Author Topic: How do YOU kill pirates?  (Read 5074 times)

Offline SporeKevin

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
How do YOU kill pirates?
« on: September 15, 2008, 01:20:00 pm »
No, not talking about copyright breakers, but those pesky spice thieves.

I'm wondering if anyone found an attack type that gets them when they run, because it seems like my torpedoes cannot get to catch up to them fast enough, and once they get some distance then they do a quick-heal.   I have the better weapon levels in one game, so if anyone has suggestions I'd appreciate it!

Offline The_Kev

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Fear Productions
Re: How do YOU kill pirates?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 01:23:43 pm »
Well it works for me to just chase them, Iam faster then they are so I keep up with them and destroy them with my laser.
Is there anything to increase your UFO's speed? I dunno.
"When my strength is your weakness, I'll become fearless." - Fear

Proud owner of:

Offline Spore-addict

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 01:26:25 pm »
The best fighting style in the game is as follows:

You use reverse on your spaceship ;-) funny enough it is just as fast as forward.

Then fire missile after missile at them. Have them around the text at the top when backing and firing away.

IF lucky they die in the shot before they dash away. But that happends mostly when you have tier 2 or tier 3 missle.

If you have less and they do that escape run. You go after them FAST. Then equip the lazer and when you around the side of them or a little back, you can lazer them to death before they quick-heal. rinse and repeat...mostly you dont have to do it so often. Well at tier 1 missile it is more often ....and seldom at tier 3 missile.
Master Raytracer Spore-addict = KarmaCowboy

See you out there, feel free to comment my creatures.

Offline Pietoro

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 01:39:21 pm »
The best fighting style in the game is as follows:

You use reverse on your spaceship ;-) funny enough it is just as fast as forward.

Then fire missile after missile at them. Have them around the text at the top when backing and firing away.

IF lucky they die in the shot before they dash away. But that happends mostly when you have tier 2 or tier 3 missle.

If you have less and they do that escape run. You go after them FAST. Then equip the lazer and when you around the side of them or a little back, you can lazer them to death before they quick-heal. rinse and repeat...mostly you dont have to do it so often. Well at tier 1 missile it is more often ....and seldom at tier 3 missile.

I can never catch them either, I have terrible reflexes. =(

Now I just put uber turrets on all my colonies and let those chase them for me. =)
"Ooh rabba la dee teeb, ooh babba labba squeeb!"

Offline Elyanna

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Spore Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 01:43:23 pm »
I'm not good a point-and-click fighting either. That's why just about every planet of mine has an uber-turret.

I'll have to try using reverse. Very clever, that.
My spore profile: http://www.spore.com/view/profile/elyanna
I like to make plausible creatures.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 01:48:38 pm »
Well, in general combat, reversing as you open fire on your pursuers is a good way to wittle them down, when you dont have to worry about planetary turrets catching you off-guard.

However with pirates, i've found the easiest way to take them out is simply to give chase. One thing that most people dont seem to have realised, is that the higher in orbit you are, the faster you move in relation to the ground. Low flight yields reduced speed for precision, but skimming just inside the atmosphere makes you cover more ground. So, whilst chasing pirates, increase your height to gain ground, then lower yourself in until your speed is close to theirs, then open fire with your standard laser. Missiles wont be able to keep up with them, but a stream of laser will burn them to nothing pretty quick.

Offline Noflunk

• Mystery House Madman
  • Why is his head soooo big?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 01:53:03 pm »
If i just go to the city(ies) and pick up the spice boxes most the time the pirates leave (nothing worth stealing) and if they stay i usually just take out the main ship with missiles and let my turret take out the little guys

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 01:59:41 pm »
If i just go to the city(ies) and pick up the spice boxes most the time the pirates leave (nothing worth stealing) and if they stay i usually just take out the main ship with missiles and let my turret take out the little guys

I did not know you could do that. That's awesome.. that's like me just finding out last night that you can win Civ stage by making alliances with other people. I was allied with the lowly Green Economic Nation (which I had surrounded and controlled my entire continent), and the vast and mighty Blue Religious Empire. We took out Orange and Red, and after about 3 minutes, I thought I would have to attack Blue (so I was building up my forces). But just as I start thinking this.. I get a message (a really cool one too) that says we should join forces, 2 minutes later the lowly Green Nation followed suit. That is how I won Civ with only 6 cities against an empire equal in size (well 5 cities).
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline SporeKevin

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 02:01:29 pm »
Thanks.   Seems like some good advice here!

So far:

1) Use the back-up procedure to aim at them and attack while 'retreating'.
2) Switch from torpedo to laser to burn the runners down.
3) Buy uber satellite defense if you can afford it to help take them out.
4) Notice whether flying in high orbit which is faster or low orbit, slower but more precise.
5) Pick up any spice boxes in colonies before pirates, so they have nothing to steal.

Seems like good strategies, and I only had a couple of them myself, so I'm sure I'll be doing better than simply spamming torpedoes and saying rude things at the monitor as they get away.  : )

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 02:06:14 pm »
i go to the planet being pirated, hang around doing nothing and wait for the uber turret to one shot them.

Offline Zamaza

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Daydreaming at Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 03:56:20 pm »
*does what veraal does*

Except if they actually get close to a colony I do go shoot them down. Just in case.

Offline TDKenyon

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
    • Neu Age
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 04:01:34 pm »
I just ignore them, as I say everywhere else in this forum ;).

Offline Elyas

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 04:20:06 pm »
Once you have the pirate ships targeted you can just hold down the right mouse button and it follows them.  I'm able to easily follow the pirates and track them down when they try to run.

At least it works for me.

Offline Harvestfreak

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • Just Flying By
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 05:02:14 pm »
You do know for when they are running away fire your laser at them, then switch to your missiles to finish em off. Also you don't have to keep clicking on em, just hold the mouse button on em.
I actually like the pirate raids, because I get to blow em up.

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 02:11:24 am »
Mega Pulse is the best underrated weapon ever. If you simply reverse, and get them to go straight ahead to get you, mega pulse kills pretty much everyone.

Mega Pulse also pwns most cities into surrendering instead of blowing them up.

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"