Author Topic: Signs of Intelligence from Sporepedia?  (Read 5388 times)

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
Signs of Intelligence from Sporepedia?
« on: September 14, 2008, 08:59:45 pm »
The Sporepedia was supposed to be able to figure out what kind of stuff you like, and then download that type of content, sorta like Amazon recommendations.  Has anyone seen any sign that this is the case?

The sort of stuff it automatically downloads for me seems to have about the quality and coherence, of hitting Sporescope's "Random Creature" button.  I'm seeing no evidence that it is doing anything but downloading completely random items.  25-33% of the ships and buildings it downloads don't even have a texture, and it's not that uncommon to see a random stack of a few building or hull pieces.   I realize it would take time for such a pseudo intelligent system to accumulate enough data to get reasonably good, but i don't think there is anything going on beyond random choice.  Best case scenario is that they are still working on it, and it's not turned on yet.

Anybody heard any official word about this? 

Anybody think that it is doing more than downloading random stuff?

The junk it was downloading for me is a large part of the reason i'm turning to Sporecasts to pull together content i want to see, though  really i'd rather be surprised by something cool i didn't add to a sporecast, but that hasn't happened yet.

Offline MisterBibs

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
Re: Signs of Intelligence from Sporepedia?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 10:38:37 pm »
Seemingly random for me too, but I haven't blocked a lot. I've been surprised by a lot of creatures in the wild (I literally found a friend of mine's creation, didn't even know it was him or that he had Spore, heh.)

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 10:42:06 pm »
That was completely unworkable at this current time and was pulled sometime back in 06.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 11:37:22 pm »
I could have sworn i watched WW talk about such a system within the last few months....

Offline Lucky

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 12:16:22 am »
The guts to make this work are in the server-side code and not turned on currently.  We will turn it on after we have some time to analyze the (massive amounts of) data from the stuff that has been uploaded so far.

After we made Sporecasts and Buddies, most of the focus was on making it easier for the player to select their own content rather than us foisting what we thought they'd want on them.

When the online team stops spending 95% of their time dealing with the incredible site growth we'll hopefully start working on new features.

Will might have mentioned it - much of the work was done - but until we start crunching the data to find "the best" stuff, we won't turn it on.

-caryl

Offline SiestaGuru

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 12:17:11 am »
Maybe youve seen that 35 min vid again, afaik thats the only time he mentioned it. It would probably as hard to implement as it would be to remove tons of gameplay parts, so thats a easy choice for them.

Edit: Oi my post was just obliterated by caryl ;D And im glad it is.
My best stuff: http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=st-sc%3Assc-500079691379

Random stuff: http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-SiestaGuru|2263001209%3Assc-500036839043%3Aview-top_rated

Aircraft: http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-SiestaGuru|2263001209%3Assc-500020463820%3Aview-top_rated

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 04:09:47 am »
Sweet, glad to hear it Caryl :)

As long as it's in the works I'm a happy bunny, I can wait for a few patches ^_^
It's like that with most of my concerns about the game. I'm not really bothered by them as long as I know the devs are on it :)

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 07:07:47 am »
The guts to make this work are in the server-side code and not turned on currently.

Thanks for the info.

Offline Bellum

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 07:50:21 am »
Seems like 90% of the stuff in my galaxy is populated with comes either from me or my buddies, anyway. I'd actually prefer a more random experience, only the quality of the Sporepedia isn't that high right now. Tends to go up, though, the longer people play with the editors, so when everyone's had Spore awhile....

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 07:52:38 am »
I see soooo much of Smjjames's creations in my game its not funny. His creations are great, but I'd like to see things come from other players too.

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 10:49:14 am »
I see soooo much of Smjjames's creations in my game its not funny. His creations are great, but I'd like to see things come from other players too.
hah, same here! :P I'm also getting quite a bit of your stuff very often as well.

As Inevitable as Life Itself. Spread the Joy.

My Sporepedia page:
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Aligon

The Agnoculus:
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=7619.0

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 02:34:15 pm »
The guts to make this work are in the server-side code and not turned on currently.  We will turn it on after we have some time to analyze the (massive amounts of) data from the stuff that has been uploaded so far.

After we made Sporecasts and Buddies, most of the focus was on making it easier for the player to select their own content rather than us foisting what we thought they'd want on them.

When the online team stops spending 95% of their time dealing with the incredible site growth we'll hopefully start working on new features.

Will might have mentioned it - much of the work was done - but until we start crunching the data to find "the best" stuff, we won't turn it on.

-caryl

That's good to know. A recent quote by someone had said it was something that wasn't workable as originally planned and was scrapped. I think it was something Will had said. I (or the interviewer) probably just misconstrued what was said. It's good to know some sort of sorting system is there and waiting the on-switch.

Quick question, assuming you revisit this thread which isn't to likely, would this number crunching system also be able to (after adaptation and implementation) handle things like "stolen" creatures, questionable content, and more complex search parameters for the user? What I mean is, will it basically be able to partially (and probably very minimally) maintain the influx of new material and sort it in a way that a basic end-user would be able to search, cache, and download?
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline SporeKevin

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 02:55:45 pm »
That's your QUICK question?!  *falls over

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 02:56:44 pm »
That's your QUICK question?!  *falls over

Quick for me to type, probably not to read or answer though. :-p

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 02:58:25 pm »

-caryl

Any word on being able to vote thumbs up/down while playing in-game? I think the best time to let a player rate something is the moment they experience the content. Commenting in game is nice, but I want to toss a good rating to something I'm about to comment on. (or toss a bad rating at something I'm about to ban).

Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com