Author Topic: The Valid Suggestion Thread For Maxis  (Read 166482 times)

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
Re: The Valid Suggestion Thread For Maxis
« Reply #345 on: November 28, 2008, 09:22:46 am »
Here is a wild idea.
How about a time acclerating tool, that when fired into a star, would cause it to go supernova.
It could also be fired into a Proto-Star, causing it to transform into a 'Real Star'.
There could also be a chance, that the Proto-Star could go supernova.
Whaddya think?
Quote from: Orc Creation Story.
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.
Jawless women and their fine, fine feet

Offline Ichthyostega

• Rally-X Roadster
  • Behold! The fanhorn from the planet Snaiad.
    • View Profile
    • Ichthyostegland
« Reply #346 on: November 28, 2008, 11:24:39 am »
That's a cool idea, but my desire to nitpick arises.

Not all stars supernova. Stars like our star, Sol, become a red giant and then become a less-violent planetary nebula, and then become a white dwarf. Massive stars, on the other hand live shorter lives, and turn into a supergiant and it goes supernova, and then turn into a neutron star or a deadly black hole.

Protostars cannot go supernova. They can either form into a shining new star or a brown dwarf (failed star).

Speaking of which, there should be a lot more celestial objects in the Space Stage.
Ichthyostega

Offline Vetro

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Behold Life.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 28, 2008, 07:02:54 pm »
It would be a good idea to make Nebula (non planetary) visitable, they could provide us with some awesome views (which the game already has but more could be added) as well as provide a testing ground for the development of some sort of solar system editor.

I would also like the ability to actually research technologies instead of buying them, as the game is currently set up it seems as if all the technology in the galaxy was made by some sort of ancient race that went extinct or transformed themselves into some sort of machine race (Grox?) and was passed down from civilization to civilization through buying and selling.

It would also be interesting to have different selectable galaxies (like the regions in sc4). Each one would be unique though, prehapes one would be a barbed spiral galaxy, another is irregularly shaped, another is two galaxies in mid merging, and maybe one is filled with nothing more advanced than you, not the Grox, not any other race, it's just you and a galaxy waiting for you to uplift.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 07:08:50 pm by Vetro »
"The Finest ship in my estimation that has ever been built or ever will be"- Captain Bertram Hayes, RMS Olympic

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 30, 2008, 06:00:04 am »
That's a cool idea, but my desire to nitpick arises.

Not all stars supernova. Stars like our star, Sol, become a red giant and then become a less-violent planetary nebula, and then become a white dwarf. Massive stars, on the other hand live shorter lives, and turn into a supergiant and it goes supernova, and then turn into a neutron star or a deadly black hole.

Protostars cannot go supernova. They can either form into a shining new star or a brown dwarf (failed star).

Speaking of which, there should be a lot more celestial objects in the Space Stage.

I agree, there should be stuff like neutron stars (aka pulsars), white dwarfs, perhaps bigger nebulae or different ones. I agree that there should be somewhat more of a variety with stars such as red giants and others.

Take this H-R Diagram as an example of what I'm talking about. Understandably they can't represent every spectral type because then the number of binary combinations would be huge. They have the main sequence well represented by the G and M type stars and the O class look like they would be more class B than O, but I'm nitpicking on that detail.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6b/HRDiagram.png

Also, one last thing, could you guys enable vehichle lights on buildings? There are so many possibilities there, not to mention they'd look cool for various buildings.

Offline Kenobro

• Space Harrier
  • I am not a robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 01, 2008, 12:43:44 pm »

Also, one last thing, could you guys enable vehichle lights on buildings? There are so many possibilities there, not to mention they'd look cool for various buildings.

Yes, please, why everything else?  But not buildings(and creatures, but that's another thing).

Also, the leg wheels on vehicles don't really work I've noticed.

Quote from: Grazony
Thanks Kenobro. :)

Offline Vetro

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Behold Life.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: December 05, 2008, 04:33:19 pm »
3-In space stage, once we reach a high enough rank, we should be able to go to a colony, and buy spaceships. They would cost around 3000 spore bucks, and depending on your rank, you could only have a certain number of them. They could prevent Eco-disasters, and provide protection for your colony's.
And, we can allow them to go to allied empire planets, so that they could do the same thing.

