Author Topic: Anonymous is on it again  (Read 18303 times)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Anonymous is on it again
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 07:50:46 am »
It's really not funny. It's an invasion of privacy and a violation of the law. Not to mention that it's down right nasty and uncalled for to post her emails publicly along with personal photos and the emails on her list. I find this whole thing disgusting and sad.

Very true and I agree with you to some extent; however, in this day and age there is no excuse for not securing your data. Using your zip code as a password is dumb, plain and simple.

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 07:53:47 am »
What's a Zip code?

I have no strong feelings either way regarding this, to be honest. I suppose you could count it as Direct Action at a stretch, but it's just a prank she brought on herself by my reckoning.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 07:57:22 am »
ZIP codes are used by US postal service to streamline the mailing service. It is public information. She was hacked with a phonebook, basically.

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 07:58:42 am »
So, they're basically Post Codes.

Seems a very silly thing to have as your password....someone is bound to try it.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 08:00:23 am »

Seems a very silly thing to have as your password....someone is bound to try it.

No doubt it was silly password. But that does not justify the situation. Whats more he actively attempted to get in to her email. Its not like he accidentally stumbled across her password.

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 08:02:22 am »
I'm not defending Anon's actions. I'm just saying she didn't make it difficult.

Offline Kratok

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
  • Probably dead at this point!
    • View Profile
    • [url=http://la-mulana.com/en/][img]http://la-mulana.com/banner/half_banner3.gif[/img][/url]
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 08:24:26 am »

No doubt it was silly password. But that does not justify the situation. Whats more he actively attempted to get in to her email. Its not like he accidentally stumbled across her password.
It's not even her password, they just used password recovery.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2008, 08:37:36 am »
Snooping other peoples email and posting stuff public is an ******* manuever.

But you used your ZIP CODE as your security question, and you're a government candidate USING YAHOO EMAIL. What did they THINK was going to happen? Thats like leaving the keys to your house under your doormat, then being surprised when somebody eventually intrudes into your house whilst youre out and rummages through your belongings.

This isnt an act of 'anonymous', this is the act of one assbat, but with people laughing about it when the emails get reposted. Harsh as it is, this will serve as a wake-up call to Palin to not be so blatantly lax in the basics of security. Whilst they're at it, perhaps they should tell her not to open random email attachments from strangers, or that her long lost grandfather from Zimbabwe who wants $5000 as a down-deposit, so she can recieve millions in return, is actually a scammer.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2008, 09:21:04 am »
or that her long lost grandfather from Zimbabwe who wants $5000 as a down-deposit, so she can recieve millions in return, is actually a scammer.

Wait what? That guy seemed legit...

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2008, 11:00:47 am »
No no. The secret question wasn't her ZIP-code. You're required to enter your ZIP-code, your date of birth and the answer to your secret question to retrieve your password. Palin's question was, according to a lot people, "Where did you meet your husband?".

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2008, 11:07:15 am »
Oh dear... the story is beginning to become foggy. Fun!

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2008, 01:42:20 pm »
Rule #1 about watching the media:
Never trust the media.

Offline Slife

• Akalabeth Addict
  • A Duke of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2008, 02:28:29 pm »
Basically the real problem is the widely-used password recovery functions are really stupid. 

If I want to get access to someone's account, I just need to know a few items from a short list.  Finding out where they live (ZIP code), and their immediate family (mother's maiden name), a list of the top ten pet names, a set of paint chips, and perhaps a record of what school they went to is enough to pass through a ridiculously large portion of this security.

I, personally, just trust myself to remember my password (entering hundreds of characters in random strings for the answer works wonders of unguessable), but the vast majority of the population will just enter in the password reminder info and forget about it.
All is number -Pythagoras

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2008, 02:59:02 pm »