Author Topic: Activation  (Read 1857 times)

Offline udm

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
Activation
« on: September 17, 2008, 01:24:51 pm »
Has anyone managed to install above 3 times? How's the activation process like? I'm worried because I tend to replay my games over and over again over the years, so most of them are installed several times. Knowing EA's track record of ****ty tech support, I'm worried that I won't be able to re-activate my Spore installation after a few years

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Activation
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 02:30:23 pm »
Arstechnica did a test of it and wrote about it here.

Now, it was far from scientific, and they didn't seem to understand the DRM is activation 3 times, not installation 3 times.  But they did make several of those dreaded calls to customer support, and were able to be helped without much of a problem in only a few minutes. 

Some games that have activation servers are usually patched to remove the activation check after about a year.  The devs for Mass Effect, which has the same activation, said that EA WOULD remove the activation if they ever took the servers down. They might, but they don't have to.  There's been times when the activation was patched out of games, but I haven't heard of activation being left in after the servers are taken down, causing the game to be unplayable.

Offline j99450

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Eagle42 on Sporepedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 02:42:30 pm »
I know that the X games normally have an early-ish patch that kill the DRM, though you have to be registered on the site with your CD-Key to d/l the patches.

Offline SporeForSure

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 02:46:22 pm »
The devs for Mass Effect, which has the same activation, said that EA WOULD remove the activation if they ever took the servers down.

That means so much for us Spore players comming from the people who wrote Mass Effect :P

(The above statement contained sarcasm, did you spot it?)
”It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring” (Dr. Carl Sagan)