Author Topic: For Caryl: What we DO like about Spore  (Read 17880 times)

Offline SpaceOddity

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Europan
    • View Profile
Re: For Caryl: What we DO like about Spore
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2008, 11:28:50 am »
What a good idea LadyM! I have been avoiding the forums a bit lately, for all the endless complains everybody seem to have. This cheers me up too.

1. I love playing Spore, having the thing on my machine still feels a bit unreal. :) I have sank too many hours in it already and have so much more I want to do in it still!

2. I adore flying from planet to planet in Spore, so much easier than the real thing would be! ;D

3. I love the clever ways the game assists you in growing the Space empire.

4. The editors, I know I will love them too, I love flying so much that I have not taken much time to really explore their possibilities. On my Spore to-do list.

5. I love the fact that both my kids really like playing it too. They are so very very different in their preferences, but they both find lots of things to enjoy.

6. I love browsing the Sporepedia in-game and knowing that I still haven't seen even 1% of what has been made. And that people will get better and better with those tools, the best is yet to come!  ;D

<<<< Click to enter.

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2008, 11:30:32 am »
I like the concept of the game.

go ahead and ban me.

I guess i like that you can fly.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 11:33:58 am by Veraal »

Offline IamMe

• Gorf Goon
  • +200 Points!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2008, 11:33:20 am »
I loooove Spore. This game amazing. Being able to create most everything while you bring your creature to sentience. Great great great job devs. :D

List time!

1. I love the kind of "bond" you develop between you and your creature. If you're playing as Leon or Samus you are just playing as a character. If you are playing as your Spore creature, you're basically playing as somebody you created, personality and body. In Spore, when I get eaten I'm like "Noooo not him he was my favorite DDDDD:". If I was playing as Mario and I die I'm like "Crap. Guess I'll try again...".

2. I love the humor in this game. I would have never thought to have Tribal people put up signs to show everybody what their score was. I don't know why, but it's random and hilarious. XD Like the person a couple of posts above me said, "HELP! They don't get our sense of humor!" THAT is the best line to ever be heard ever. I haven't encountered that message yet, but that is exactly what I'm talking about with the humor. Keep it up in next games/Spore expansion packs!

3. Animate feet domesticating Yoshi's? You know that's awesome.

4. Destroying a planet by shoving a couple meteors into it? Awesome.

5. Destroying a planet in general? Awesome.

6. Like many other people said, the references are great! I'm not a big sci-fi fan, but I got a few references here and there. ;D

7. Editors. Love 'em. I love the idea that you can animate whatever I create, love the idea that I even can create, love the idea that creating is the main part of the game.

8. All these years of hard work for just one game. You've been working on this game for... 5 years? More? Less? Whatever. That's a lot of work. Thanks devs. Thanks Will Wright.

9. I love how you start out as a blob with eyes and spikes and evolve into a three-legged one-eyed raptor that spreads their religion via genocide.

10. Achievements. They make the never-ending infinity of happiness even longer. Whoooo! :DDDD

11. "And further out, and further out, and further out..." I got chills in my spine when I watched that. SO EPIC.

12. You referenced Earth. That's like, the grand-daddy of all references.

13. The way you play in one part effects what happens in another part of the game. And there's already like 50 ways to play. I love these kind of games. Dues Ex, for example. Same princible, FPS game. You can play the whole game and not kill anyone. Or you can play the game and hack robots to kill everything for you. Or you can just kill everything yourself. Same with Spore.

14. I really like the starting screen. Y'know, the galaxy with all your saves. I just really like it.

15. What everybody else said. :D

So thanks a TON for this game. I was sick from school today and guess what I played?

Guess what I'm going to go play now? :)

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2008, 12:02:10 pm »
Actually, I think the reason there's lots of negativity is exactly the opposite: so many people love Spore, love the idea, love the potential. If people didn't care or hated it, they wouldn't be here spending hours and hours posting and arguing over it. :)
True enough. The self-created hype might be to blame for a lot of it. People had plenty of time to get stoked to the point of insanity, prior to the games release. People may just need to learn how to constructively phrase their criticisms, rather than throwing a little tantrum, and going on a crusade against EA and Spore. A lot of the negativity i've seen frustrates the hell out of me, personally. I've always hated using the word, but I really do see a lot of whining going around. Though, this place seems to be fairly good for it, and we've been getting a good number of constructive posts here and there. It'd still feel like a suckerpunch to the gut, if you were working on Spore and were really into it, only to see a tsunami of rabid downer-posts shortly after its release. Spore is delicious, end of.

