Author Topic: Spore set to be the most pirated game ever.  (Read 5497 times)

Offline FutureFilms

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
Spore set to be the most pirated game ever.
« on: September 17, 2008, 12:50:02 am »
Spore is expected to become the most illegally downloaded game ever, taking the #1 spot from the Sims.

Spore set to be the most pirated game ever.

Offline Bellum

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
Re: Spore set to be the most pirated game ever.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 12:58:27 am »
Doubt it makes much of a difference, really, if The Sims really is the most pirated game. The Sims is also the most sold game.  :P

I want to know how well Spore is doing.

Offline Branko

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 07:41:45 am »
Doubt it makes much of a difference, really, if The Sims really is the most pirated game. The Sims is also the most sold game.  :P

I want to know how well Spore is doing.

I want to know that to.

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 08:49:14 am »
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-10040941-52.html

In interviews with retailers across the country, there is ample anecdotal evidence that the game is doing well, especially for a PC title. However, its initial sales don't appear to be in the same ballpark as massive hits like Grand Theft Auto IV, from Rockstar Games, Guitar Hero III, from Activision or Wii Fit, from Nintendo.

There are no official sales numbers available yet, as industry analyst NPD won't likely release such information until the end of September or early October, and Electronic Arts itself said it relies on NPD for its sales data.

Personally i expect there to be a strong correlation between the number of pirate downloads and the number  of sales.  Lame, unpopular games are seldom pirated.

Offline Petike

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 11:36:20 am »
This is not true.
 Crysis was pirated in 20:1 ratio (pirate:original).   Unreal Tournament III had 40 million pirate accounts. (google it!)

Spore, with its 500 000 pirated copies, and 600 000 LEGALLY registered originals, is one of the LEAST pirated games.

This is just anti-DRM propaganda from the protesters, who want to see Spore fail ironically, so they took these acceptable numbers, and turned them into  an ironical failure.
Quote from: MasterChiToes in "Spore was dumbed down"
Maybe the Sporons are the ones that got dumbed down?  ;D

Offline Crowster

• Defender Devotee
  • It's Crow-Time, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • The Adventures of Crow-Man
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 11:55:55 am »
This is not true.
 Crysis was pirated in 20:1 ratio (pirate:original).   Unreal Tournament III had 40 million pirate accounts. (google it!)

Spore, with its 500 000 pirated copies, and 600 000 LEGALLY registered originals, is one of the LEAST pirated games.

This is just anti-DRM propaganda from the protesters, who want to see Spore fail ironically, so they took these acceptable numbers, and turned them into  an ironical failure.

That's really the smarter way to look at it. The number of pirated copies can be astronomical, but if the sales numbers are even more so, then it's to be expected. Then, even when you get those numbers, they mean very little without looking at the same statistics for other games to get a good comparison.

I'd be interested in seeing the ratio over time with those other games. Did the number of pirated copies rise the longer the game had been out, or did did it peek during the first month, and how does Spore relate?

I'm torn on this issue. While I want EA to get the hint that they are going in the wrong direction with their DRM, I don't want Spore to be the example. I want Spore to be successful so that the franchise doesn't die out. I want expansions, sequels, spinoffs and even crappy console versions, but if the "protest piracy" brings Spore's sales numbers too low, that might not happen. :(

Offline SporeForSure

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 03:02:21 pm »

No - thats the consumers saying what we want. We do not want to pay for pointless and ineffective DRM and we do want control over the software, we do not want EA to decide if we get to install it on a computer that has a new graphics card or not.

If the DRM software would only associate the install with the windows serial key/installation, then this would be of a much lesser problem, since people in the real world do not always buy "brand named preconfigured, ready to run, no extra hardware needed" boxes from Dell, but build their systems themselves.

The whole point of activation is to tie a serial/installation to one specific system, not to one specific graphics card or a new DVD player - THAT is why DRM in its current form is an EPIC FAILURE.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 03:10:22 pm by SporeForSure »
”It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring” (Dr. Carl Sagan)

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 05:08:21 pm »
DRM is the only thing preventing pirates from reaching online acces of sporepedia. So it has stopped them a bit.

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline JakeB

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 05:20:18 pm »
DRM is the only thing preventing pirates from reaching online acces of sporepedia. So it has stopped them a bit.
Actually I believe the cd key has stopped them from accessing Sporepedia. The game was cracked like before it was even out soo...(Hey just saying :x)

Plus they could always just download the creatures and crap by saving the png's...

Offline Zamaza

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Daydreaming at Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 05:26:18 pm »
Yes but at least they can't upload explicit creatures, spam messages, and create multiple users and get banned, then just make a new one again.

Offline EntropyGuardian

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 06:05:29 pm »

No - thats the consumers saying what we want. We do not want to pay for pointless and ineffective DRM and we do want control over the software, we do not want EA to decide if we get to install it on a computer that has a new graphics card or not.

If the DRM software would only associate the install with the windows serial key/installation, then this would be of a much lesser problem, since people in the real world do not always buy "brand named preconfigured, ready to run, no extra hardware needed" boxes from Dell, but build their systems themselves.

The whole point of activation is to tie a serial/installation to one specific system, not to one specific graphics card or a new DVD player - THAT is why DRM in its current form is an EPIC FAILURE.

Its a pretty pathetic argument. You don't boycott company X by using their products without paying for them. Don't buy it, sure. Tell others not to buy it, sure. Print up signs and march down the street, sure. But downloading the game and playing it anyway "in protest" is the weakest boycott I've ever seen. It was sort of like the bus boycotts only all the blacks still rode on the buses, they just didn't pay for the ride.

Offline Moogie

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 06:07:27 pm »
Yes but at least they can't upload explicit creatures, spam messages, and create multiple users and get banned, then just make a new one again.

Why would pirates do that? Idiots, kids, and noobs do that. Whether that idiot, kid, or noob also happens to be a pirate, makes absolutely no difference.

Offline Bellum

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 07:08:25 pm »

IP ban can fix that.

Offline spiritofcat

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Ta-da!
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 09:58:48 pm »
But that's nothing to do with the DRM, that's just the serial key.
The whole point is that the pirates have a crack that disables the DRM, but they don't have a valid serial key, so they can't use the online features.

Offline SporeForSure

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 05:03:50 pm »
Its a pretty pathetic argument.

What, pathetic to buy the game and still be dissatisfied with the way the game is distributed and managed? There are plenty of people who havent bought the game and are "taking things into the streets" if that is what you mean.

And *i* wasnt discussing a boycott, i was giving a response to Petikes allegation that it was some kind of "we want to see spore fail" anti globalisation protest or something. Noone want to see Spore/Maxis fail, but if EA went bankrupt - or spontaneously imploded, noone would cry.
”It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring” (Dr. Carl Sagan)