Author Topic: For Caryl: What we DO like about Spore  (Read 17882 times)

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
Re: For Caryl: What we DO like about Spore
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2008, 03:22:01 pm »
1. Seeing my creations in my own game.
2. The dynamic trait system, leading up to a final space trait.
3. Clothing editors: Awesome way to personalize your race.
4. Exploring in space. Never in any game have I ever gotten task-ADD as badly as with Space. In my book, task ADD is a GOOD thing. So many fun things to do, I can't help but randomly jump from one to another as a whim catches me.
5. Creature voices. The fact that they are based on the mouth and the scale of the mouth is awesome. The thing I loved most about my Teralyte (seen dancing) is its voice. Once I heard that voice, I knew I had my creature. Its body came after.
6. Sporepedia. Creating for creations sake is one thing, but creating knowing that others have a chance to not only see but play with your content is awesome. I always log in looking for new comments on my stuff.
7. Achievements. While it seems like every game out there is hoping on to the acheivement band wagon, Spore is a PERFECT context for acheivements. The goals are creative, rewarding and unique, encouraging play styles that one might not have otherwise tried.
8. Building editor. It gives me just enough freedom with the part placement to try unique and odd things while keeping things nice and smooth and easy to use. I think it rivals the creature creator for how much creativity it allows.
9. Music. The in game music is nice and dynamic. It never seems annoying or out of place. The music editor is a nice addition.
10. It has the Maxis charm. Every game I've ever played (back to Sim City on the SNES) has always had a certain humor and charm to it. Spore is NO exception. You can see the heart and love that was poured into the making of the game.
Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com

Offline primadog

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 15, 2008, 03:26:09 pm »
I love spending half an hour to figure out the best layout for the city-planner.  It really is a minigame by itself.

Offline BlueSabor

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 15, 2008, 04:43:19 pm »
I'm having fun playing every part of Spore, if I had to pick one thing
I like best it would have to be the sound on everything!! 

Offline Beatnuki

• Scramble Skipper
  • Wilco Hex, reporting for duty!
    • View Profile
    • Beatnuki's Chunk of Funk (which seemed like a good idea at the time)
« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2008, 04:46:38 pm »
I found out something else that's pretty impressive to me just tonight, but first I've got to give a quick shout out to the anthem editor. It's great fun! Once I got the hang of it I could make a nice catchy theme tune.  :)

Tonight, though, while I was out Sol-hunting, I got a call from my homeworld to find it was under attack by The Grox. By the time I got back I was horrified to discover most of the once mighty cities of my world were black scorch-marks on the planetary surface and I was hopelessly outnumbered. I chased Grox ships around, cursing myself for not bothering investing in weapons upgrades, but to my absolute horror they totalled the last standing city. They then left as swiftly as they'd come, completely autonomous and remorseless.

And I just stared at the screen for a while. But....this was my home! This was my first planet I'd played in the game! I'd evolved all the way from a blob here!

The game spawned a Colony in the middle of nowhere, as a last bastion of my species' salvation. I just blinked at it. There was one town hall in the middle. So I filled out the rest, feeling a little numb and hollow.

But this is the point. I can't think of many other games that evoke that kind of a feeling when you 'lose'. If I'm beat at Civ, I emit a snort of indignation; if I die in WoW, I usually utter a small string of naughty words.  But when a game gives me a planet, lets me play on it, lets me evolve all the way up into sapience and take to the stars and then snatches it from me, leaving it a husk for all my hard work and emotional investment.....that's a really strange feeling to get from a humble game.

But I'm really happy that Spore has the power to evoke that kind of feeling though, is my point. I definitely see that as an achievement. I was content to let The Grox be, but now I shall see them burn!  ;D

For The Collective!
If you peruse my things, you get POINTS!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Beatnuki

Only trouble is, they're Whose Line Is It Anyway points, which are infamously not worth anything.