Also, I havent seen you around the forums before, Moogie. Or maybe I have, and I just never saw your adorable avatar. Urge to stare... conflicting... with urge to finish making my bio-vehicles for my civ species...

Offline skewedjester

• Video Pinball Wizard
  • The Book of Jester holds the truth...usually.
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2008, 12:19:40 pm »
Too tired and busy to make a list of things I love, but I just had to say that I do, indeed, love Spore. Thank you, Team Spore!

Offline Absinth

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Check out my creatures on the sporepedia
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2008, 12:22:53 pm »
What i love the most in Spore:

- The many jaw dropping moments when watching sunrises, gas giants and moons from your planet as a creature.
And on top of that, being able to visit them later on.

- The simplicity and brilliance of the editors in the game.

- Sporepedia and the ease of sharing content with others.

- The way we can evolve our creature and play out it's entire history.

- The enormous size of the galaxy and how tiny my 42 star system empire looks like compared to it when you zoom out.  :D

- The humor in the game, especially into the cut scenes.

- The exploration, terraforming  and experimenting that is possible on planets with our spaceship.

- The list goes on and on but what i really wanted to say is, i love you Maxoids for making this game...
... and hopefully many expansions!!!  ;)

If spore was a song, it would be "What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong!
Spore has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men.

My sporepedia page
My gamingsteve creature page

Offline Beatnuki

• Scramble Skipper
  • Wilco Hex, reporting for duty!
    • View Profile
    • Beatnuki's Chunk of Funk (which seemed like a good idea at the time)
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2008, 12:30:15 pm »
Ooooh, I thought of another!

Spore lets me take doodles I did years ago and turn them into something I can play with tangibly. It's weird but thoroughly satisfying to see something you've drawn on a scrap of paper come to life and scuttle away/chug off to claim a spice node/dash into the cosmos.
If you peruse my things, you get POINTS!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Beatnuki

Only trouble is, they're Whose Line Is It Anyway points, which are infamously not worth anything.

Offline Lucky

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2008, 12:32:48 pm »
Thanks for this thread, all!

Helping restore my faith.

You guys rule.

-caryl

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2008, 12:38:11 pm »
Honestly, i love it all!
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2008, 12:40:26 pm »
Thanks for this thread, all!

Helping restore my faith.

You guys rule.

-caryl

i'd like to thank you for the trip you've taken me through for four years.

it's been great for me, even when the game isn't the perfect piece of game i thought it would be, to get to know this here forum just because of your game. i visit gaming steve every day, and i think i should thank you for this.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2008, 12:40:56 pm »
Well, I love the ability to mess around with the planets and terrasculpt them, I love exploring the galaxy, the editors, basically all of Spore. :)

Now if the pirates would just quit bugging me. :P

Offline vonboy

• Centipede Crackerjack
  • the tiniest evil thing known to man and willosaurs
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2008, 12:42:32 pm »
i like just getting in the editors and making ransom stuff, and then printing out pictures of the stuff i like the best, and showing them off to people at school who don't have the game yet.

i'm also thinking of just giving my full copy of the creature creator to someone at school, since i don't need it anymore. maybe they'll like it enough to go out and buy the full game :)
Quote from: ilikedirt
your spores are wack

Fatal Error: You're creature is crap. You're computer will now explode.

check out my sporepedia page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/vonboy

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2008, 12:44:16 pm »
I'm too busy taking care of university stuff to make a list, but I love it all so I don't need to make a list anyways  ;D
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2008, 01:03:04 pm »
yea well, I spent quite a while trying to terraform an iceball world in my system with purple spice (that has got to be an incredible bit of luck) with the limited tools at that point in my game. I only had the ice storm, meteor shower, and the atmosphere generator and atmosphere sucker, which were in limited availability.

I did manage to get it to a marginal T1 and plopped down a colony, but it keeps threatening to turn back into an iceball and starting a biological disaster of my own making. Considering that its in the cold zone, that planet is going to be a challenge to get to T3 and get it to stay there. I don't have the tools to get there, but eventually....

My point bieng is that I like mental challenges like that.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2008, 01:07:02 pm »
Let's never whine about anything again guys :')
the real saviour of this forum