Author Topic: For Caryl: What we DO like about Spore  (Read 27492 times)

Offline Slife

• Akalabeth Addict
  • A Duke of Amber
    • View Profile
Re: For Caryl: What we DO like about Spore
« Reply #90 on: September 15, 2008, 08:57:28 pm »
That glitching up the game is fun and easy! 

As in, you know, good glitches that add to the game.  MissingNo. and killer carp style.
All is number -Pythagoras

Offline Classeye

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 15, 2008, 10:16:21 pm »
To Caryl:

I had a day off to play spore. I sat down and decided to take a crack at the space stage. Before i knew it I had re-developed an old disease I like to call melee time travel syndrome.

(For those who aren't aware, melee syndrome is when you sit down to play the game a minute only to look at your clock and realize you just lost half a day.)

I've been off the Melee for about two years now and suddenly I have to put time limits on myself again for I fear spore will swallow my life whole like the grand white whale it is.

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #92 on: September 15, 2008, 11:44:31 pm »
3) Voices/creature sounds. The audio in game is amazing, even pre-speech. The space lingo is starting to get stuck in me and several of my friends heads, and we know a few phrases already. We frequently tell each other now "You really qualmed up an iznerg!"

Babalabbasqueeb?

Offline econundrum

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2008, 05:39:41 am »
Something else I would add from last night’s spore session (I must stop going to bed at 5 on work days), is that Tribe is much more fun if you play the social game than just destroy the village. I really enjoyed it.
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations."

David Friedman.

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/econundrum

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2008, 06:01:07 am »
Oh, that reminds me, I love in the tribe stage when your friends come skipping over with a basket of food. The music is so funny with it, like they're little hippy creatures.

I love little unexpected moments like the tribe talking about Will Wright.

-Watching a epic creature get killed and eaten.

-Random UFO's flying around, especially if it's something you know your friend just made.

-The MySpore page in the Sporepedia and getting to see what others are doing with your content. It's a thrill to see that they just used a creation you just made.

-DRM has not caused any problems for my computer, log in happened just fine. I love being able to say that. :P

I gave a copy of Spore to my best friend and she and her husband are loving it. He is playing for hours. They knew I'd been waiting for it but they had no expectations themselves. I've two family members play it and they are enjoying it too.

Space is just incredible, it's so large and so expansive and exploring is fun. Hours and hours of fun. I too have lost track of time while playing... just one more planet...

Offline Crowster

• Defender Devotee
  • It's Crow-Time, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • The Adventures of Crow-Man
« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2008, 06:46:53 am »
Alright, this kind of moment is the reason I game at all.

*** Warning, the following may be spoilers. Not sure if it was an intentional easter egg or not ***
I was just goofing off in a creature game. I saw an epic creature running around so I decided to follow it for a while. Watched it terrorize a few creatures, then it spotted me and ran towards me. I tried to fly away, but it SNAGGED ME OUT OF MID AIR. I was expecting instant game over, but it didn't. It took one bite out of me, continued to terrorize the rest of my pack for a while until it decided it was done with me.

It then proceeded to throw me. My creature flew higher than those wings it evolved could have ever carried it. I seriously thought it had launched me into orbit. It was about mid day on the planet, but the epic threw me so high that I could see the stars and planets. Probably the best look you can GET at your home solar system while in creature phase.

I tried to flap my wings, actually flying at that height would have been awesome, but the animation seemed to prevent that.

It was glorious, and I will forever hate myself for not hitting the V key on my keyboard as it happened. I didn't have time to think, I was too busy gasping in awe.

Offline Beatnuki

• Scramble Skipper
  • Wilco Hex, reporting for duty!
    • View Profile
    • Beatnuki's Chunk of Funk (which seemed like a good idea at the time)
« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2008, 11:41:17 am »
Haha, wow, that's an awesome event!  :D You've reminded me, when I steal some spice from a city with my spaceship and accidentally snag some citizens and then drop them and hear them go, "Waaaaaaaaaa!!!" all the way down again. I feel terrible, but also guiltily gleeful.  ::)
If you peruse my things, you get POINTS!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Beatnuki

Only trouble is, they're Whose Line Is It Anyway points, which are infamously not worth anything.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 16, 2008, 11:46:27 am »
Ha..that reminds me the first time i was grabbed by an epic..

AHHHH NO I"M GONNA DIE. *gets bitten and thrown* WOOO I"M ALIVE WEEE THIS IS FUN!.