So these starships would be uncontrollable by the player? I think it might be a good idea to make a buyable deployable called the "shipyard" that can be bought and deployed on a planet, each would launch 3 ships that have the duty of safeguarding that solar system. IF there are any other planets under you control in that system they can travel there as well. But they do not have intersteller travel capabilities. The limit is 1 per planet, but one can be placed on each planet in a solar system which can effectively "stack" the number of defensive ships. Maybe both fleet ideas could be put into the game with the smaller, deployable launched ships being planetary defense ships while the ones that you buy are intersteller companion vessels that can be ordered to rush to your side in the event of an emergency. But if a fleet system is added it might make the game somewhat imbalanced since your fleet(s) could make it effectively impossible for an AI empire to take a system. They can barely do it now even if all that is guarding the planet is an uber turret.
"The Finest ship in my estimation that has ever been built or ever will be"- Captain Bertram Hayes, RMS Olympic

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: December 08, 2008, 06:04:51 pm »
Lets face it, most problems people had with spore are too out of the questions to come bundled with an expansion or patch...

i think it would be cool if maxis made a full-fleshed out creature phase, but not part of spore, perhaps a little game project. it would basically be creature phase, but with realistic environments and creatures and such, you would still make the creatures and players would make the content.
Creature phase seemed very lacking...
  • look for skeletons
  • kill/befriend other animals
  • single climate type (no changes in climate on a single planet atleast)
  • packs or herds just kill other guys with you or befirend other guys with you but arent like actual herds
  • and mabye this is just me, but the planets seemed too open and barren, not enough dense forests or craggy mountains or cramed swamplands-just open and hilly...

so this would be an adverturing game sorta
of course i am just dreaming here :'(
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 06:07:32 pm by Skyward Descent »
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline IamMe

• Gorf Goon
  • +200 Points!
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 11, 2008, 06:14:48 pm »
i think it would be cool if maxis made a full-fleshed out creature phase, but not part of spore, perhaps a little game project. it would basically be creature phase, but with realistic environments and creatures and such, you would still make the creatures and players would make the content.

• not enough dense forests or craggy mountains or cramed swamplands-just open and hilly...

so this would be an adverturing game sorta
of course i am just dreaming here :'(

This is exactly what I thought I was getting with GDC 2005. Maxis, you know you messed up (D:), make a game like this and make everybody happy for once.

Offline Ryuukuro

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 18, 2008, 09:26:36 am »
All I want right now is a way to block C&C creatures from downloading.  I don't have the SP, I don't want it (unless I can get it for a sensible price) and I don't like that stuff clogging my game downloads.  I can't install the latest patch either--I think it was corrupted somehow--so I'd like to block those leg parts too until I can get the patch issues resolved.

I'd also like to use the Sporepedia and have those things blocked.  While I understand EA wanting to push their product, some of us will be happy with plain Spore for a while.  There are going to be quite a few players that won't get any expansion packs but will still play the game without them.  They should be able to find things that they like and not have to deal with a big collection of stuff they can't use.  That's just a waste of disk space.
"It's just a game!  Stop complaining!"  - Me

"Earth is the Kingdom of Who-Gives-a-****" - Will Wright

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 18, 2008, 02:39:59 pm »
Yeah those things may be small but there still annoying. I do not want it to download creepy and cute stuff.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Ichthyostega

• Rally-X Roadster
    • View Profile
    • Ichthyostegland
« Reply #355 on: December 30, 2008, 12:31:45 pm »
  • Alien Parts Pack. It has unearthly parts, and especially unearthly mouths, instead of the vertically opening mouths of the gnathostomata of Earth. This parts pack also allows you to choose where you want your animal to vocalize. If you don't want your animal to vocalize through its' mouth, you can have it vocalize through "sporacles", etc.
  • Make the Civilization Stage more about living rather than every country in the world wanting to dominate. Canada and Mexico don't call open arms on us simply because our borders are close. Of course, there will always be megalomaniacs, namely Adolf Hitler in our history, and many others, but in Spore, every one of the nations are, except for the economic ones, and I don't think it is right.
  • Choose the format for if you want to build your cities, wether it be freeform, or enclosed in a circular wall. You can choose to convert your circular wall cities into freeform ones any time you wish.
  • More resources in the Tribal Stage other than food, like wood, gold or ore.
  • There should be nomadism in the Tribal Stage rather than staying in one fixed location.
  • All other tribes should be of your species, only different sapient species occuring rarely.
  • For the "Underwater Stage" expansion, food chain dynamics should be present. You should also be able return to the water if you see fit.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 02:31:11 pm by Ichthyostega »
Ichthyostega

Offline Vetro

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Behold Life.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 30, 2008, 03:45:04 pm »
  • There should be nomadism in the Tribal Stage rather than staying in one fixed location.
  • All other tribes should be of your species, only different sapient species occurring rarely.
OK... sorry about that... I pressed the wrong button and posted it before I wrote anything.

Anywho: I like these ideas. The Tribal phase is the one lacking the most right now and is probably the most disliked of the phases. I have a few ideas of my own on how to improve it:

Resources like these would be a wonderful feature, possibly allowing trading, it would interesting to see your world develop through these resources as the various tribes discover them. Maybe they can be introduced subtly, such as a gold mine (which could actually be viewable from creature phase) just sitting there near your village, there is no tutorial (or at least it is optional) and no pop up hints, you have to discover that you can mine this resource, and when you do you can make massive profit off of it by trading it for food or something to another tribe, and slowly they too will start to see the importance of these shiny pits of rocks and start up their own mining operations, and so economic competition is born. It could also happen the other way with them discovering gold first.