Offline smidgieroo

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
    • My spore creations
« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2008, 04:51:07 pm »
  I love the fact that I finally have something that I can have in common with my 19 year old son. We both play with one account and it's really cool to see the progress he's making in his game by logging in to my spore page. Sounds silly but It's maybe a mother son bonding thing. Kinda rare these days.
   I loove the fact that I have been playing since the day it came out and I just got to space, because even though I really wanted to see space I was having so much fun in the first 2 stages that I kept starting new worlds. How many games does THAT happen with.
    I love that I just started space and am totally blown away by how beautiful it is. I love the different worlds and how pretty everything is. I was exploring one world and looking for a particular creature and was just kinda chasing it and suddenly over the next hill..................Oh wow.............gorgeous sunset and huge moon or planet on the horizon. Everything was kinda reflecting in the water and the trees and mountains were framing it and I just forgot about chasing the creature and just took ;lots of pics and stared. AWESOME.
   I love the little moments too.All the funny things that happen that you forget about because something else astounding is happening .
   I love the editors and all the possibilities. It's fun just thinking abut it, and not knowing what is going to come to life when you start with that strange looking blob on the platform.
   I love everythig about it and it makes me sad that there is so much critisism, because I want ti to do well and be around for a long time. And YES I want expansions because Sims and this game hav become a very fun hobby.
  There is just so much I love about it. As I read through the posts I agreed with everything .............so much
 I appreciate all the talent and love that went into making this game. It really shows. Thank you

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2008, 06:37:50 pm »
I love creating things and all the fun bits that make the game great.

Offline hilightnotes

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2008, 07:15:53 pm »
What? Is this even a question! I love everything! I really, sincerely mean it when I say that I love this game in every way. The team did a wonderful job. Sure there are some flaws that could be ironed out, but when aren't there?
Also, I'd like to let Maxis know, that people who aren't so involved in the community like we forum-goers also love it. I spoke to a couple of my friends, teens (16-17) who have it, and they love it.

To name a few things I think deserve particular commendment:

1) The editors, of course. Creating has never been funner (even more fun then using words that don't really exist!).

2) How you guys involved the community. I mean, it really kicked off when the whole sharing aspect was announced, it continued when the CC was released. It's amazing how you guys were able to integrate the community. It continued even FURTHER when you invited the fansite heads over. That was just incredible. It continues constantly as you feature and support user creations. It continues when you read the comments of the people who got featured, and you realize how much it must have lit up their day to become featured, which then brightens my day. And it continues when some of you post in spore forums and bring a more authentic feel to a thread or forum. It must be incredibly hard to read the forums, because many people post the complaints and forget the compliments. And let me tell you, I think EVERYONE would agree that the compliments far outweigh the complaints in everyone's mind, even if they are posting more complaints.

3) The humor and light gameplay. It's not hardcore, but it's fun. It's a hell of a lot of fun. And "hardcore" players can enjoy it too I think.

Spore was a huge accomplishment, and a game done extremely well.
Rock on Maxis!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 07:23:02 pm by hilightnotes »
Spore username: highlight
Fan of: Spore. LOST, my brand new PS3

I love composing music. If you need any I might be able to supply!

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2008, 07:20:46 pm »
I have had some complaints about spore we all have some superficial some deep problems but this is the topic for what we love.

The Cell phase everything about it the only complaint I can make for it is I want more of it which really if people are asking for more you did something right.

I think the Civ phase is the most underated phase. Sure it could be deeper still it's fun and you get the instant win button at just the right time. Although I do admit to feeling cheated in that I'm given an instant win button I know I probably would have hated civ with out it so in the end a win for the civ phase.

Finding buddy content on various planets Oviraptors Scoopbacks I have seeded so many worlds with those things.

The creators are perfect long after I'm tired of exploring the universe I'll be building content. the ship I tried to make was a recreation of a ship from a TV show I was so amazed at how well it turned out I used it as my main ship.

I love looking through the Sporepedia for content to pick and choose into my game grabbing whole sporecasts of content. My game doesn't seem to auto-download I'm not sure why I have buddy content only turned off but I dont mind it just means looking for more awesome stuff and gives me more control of what appears in my game.

Offline Judhudson

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
    • SporePrograms
« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2008, 07:26:37 pm »
Most of the points in this thread are more well written then what I could write, but my biggest love of Spore would be the Cell Stage.  Please - please expand on that stage.  It's just calm and relaxing to play after a long days work :)
Owner of SporePrograms & SimPrograms
http://www.sporeprograms.com - http://www.simprograms.com

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2008, 07:31:51 pm »
I was actually thinking about making a thread about this yesterday when you commented on us all compianing so much, I just couldn't think of how to word my intent.  Many props on getting this up here!

