor then release it.

3. Have a proper beam down function so you can explore worlds in third person like in the creature phase. You could be armed and armoured for this. This would make interaction on alien worlds more fun and immediate.

4. Add an advanced asymetric toggle to the creature editor, we recognise this could cause problems in some animations but the mod proves players like the feature and can always test drive the creature to check the animation.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 09:04:30 am by econundrum »
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations."

David Friedman.

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/econundrum

Offline Parkaboy

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 09:05:53 am »
1:Creatures acting more like creatures in the creature stage:
I would like to see the creatures behave more like animals.

I second this. Perhaps make a "territory" feature for carnivores, making them a bigger threat (I feel that you usually just have to fear epics, not predators). And so the player could have a mission card to claim a territory for his/her creature, having to chase out rivals, etc.

On the herbivore side we could have "herds", wich wouldn't be like packs; just a large number of creatures that would migrate or search for food together.

Offline Telluric

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 09:21:34 am »
2. Finish and polish the flora editor then release it.

This would probably be the first thing on my list.  We can mod animals, but not plants?  Even if just a tool at Space that lets you mod plants through genetic engineering.

More "mission" based game play at all stages - at Cell, find different structures floating or defeat number of predatory enemies or achieve certain swim speed.  At Creature, explore features of the world, collecting them, hunt for objects and return them to the nest, adopt and raise a baby creature of another type.  At Tribal, build some structures, such as an idol to a god, a training ground for warriors, or a trading post.  Domesticate crops as well as animals.  Interact with aliens who visit your planet.  At Civilization, discover various technologies beyond flight, perhaps power stations (steam, oil, solar, etc).  Deal with large scale disasters like earthquakes or volcanoes.

Ideally, all additional mission based content is optional - things to engage in while playing through the stage that unlock achievements, not just advance you to the next stage.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little." - George Carlin

Offline Bellum

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 09:24:26 am »
Spore's strongest point is it's details, and there are a few I'd like added in the future.

City trade: In space stage, I'd like to see cities and colonies trading with each other. Perhaps add a 'civilian vehicle' editor where you can choose between land, air, and (if applicable) sea trade. Doesn't necessarily need to have a gameplay effect, but planets would seem more alive if there was more traffic.

Defense/disasters: I'd like to see planets that can take care of themselves. In the beginning, the occasional eco disaster/pirate raid is sensible, but as your empire grows, developed colonies should be able to deal with these problems themselves. That way you can concentrate on more important things, like exploring or fighting wars. Also, government vehicles in the planet view (as opposed to civilian vehicles if the above is implemented) should aid in the defense of planets instead of standing around doing nothing as they currently do.

Creatures: Animals should act more like animals, especially in the space stage. As it is, if you get any reaction at all, it's them running from you're ship in terror. Otherwise they just kind of mill around. Perhaps add a stealth button or something, and give the creatures behavior more attention. This isn't like SC4 where the creatures don't really matter and are really just an added visual bonus. These creatures are an important part of the game, and they deserve that extra mile.

Empire Info: As it is, it's kind of hard to keep up with your empire. I'd like to be able to access more data. Say a menu with a list of all your colonies and a few statistics to give a rough idea of how developed they are. In the same menu, colonies could have an 'auto travel' button, and the auto travel system should be able to use wormholes you've used already.

Offline Telluric

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 09:28:51 am »
Empire Info: As it is, it's kind of hard to keep up with your empire.

Oh heck yeah!  I need high level information on my empire, like who is producing how much of what how fast (so I can know when to collect but also who to improve) and who lives on what level of what type of world (so I can prioritize my terraforming).
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little." - George Carlin

Offline Parkaboy

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 09:33:49 am »
For the Civ and Space Stage:

I'd like to see the option to build wonders. Perhaps one per planet, with a variation of the building editor for making them, and parts that give special bonus, such as more happiness, better defense or spice production.

