Author Topic: huh? lag time for the terrasculpt changes to show when you return to a planet?  (Read 1277 times)

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
EDIT: it looks like I'm the victim of some sort of lag time for the changes to show up when you leave and come back because after I went back to the game after a bit, I saw the changes had appeared, so, no idea.

sorry for the impulsive rant, lol ><

Okay, here is the thing, I was working on making a planet in my own system that had life on it (no spice though) into a mostly water world. I had already terraformed it into a T3 because I had heard that your work won't get reset if you do it on a T3 world. However, I zoomed out to take care of a few incoming messages and when I zoomed back in to continue my work, the damn planet reset!!!!

I was using the lower terrain and level terrain (I have the small, medium, and large tools for those) tools, so, maybe I needed to use some other tool to get it to keep?

Anyhow, I was going to use that planet as a relic storage location. I was going to make an island for the relics and a continent so that the animals at least have a place to live.

I'm really not trying to bash Maxis here, but honestly I hope you guys know about this and have a fix in the works.

T0 or T1 planets resetting somewhat is understandable given the hostile climate (T0 is most often a molten ball of rock or an ice ball), although in another game I had messed around with my molten ball of a moon and the changes stayed. I used different tools on that moon though.

Again, I'm not trying to bash anybody here as I really appreciate the work done over 3 years, but given how I really like sculpting the planets, I would at least like them to consistently stay. If T0 worlds still don't keep, thats fine with me because there are plausible reasons why it would reset, but T1 and up, I think they should stay.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 04:31:27 pm by smjjames »

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
okay, I don't know whether there is a lag time or what, but this is really annoying me (on top of those pirate raids), so Caryl, any idea what I'm seeing here??

Offline spiritofcat

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Ta-da!
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
I find that sometimes a planet that I have terraformed or painted will show up in its un-edited state when I first return to it, but within a couple of seconds it comes good. I think it's an aspect of the procedural nature of the planets. The game has to build the original planet and then apply all the modifications you've done to it.

I haven't had your problem of the planet actually reseting though. I did find that when I was terraforming a planet close to a sun its temperature would creep upwards if I hadn't stabilised the T-Score I was working on.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
I haven't had your problem of the planet actually reseting though. I did find that when I was terraforming a planet close to a sun its temperature would creep upwards if I hadn't stabilised the T-Score I was working on.

Thats just terraforming.

Anyways, I had simply THOUGHT it reset, but it takes a couple of minutes for all the changes to apply. I guess the more radical the change, the longer.

Offline SporeForSure

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
I just "visited" (ok, conqured) a T2 planet that looked like a molten ball of lava. When i approached it, the planet showed its true features and as i zoomed out again, the correct texture was applied to the planet. So i guess it could be some cache-thing that doesnt update properly.

Maby you could try zooming in/out a few times, or leave the star system and comming back.
”It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring” (Dr. Carl Sagan)