Author Topic: Things that bother you in the Spommunity.  (Read 4005 times)

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
Things that bother you in the Spommunity.
« on: September 14, 2008, 06:49:27 pm »
Since this section has been kind of a drag lately, what with the constant whining, the complaining, the ungrateful bickering, and the often venomous in-fighting, I figured we needed a lighter thread where we can poke fun at ourselves as a whole.

What bothers me is the people who call Creatures or Creations made in Spore "spores". It is usually our English-challenged friends who do this, but it is ANNOYING. They aren't Spores... they are a creature, with a name, and a soul.. well maybe not a soul but still. The name Spore comes from, or at least I assume it comes from, aspects of both the game and nature. Originally the Cell stage was about eating Spores and what not. Spore is also appropriate because our creations spread out into the world/galaxy/universe like spores in the wind. This is true both in the real world (with content sharing) and in the virtual world of Spore (what with the whole traversing your Planet and Space thing). Spore is the general idea and principle of the game, not the name of the creations made with it. That's what I think and I'm sticking to it. :-p

Another thing that bothers me... the 5 million threads about the same thing. Which can't really be helped because as soon as the mods fix it people complain and say "No this is different because of *insert one "tiny semantic that could be easily be corrected by changing the original title" here* difference!!11!11ONEELEVEN!EXCLAMATIONPOINT." You're thread, idea, and opinion aren't as unique as you'd like to think. Accept that.

The word I just made up to describe the Spore community bothers me.. and anyone who uses it from no one I will yell at.. in fact... I think I'll start with myself:

Me1: "HEY! YOU IDIOT! Don't make up stupid words to describe a small cross section/subset of people. Or at least don't make up such a stupid word you fat lazy sack of crap."

Me2: " Right away, sir. Quite right, sir. Sorry, sir. Yes, sir. May I have another, sir? I've been quite bad lately, sir. Should I get the Whipping Stick, sir?"

Me3: "Jolly Good."

Me1: "Freaks."

"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline Moogie

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that bother you in the Spommunity.
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 07:03:05 pm »
This is a pretty average community as far as I've seen so far - and, granted, I've not been around long. :]

What annoys me in many forums in general, is how so many people can't use "your/you're", "there/their/they're" and "were/where" correctly. Obviously, I understand the issue with non-native English users, but more often than not, it's native speakers who continually get these basic rules wrong, and more often than not, foreigners use English better than we do, which is a bit of a sad state. ;D

(Yes, your misuse of "you're thread" reminded me of that, but please don't take it as a personal dig at you. :P)

Offline Praetyre

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 07:06:35 pm »
Frankly, I'm sick to death of the whole DRM/SecuROM thing. For some reason, the Internet tends to attract extremists on these issues. My complaints with Spore are more my own wants for an "Adult Edition" (not some sort of voyeuristic thing, but more one with the stuff that would only really appeal to the "cuteness" market removed, like single celled organisms with eyes or the seeming vampirism of every critter in the Milky Way).
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 07:09:11 pm by Praetyre »

Offline Null

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 07:11:05 pm »
I like gerbils. But marmots are also an awesome rodent because they are so huge!11one

Gamingsteve is the best, when spore comes out we will all have a giant gamingstevesporecast where everyone is included, and it will have so many subscribers because we rock so much, yeh.

I thought it was silly fun?

And I love how gamingsteve himself has fallen off the edge of the earth and not even mentioned or reviewed spore.

Offline Ittiz

• Wizard of Wor
  • Horned Hopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 07:32:44 pm »
I like gerbils. But marmots are also an awesome rodent because they are so huge!11one

Gamingsteve is the best, when spore comes out we will all have a giant gamingstevesporecast where everyone is included, and it will have so many subscribers because we rock so much, yeh.

And I love how gamingsteve himself has fallen off the edge of the earth and not even mentioned or reviewed spore.

LOL, they are probably too busy playing it!

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 05:05:07 am »
Meh, I don't think it's all that bad.
A lot of the things many see as whining is actually more constructive criticism. There ARE whines around, but all things considered they are to be expected and actually there's not as many as I'd have thought there would be.

Compared to other Spommunities *bends over for a spanking* this one is still fairly mild mannered, and I think most of our discussions take place at a fairly civilized level :)

...I may have been desensitized from reading the WoW forums though, that's entirely possible. Man, if you think there's whining HERE... :P

I agree that we could use a few more lighthearted threads though :)

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 05:12:54 am »
What annoys me in many forums in general, is how so many people can't use "your/you're", "there/their/they're" and "were/where" correctly. Obviously, I understand the issue with non-native English users, but more often than not, it's native speakers who continually get these basic rules wrong, and more often than not, foreigners use English better than we do, which is a bit of a sad state. ;D

(Yes, your misuse of "you're thread" reminded me of that, but please don't take it as a personal dig at you. :P)
Just so you know, I tend to do this because I type fast. I know how to use the words correctly and what they mean. So please, don't lecture me, I hope you're not the one who did it at the Spore forum. ;)

Steve has a life and a family and a very busy job. All of this was a hobby and he does maintain this website for us to use. It uses alot of bandwidth and alot of money so he is still with us behind the scenes.