The wonder editor could also have a feature where you capture a model of your creature to make a statue of sorts.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 09:50:43 am »
All I need is a few bug fixes, and self-populaing planets, and I'll be happy. ;D
the real saviour of this forum

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 09:56:14 am »
I agree with the colonies bieng able to defend themselves. While its understandable that new colonies are pretty much defenseless (except for a few turrets), so maybe its something that you would have to earn. I know there is that Uber Turret, but I haven't gone far enough in the game to see it in action or how effective it is.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 10:07:02 am »
Plumping, details, high-end machines, and you! :
Spore is a great game, and barring a few overposted tweaks, there is only one thing that really strikes me. Even mid-rage machines seem to be able to run this game on max detail with absolutely no graphical lag whatsoever. It would be nice if there were some extra graphical options to toggle on/off or through detail levels. One particular thing that I can think of, is the 'plumping'. You know, when at a long distance, some things appear larger than they are, so you can spot them. Well, i've noticed that vehicles and buildings, in-game, dont display any of their effects, such as roving fog-beams, blinking lights or smoke trails, unless you zoom your camera so far in that it is practically mashed against the unit in question. Needless to say, this makes the game unplayable. Higher end machines should be able to view such details at far greater distances, given much of the post-tribal stage is viewed from a far distance away.

Terrasculpting, and new games :
I think I speak for a lot of people, when I ask that we can designate planets we terraformed, so that they appear on the main screen, so we can start a new game on them. I understand there are issues here, like having a good-sized landmass to support enough creatures, and being careful of the ground gradients (as something that looks very gentle from a UFO, can be deceptively punishing on the ground level). Though it would be REALLY interesting for me, to see how a game might play out on say... an archipelago planet... or one with plenty of steppe-like mesas with winged creatures on. Im sure there are plenty of other people who wanted to try their hand at surviving an incredibly harsh magma-planet, having to run quickly across certain patches of land or get blasted by scalding steam, find ways to navigate lava lakes, having to run like hell if a volcano erupts, all whilst trying desperately to scavenge for food if you're a herbivore, or if a carnivore, having to put up with the constant high degree of competition. I dunno...

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 10:09:33 am »
That second one i fully agree with Uroboros i can't believe i never thought of that!.

Who wouldn't want to evolve on a planet they terraformed and/or sculpted!!?

Offline whistlinjoe

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 10:40:34 am »
Empire Info: As it is, it's kind of hard to keep up with your empire.

Oh heck yeah!  I need high level information on my empire, like who is producing how much of what how fast (so I can know when to collect but also who to improve) and who lives on what level of what type of world (so I can prioritize my terraforming).

Agreed.  This would be extremely nice. The data is already there, it just needs to be presented.

Most of these have already been mentioned by others but I like to hear myself type:

• Deployable ground units in space mode: I'd like to be able to interact more with other species colonies in the space game.  Perhaps allow commando units/insurgent units/spec ops units to win the 'hearts and minds' of other species covertly.  This could be an alternative way of conquering systems besides a trade route or a bombing run.
  • Configurable, automated planetary defense systems: This is the only gripe I have about the game.  I hate being two BH jumps away from a colony, totally absorbed in exploring a new section of the galaxy, only to have to hurry back and fix an environmental disaster.
  • Assymetry added as a standard option to ship and vehicle building: I can understand why creatures and things that must have procedurely generated animations would be difficult to support, but vehicles don't have many animations that I have seen.

Offline macweirdo42

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 10:50:52 am »
You've already got my primary issue - creatures not acting creature-like enough in the creature stage.  Yeah, they do occasionally, but not enough.  I think that itself, without adding any gameplay, would add a lot of depth to the creature stage.  Imagine being able to go around and just watch the creatures in their natural habitats.  What I want is part game, part nature show.  Especially for creatures I've designed, God, I could just spend hours watching my squidicles if they actually did something.

Offline jarnomiedema

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 11:05:23 am »
Different fleet possibility
I would really like it if the player had the ability to build its own fleet of warships. Right now the only way to get more than one UFO is to ask your allies for their help. It would be nice if people who don't like allies or want to go on a rampage on their own could build additional ships, perhaps selecting other models or building different ships; just so you don't need to rely on allies for additional firepower..

Automated trade / build orders
For those players who prefer not to actively engage in trade, it would be nice if there were more animations to show interaction between your empire and other empires; trade lanes and travelling ships, a steady income based on the development of your empire / colonies and the possibility to allow colonies to improve themselves without aid from the player. I find it a little strange that your UFO is the only spaceship your empire has made, whereas you're constantly attacked by either fleets of Grox ships, pirate ships or enemy ships.. I think it would be nice therefore if you can build your own fleet or automated defenders for your colonies?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 11:15:56 am by jarnomiedema »