What water? NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

*gets eaten by sea monster*

The ruddy thing picked me up bit me and threw me so deep in to the water the sea monster ate me!.

Offline qyasogk

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2008, 06:25:41 pm »
This thread is awesome, so let me add my little bit because I whole heartedly agree with all the positive comments above!

I love the Little Things that make me smile, or make my jaw drop open.

I randomly came across a crop circle!

The first time I came across one of my Creature Creator creatures. It was a beautiful moment of revelation... and it did not feel like I was playing a game, it was like seeing the dinosaurs for the first time in Jurrasic Park, I got goosebumps!

I was in the tribe stage, and some of my tribe were off to the beaches fishing, some were gathering eggs from the domesticated animals, one was busy with a hammer repairing one of the huts. A youngling, just hatched from an egg was so happy and excited he was running around in circles faster and faster, like 5 year olds are wont to do. Until finally he stopped, swayed back and forth, before falling over dizzy. I felt like I'd just witnessed the most special thing I'd ever seen. I was watching this tribe live and grow, not just as game pieces or units, but that they had a life!

I want to be able to play in all the stages more. I have one game saved in tribe stage, where they've already allied/beaten all the other tribes, but I so much enjoy just interacting and watching them, that i refuse to move on to civ with them!

I've personally gotten about 15 people to buy the game who'd never heard about it before I started talking about it. And so regardless of whatever stuff is going on commercially, your word of mouth sales are going to go through the roof!

Spore is a masterpiece and a gigantic REVOLUTION in game design. Bravo.

Offline Branko

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 17, 2008, 07:00:20 am »
Honestly, i love it all!

Yes, me to.

I like to come from cell to creature phase to see what kind of world i did get this time. Cell and creature phase are the best for me. Next is space phase. I like to walk in forests in creature phase.

I like to run  from epic creatures and hide from them.

I like how moons and sun move in creature phase.

I like to make videos in game. I have good ones but i don't know how to put it here.

I wanted to put here one very good sundown on beach, but i don't know how.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 17, 2008, 09:21:10 am »
Yahtzee just did his critic thing on Spore. Whilst I realise there is another thread for this, I think it warrants a link here too :
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/218-Spore

You see? Even a notoriously blunt critic who has a habit of totally shredding games couldnt be too mean to Spore. :3

Offline Crowster

• Defender Devotee
  • It's Crow-Time, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • The Adventures of Crow-Man
« Reply #101 on: September 17, 2008, 09:40:08 am »
Yahtzee just did his critic thing on Spore. Whilst I realise there is another thread for this, I think it warrants a link here too :
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/218-Spore

You see? Even a notoriously blunt critic who has a habit of totally shredding games couldnt be too mean to Spore. :3

I'm not completely sure that a Yahtzee "review" is really capturing the intended nature of this thread. Just sayin' >_>

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 17, 2008, 10:00:40 am »
Hahah, yeah, I thought about that, but then again when you consider how he normally shreds most games he's asked to critique, and he didnt find a way to completely stomp all over it (and had good things to say), I think that says a lot. If the game can stand up to scrutiny, you know, get rattled and still stand strong, then its obviously doing fine :3

Dont MAKE me confess to how long i've played Spore this week.

Offline WeatherMAN

• Sea Battler
  • ^ He's rocking out ^
    • View Profile
    • My Spore Creations!
« Reply #103 on: September 17, 2008, 10:02:32 am »
I'm not completely sure that a Yahtzee "review" is really capturing the intended nature of this thread. Just sayin' >_>

Well, the point Uroboros was making was that the yahtzee review wasn't harsh... at all... compared to some of his other reviews... pretty much with yahtzee is this: you figure out if he likes a game or not based on how much/bad he bashes it... so he seemed to like spore, but gave the hype machine behind it a good thrashing... watch some of his other reviews for games and you will quickly figure out which ones he really really doesn't like
Visit: My Spore Creations | My Sporepedia Profile
...Please Comment & Vote Them Up! Their may be cookies involved...
OK... so there aren't any cookies... do it because I have an undying need to get approval from people I've never me

Offline whistlinjoe

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 17, 2008, 11:05:27 am »
I like:

• Being able to sit down and play with the game.
  • Being able to sit down with one game and do about a hundred different things depending on my mood, and not being punished for it
  • Every time I visit a planet, start a new game, or look in the sporepedia, I findsomething new and remarkable
  • Being part of a creative community which creates some really amazing ane versified things
  • The ability to create anything I can possibly think of and play with it.