1. Just gonna lump it into one here, but the editors, every one.  I love everything about them, their versitilty, their ease of use, the quality of the final product.  As we've all expected for a long time, the editors are what are gonna keep us comming back again and again.

2. I love exploring around in the creature phase, discovering what was hiding out in the question mark over the hill.

3. The wonderfull absurdity of some moments in the game, be they player made or intended by our beloved developers.

4. Encountering my own stuff.  I love the feeling of when I spot some of my own creations scampering through the underbrush, a foreboding feeling forming in my brain just as I get flattened from all sides by them.

5. The amazing vibe of the game.  I don't think it's completley sunk in yet that I am playing Spore.  I've been waiting so long and now I finally have it, it doesn't seem real.  I was delightfully giddy when my copy of the Galactic Edition arrived.  Delightfull!

6. The civ phase flows amazingly.  It's probably my favourite phase.  I don't know how to describe it, but something just clicked with me on that one.

7.Probably the greatest thing of all, the fact that I've finally been able to bring my Kratair to life, after 2 and a half years.  All their vehicals, all their buildings, all their quirks and excentricities.  I was lucky enough to manage to get them to be Scientists, so that worked out beautifully.

8. Finally, Space, the final fronter.  While it may have been hard to get the swing of, now that I'm into it it's amazing.  I love the feeling of satisfaction when I close on a 5 million credit spice deal or when I finish off the last planet in a long and bloody campaigne.  I love exploring and seeing what I find, especially if I recognize it, which I do alot.  Within 20 parsecs of my homeworld I have the Mallens, ViS and Wexxians just to name a few, and that's awesome.

Of course, these are just a few things, the easiest to put into words.  All in all, I'd say Spore is everything I had hoped it would be.  Sure there's a few issues here and there, but what game doesn't have that?  At least with Spore we know it'll get looked at, and until then, there's everything else in the galaxy to keep us occupied.  ;D

Wee!
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Null

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2008, 07:58:40 pm »
Although I dont own the game because right now I do not have access to a computer that can play it ( I have a OLD laptop at the moment) none of the complaints have really seemed serious enough to me to dampen my enthusiasm for it anyways. Early phases a bit short and simple? I was expecting that from the beginning. The space phase as it stands now sounds like a real challenge, and that is a good thing. In fact, even if a patch that solved every singe complaint everyone ever had came out today, I would still rather play the unpatched version first before even thinking about patching.

Offline Moonblade

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2008, 08:03:41 pm »
*looks up* Hmm?  Oh, well...the fact that every time I start it up I lose several hours of my life to it...often without realizing time has passed should be a big hint.  I love everything about the game! 

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to chase some some pirates away...things have gotten much quieter since I put those aggressive empires firmly in their place. 
Yay! my two dragons!

Offline Zamaza

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Daydreaming at Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2008, 08:32:31 pm »
1) Being surprised every time I play. Something new to see, some weird thing happening, or just running into something unusual.
2) People make the craziest things! Browsing Sporepedia pre-release I got to see a lot of nifty creations. Nothing beats running into these oddities while playing. The first time I saw a flying UFO squid in as a creature, or an epic mushroom chasing me down I had to pause to get over the shock before continuing.
3) Voices/creature sounds. The audio in game is amazing, even pre-speech. The space lingo is starting to get stuck in me and several of my friends heads, and we know a few phrases already. We frequently tell each other now "You really qualmed up an iznerg!"
4) The scope and flow. Seeing your guys from cell to space is really rewarding. It's more than "ha I beat that level" it really feels like they're becoming something more. Each phase flows really well into the next one. Sometimes, I get this odd feeling there's something beyond space...  ;)

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2008, 08:38:29 pm »
2) People make the craziest things! Browsing Sporepedia pre-release I got to see a lot of nifty creations. Nothing beats running into these oddities while playing. The first time I saw a flying UFO squid in as a creature, or an epic mushroom chasing me down I had to pause to get over the shock before continuing.

By chance, that wasn't my Shiroobbit was it? I really want someone to see some of my stuff as epics and get pictures. Someone ran into an Epic ShyGuy... I wish they took a picture.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2008, 08:50:58 pm »
"You really qualmed up an iznerg!"
YES!!!

Tottally adding that to my own personal lexicon even if only to get quizotic looks.  Caryl feel free to tell the other devs because of them somewhere in Australia people are being informed of their qualming up of iznergs.