Author Topic: Driving Vehicles?  (Read 4149 times)

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
Driving Vehicles?
« on: September 15, 2008, 09:00:41 am »
How do I get creatures into my vehicles?

We've heard so many times "my creature was in the front seat driving it" and "you can see my little creatures in the UFO".

But how do you do it?

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: Driving Vehicles?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 09:01:42 am »
I never heard that, and I've heard a lot of things <_<
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 09:19:14 am »
In space you sometimes have a little image of your creature in the UFO cockpit in the lower right, but otherwise, no.

Feel free to imagine that they are behind the fully opaque cockpit glass however.

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 09:22:25 am »
I want to make a rat wheel. Basicaly a big wheel with rats inside running like hamsters.

Offline brotherscrim

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 09:42:04 am »
I want to make a rat wheel. Basicaly a big wheel with rats inside running like hamsters.

There's no way that will ever happen with this game.  It would need a completely new, and very robust, physics engine to do that.  A Physics engine that would do little but slow down the game considerably with little to no game benefit.

Don't get me wrong, I like your idea :D.  But I just can't see it happening.

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 10:40:33 am »

There's no way that will ever happen with this game.  It would need a completely new, and very robust, physics engine to do that.  A Physics engine that would do little but slow down the game considerably with little to no game benefit.

Don't get me wrong, I like your idea :D.  But I just can't see it happening.

I think the vehicle editor is more than flexible enough to make something like this.

As Inevitable as Life Itself. Spread the Joy.

My Sporepedia page:
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Aligon

The Agnoculus:
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=7619.0

Offline brotherscrim

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 12:12:30 pm »

I think the vehicle editor is more than flexible enough to make something like this.

there are no creatures inside those vehicles, though, and they don't interact with the environment using physics except in the most rudimentary way.

It's true, they could make a rodent&wheel piece that was animated, but I kind of got the impression that the poster was looking for a wheel that a creature, a creature he most likely made, would be inside, pushing the wheel.  If they made the vehicles physics-enabled (or, for that matter, any model that could potentially show up by the dozens), there would be serious slowdown, most likely.  If they made a physics-enabled agent (a creature) suitably-sophisticated as to push another object it was INSIDE (rodent & wheel), then you're looking at an exponentially more complicated physical action, again; possibly happening by the dozens.  Super-duper doubleplus mega slowdown, as thousands and thousands of collisions are calculated and force applied to create the movement.

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 12:48:26 pm »
oh, I see what you mean now. I agree that it's simply unfeasable though, and it just defeats the point of the game anyway. It's not meant to be a flawlessly accurate depiction of reality, it's just a set of tools to play around with. What's cool about spore is that you can bring your imagination to bear, and even though there isn't a very complex physics engine enabled, you can still make a vehicle look like it's being driven by a hamster-wheel!  ;)

As Inevitable as Life Itself. Spread the Joy.

My Sporepedia page:
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Aligon

The Agnoculus:
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=7619.0

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 07:15:07 am »
I found the lack of any visible driver very helpful, though. Usually when I'm making remotely controlled vehicles. 8) :)

Offline immortius

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 07:34:36 am »
I once blew up a flying vehicle and a whole bunch of creatures fell out. More than could sensibly fit in it. It was weird.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 07:40:27 am »
And the fact that hundreds of stuff can fit into our ships. O.o

Also, has anyone else here experienced a time when your vehicle only uses one type of weapon even though you equipped it with four or more? :-\

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 07:48:29 am »
And the fact that hundreds of stuff can fit into our ships. O.o

Also, has anyone else here experienced a time when your vehicle only uses one type of weapon even though you equipped it with four or more? :-\

Civ vehicles don't have "different types of weapons".  They just have weapon-looking decorations that increase the attack stat.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 08:22:19 am »
Wait, what? An idea like this would suddenly require a specific physics engine, why? Look at everything else the game has achieved without having to use something as malplaced as an active, constantly running physics engine. The other vehicles dont run on that kind of physics engine, the creatures interacting with objects dont require that kind of physics engine... so why here? The hamster wheel would just have a center-point, and it would spawn a little copy of your species inside it, constantly playing a running animation. It would function as just another vehicle part, albeit one with higher complexity due to the addition of a secondary piece (a detailed-down creature).

People assume things are impossible, because they forget not everything has to be hyper-realistic. People said moving water bodies would be impossible because it would require a physics engine to actively work out water movement. People said that -insert new anything here- would be impossible because it would require 'months and months of work', even if the only suggestion was a new tuft of grass. People tend to shoot down ideas, and then use silly examples as a reason why. I could say that having a game with hundreds of planets in would be impossible, because the RAM requirements and graphical demand from the computer to deal with such things all the time, would be astronomical. The thing is, people who make games arent going to take the most inefficient way of doing things, are they? When considering making a flamethrower in an FPS game, they dont try to develop a particle system that uses accurate-to-reaity physics systems to simulate the excitement of air particles to create flame, no, they're more likely just to have the gun hose lots of little premade 2D fire sprites :P

Hamster wheels are easily possible, when you skip the ludicrously complex shoot-down examples :P