Author Topic: The Valid Suggestion Thread For Maxis  (Read 156748 times)

Offline Arachoid

• Tempest Top Dog
  • A new musical revelation...
    • View Profile
Re: The Valid Suggestion Thread For Maxis
« Reply #360 on: January 03, 2009, 11:07:05 pm »
It'd be nice if we could flip a switch in the Creature Creator and tell it whether or not to weld limbs together. It's so annoying to be putting a set of arms near the body only to have this rubbery membrane stick them together along their length. Just look at my avatar; getting those arms in there was horrible! It took me ten minutes just to position them where they were sticking to the legs.

I say NO! to all limits.
Unfortunately, I don't think we're far enough into the Civ stage to have deveoped into the 'Infinite-ghz processing' research tree yet...

Offline Ichthyostega

• Rally-X Roadster
  • Behold! The fanhorn from the planet Snaiad.
    • View Profile
    • Ichthyostegland
« Reply #361 on: January 10, 2009, 10:06:48 am »
  • Gas bladders. If you live on a planet with a thick atmosphere, you can float with these. Or if you want to be an animal like the Portugese man-o'-war, you can float on the water and catch anything that moves by.
  • Bring back procedural animation!
  • Be able to walk into cities, because, why not?
Ichthyostega

Offline Grangan

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 10, 2009, 10:09:22 am »
  • Gas bladders. If you live on a planet with a thick atmosphere, you can float with these. Or if you want to be an animal like the Portugese man-o'-war, you can float on the water and catch anything that moves by.
Procedural animation is already in the game.  It's just that people assumed that the player would have control over it like Will did in GDC.  But Will is a programmer.  You are not.  Sorry.
Twas Brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe, all mimsy were the borogoves and the mome raths outgrabe.

Offline Ichthyostega

• Rally-X Roadster
    • View Profile
    • Ichthyostegland
« Reply #363 on: January 10, 2009, 11:35:48 am »
Procedural animation is already in the game.  It's just that people assumed that the player would have control over it like Will did in GDC.  But Will is a programmer.  You are not.  Sorry.

To be honest, I see nothing "procedural". It is no matter if you make an insect or a lizard, the procedural animation system only has one creature in mind, and that is a human. For instance, the body barely moves at all, especially not in a lizard. You see, lizards run in a side to side sprawling movent. Making a creature with a lizard-like gait, you will see that only the legs and the head move, the body dosent move much at all. Also, 'tail' isn't defined in the animations of your creature, as they are based on a creature who dosen't have a tail. Humans swing their arms as they walk. With the procedural animation system being anthropocentrically motivated, all creatures swing their arms as they walk, it doesn't matter if it is a Velociraptor (who probably kept its arms tucked in) or a terrestrial cephalopod-like creature, they all swing their arms, and frankly, it looks awkward.

Moving on, see:

The garoupa (the fishy animal) actually kicked his back legs off the ground and use his tail club to try to hit the screeble. You don't see that in the final game we got. Even though animations back then were not as fluid, they still acted and moved as if it were really the creature they were. As a matter of fact, I saw the screeble wrap his clawed limbs (which have no hands) around his mate while mating.

Without further ado, I will make more suggestions:

• Be able to fuse vertebrae in certain areas, so you can make a stiff creature, like a bird or a frog.
  • Have more variation between the planets you pick, because they all seem relatively uniform.
  • I'm not sure if I suggested this before, but I will make it either way. Buy certain abilities using DNA points.
Ichthyostega

Offline Grangan

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 10, 2009, 12:17:52 pm »
OK.  You know?  You just hit my weak spot.
I still like Spore as it is now, but... I want more now.
I want an interactive Walking with Dinosaurs.  Only not Walking with Dinosaurs.  Walking with *Your Name Here*.
I want realistic attacks, not stats.  I want herds, migration, but not mandatory migration.  I want sea life.  I don't want socialization for herbivores across species.  I want defending from predators.  And not on a realism, but style note, I want a narrator, a procedurally generated narrator, describing all of the biological techniques of the things around me.  I want it to select from the Sporepedia things that evolved from one another, I want procedural evolution if it doesn't have the next step.
ARGH!
I'm in denial no longer
Twas Brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe, all mimsy were the borogoves and the mome raths outgrabe.

Offline Kenobro

• Space Harrier
  • I am not a robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 10, 2009, 12:21:06 pm »
It'd be nice if we could flip a switch in the Creature Creator and tell it whether or not to weld limbs together. It's so annoying to be putting a set of arms near the body only to have this rubbery membrane stick them together along their length. Just look at my avatar; getting those arms in there was horrible! It took me ten minutes just to position them where they were sticking to the legs.

That is so annoying.  I agree entirely.  Though, with a better graphics Card,  it seems to be less noticeable.  And the exoskeleton limbs don't have the stretching effect.

Quote from: Grazony
Thanks Kenobro. :)

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 25, 2009, 05:43:49 pm »
the only thing that peeves me in creature, is the blandness of the planets :(
As i said, its just open and hilly.
but sometimes it still looks nice.
however it would be nice if places seemed more "cluttered"

this is a good shot of what i mean
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline Kenobro

• Space Harrier
  • I am not a robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 28, 2009, 11:37:51 am »
They never did show any jungles or forests in any demonstration really.

Quote from: Grazony
Thanks Kenobro. :)

Offline Vetro

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Behold Life.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 28, 2009, 01:44:23 pm »
The Cluttered look of that forest seems to be mostly from the hills on either side, without them it would still seem too open.
Anyways: I agree that having more dense forests would be a welcomed feature, and in places were the land is flat and open, it might be a good idea to allow to game to spawn a dense cover of small sized plants, which could work hand in hand with the "sneak" mechanic (something that few people use).

Plus: I never noticed how those mushroom plants had fruits under the "umbrella".
"The Finest ship in my estimation that has ever been built or ever will be"- Captain Bertram Hayes, RMS Olympic

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 02, 2009, 06:51:25 pm »
yes, i guess the hills to help out a lot.

i would have also liked to see actual sneak. now its "fade to invisibility" that's it.
it should be like that, but you can still be spotted, perhaps by creatures with more eyes or sensory organs. hiding in bushes would help it (this would call for cluttered environments seeing as there are few bushes tall enough grasses.)

of course none of this will happen, but i can dream...only dream :'(

other than that, everything Ictchyostega said on the last page about procedural animations; i agree 100%.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 02:32:17 pm by Skyward »
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 08, 2009, 10:51:43 am »
Allow us to RENAME our creations after the creature stage.
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 08, 2009, 11:03:14 am »
Let me choose which style of turret and wall I want.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline omegatripod

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Now a brony.
    • View Profile
    • Ask Joe Hoofer
« Reply #372 on: March 13, 2009, 11:36:35 am »
Let me delete Maxis-made creations. PLEASE, I BEG OF YOU!

Offline Ichthyostega

• Rally-X Roadster
    • View Profile
    • Ichthyostegland
« Reply #373 on: March 19, 2009, 01:50:39 pm »
  • Allow four different clothing styles for your species, for example: fancy, nerdy, punky, or robot-style. This will bring creativity to a greater extreme.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 02:47:37 pm by Ichthyostega »
Ichthyostega

Offline Ichthyostega

• Rally-X Roadster
    • View Profile
    • Ichthyostegland
« Reply #374 on: April 22, 2009, 02:44:30 pm »
Sorry for double posting, but...
  • With the bigger planets mod out, there should be planets varying in size to add more vairety to the space stage. For example, Gliese 436 b would be nearly the size of Neptune, while Mars would be a bit smaller than Earth.
Ichthyostega