I really like this Idea, it could be complemented nicely with a larger area to play around on in tribal phase with more geological features (small swampy lakes for example). If there was a way to make it so as that the herds move about following the rains storms and escaping from predators (essentially an ecosystem) it would make getting food much more interesting as well as give the player a reason to pack up and move. Which reminds me, there should be at least some farming the tribal, maybe after you've chased down enough herds you species starts to come up with the idea that maybe it would be nicer to grow plants and animals instead of chasing them across the globe.

• All other tribes should be of your species, only different sapient species occurring rarely.
Excellent idea. Though it might make things a tiny bit more "connected" if you start off with only your tribal village, but slowly over time some members of your tribe become discontent with it and leave, setting up new villages with new lifestyles, maybe the population limit shouldn't be a set limit restricted by some "switch" in the programing of the game but instead be restricted by what happens in the game, when your population gets high enough, it becomes hard to keep everyone united and happy and some start to leave to settle into new tribes, or maybe a natural disaster or random even could be the thing to divide your people and cause it's spread, maybe while on a migration a landslide occurs while you are passing a mountain and cuts off the rest of your tribe, or flooding splits a continent in half, with some of your hunting party trapped on one side, they will wander around for a while before you lose control of them and they start to form their own tribe that would evolve a different culture from yours, this would only stop when farming is invented. It would also be interesting to have the ability to migrate to entirely different continents, and here is where you would find other sentient species (Neanderthal and Homo Sapien didn't evolve in the same place, or did they?, sorry I'm ignorant, correct me if I'm wrong).

There seems to be many ways Spore can be improved, each stage could be turned into an awesome game in itself, hopefully this happens sometime in the future. Though I'm getting the feeling that I expect the impossible.... Darn.... One can still hope.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 07:19:15 pm by Vetro »

Offline Ichthyostega

• Rally-X Roadster
    • View Profile
    • Ichthyostegland
« Reply #357 on: January 03, 2009, 04:00:13 pm »
  • Forest fires. They can be caused naturally (dry wood heating up via the sun), or in the Space Stage, if you use the laser tool, you can cause them yourself.
  • Why are omnivores always classed as carnivores in the Space Stage? I honestly think that they should adapt in whatever niche they are placed on.
  • When the Planet Editor is released, you should not only be able to make the continents and oceans, but you should decide what animals and plants you want to have live on your planet. For example, if you are recreating Darwin IV, you would want the arrowtongue, gyrosprinter, thornback, symet, and the emperor sea strider to live on it. This way, each planet pollinated into each person's games actually have true meaning to them other than them being inhabitable balls of varying temperatures with randomly generated ecosystems that you just fly over just to talk to the inhabitants of that planet.
  • Rather than the terrascore system, I think there should be water and atmosphere levels, just like the Space prototype. It is a lot more scientific too. You can add water by sending down a comet, and you can add to the atmosphere level by pumping in gases, or if the atmosphere is inhospitable for aerobic organisms, you can add microbes to the planet to change the atmosphere to be breatheable. This also makes Spore more like a toy, like Phun for example, and could experiment with the planet in myriad ways. Will Wright even said once that toys can change the world. I don't associate the terrascore system with an experimental toy, though this is a moot point.
  • Be able to form your own currency, like lithos, smiley bucks, gold blocks, blackseeds, etc., and is represented by a symbol. Oh, this brings another thought, the Currency Editor! You get to draw your symbol for your currency, and name it. However, if you want to buy stuff from another species, you will have to use the universal Sporebucks.
Ichthyostega

Offline Green Gremlin

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 03, 2009, 07:40:51 pm »
May have been posted already, but the bodies in the vehicle editor are off-center. When you place two of the same piece and turn one 180 degrees, the alignment is noticeably off.

Offline RR_Raptor65

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 03, 2009, 08:43:39 pm »
I'd like to be able to stretch creature bodies vertically and horizontally, so you can create flattened creatures, as it is they're always round bodies, maybe with a top and bottom so you can create concave shapes, a creature with a + shaped body cross section for example.  Handles for controlling the depth of the hip joints would be great too, so they don't stick out so much when placed on the sides of a creature, especially large creatures where the hips stick out a LOT.

And to have a much much lower limit on how small body and leg segments can be scaled to so tails don't always come out as rounded stubs and small legs don't look like marshmallows.

No more limits on starting planets either, there's a huge range of different planets, why limit us to T3 planets with the same configuration, just different color schemes?  Why not make it possible to start on a T1 planet?

It would also be REALLY nice to be able to tell the game to generate new starting planets, as it is the only way to do that in the game it seems is to start a game on one, then immediately delete it and restart Spore, and even then there's no control over whether it gives you the planet you want or not.