We do have a Gaming Steve Sporecast: http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=usr-LadyM|2262838189%3Assc-500012804764
*yes I know you were being sarcastic*

What bothers me? This has actually been on my mind for a few days.

1. Trolls who can't say anything nice about the game and has to tell us all how much it sucks.
2. People who complain but don't add anything positive about the game.
3. New people who create new threads without searching for the older ones.
4. DRM talk
5. Piracy talk
6. The forum seems to have turned into a bunch of whiners.

That's just a few, the overall negativity has really been getting to me and frankly I'm tired of it. I've played the game now and I've found so much to be happy about. I'm sitting here craving to go back to space to mine spice and make money. I feel so much empathy for the Caryl and her team right now, I know she is feeling depressed and tired. To put all this work into this project and all anyone can do is complain. It's pretty disgusting to me, especially from this community. We've been here supporting the project from the beginning, we should continue to support the team and help them.

Offline Beatnuki

• Scramble Skipper
  • Wilco Hex, reporting for duty!
    • View Profile
    • Beatnuki's Chunk of Funk (which seemed like a good idea at the time)
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 05:17:06 am »
I agree that we could use a few more lighthearted threads though :)

I thought about starting a Okay, so what do you actually LIKE bout Spore? thread, since there is a lot to like and I have a habit of being consistently chirpy here that even I find annoying. Like my tendency to put the big smiley at the end of my own opening paragraphs.  ;D

And yes, WoW forums get pretty whiny. "Why did you make my class do two less points of damage?! Damn you Blizzard and your nerfy ways!"

But yeah, I'm not entirely convinced a Spore-celebration thread would go down well. Not because you're miserly or anything, guys; I mean, I've been here years, I wouldn't have stuck around if you weren't good people; but more because there's a lot of this stuff people need to vent and get out of their system. Once that's over, acceptance of the game for what it is (and even I got swept away a bit, the hype and the demos made it look like more than it actually is, though it still is a wonderful title in my opinion) will hopefully ensue.

My only real bugbear/trigger is when people insist that the Fabled 2005 Demo wasn't a cartoon. I totally see where they're coming from, but it tends to make me spout stuff repeatedly about Warcraft and Beyond Good And Evil and the Wii Zelda and suchlike and might start off my headaches. Or at the very least clog up the forum.

Which is something I'm good at.  ::)
If you peruse my things, you get POINTS!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Beatnuki

Only trouble is, they're Whose Line Is It Anyway points, which are infamously not worth anything.

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 05:24:02 am »
Mmm, do I think we've had more than enough threads about piracy and DRM now to last us a whine - sorry did I say whine? I meant a while ;D
It's a hot potato and people jump it at the slightest chance (please don't take this thread too).

As for the spelling thing I'm the same as both LadyM and Moogie :P I HATE seeing it because I know how it's supposed to be (and I'm totally anal), but I also find myself doing it due to speedtyping rather than ignorance. So I've just stopped pestering people about it long ago ;)

As I said above however I don't think the forum is all whine. It's natural that there is a lot of bug talk, and we do have a lot of suggestions to take up.
That said, we also need more posts about the cool stuff we see, but I am noticing them creeping in so I think it will right itself (a bit at least) :)

Mostly though I think the problem is that the people who are having problems are outspoken (in general), the ones who aren't... are too busy playing Spore :P I never post here on weekends for example, because that's my Spore time ^^
I post from work! ;D

EDIT: Also - what Beatnuki said.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 05:25:51 am by Necrox »

Offline LadyM

• View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 05:26:31 am »
I was thinking of doing the same thing, about what you do like about the game. Mostly because I think the Dev team should know what did work, what we did like and what were having with. These are real people behind this game.

Think about it this scenario.. you worked on your science project for six months. You think you did a great job and you're very proud of it. You take it to the Science Fair and set up and proudly stand behind it. Then, people walk up and point out all the flaws. One after the other, they each find something wrong with it, not one person had anything good to say. At the end of the day, you feel broken and depressed. Scenario could go with anything you worked on for a long time and were proud of creating. Each of us carrys that inside so the Maxis team isn't any different. This was they're baby for 5 years. They put they're souls into it and all we've done here is complain.

I think I will make that thread. There was a post by Caryl that really got to me and since I met her in person, I can see her face and it bothers me that she is depressed.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 05:28:08 am »
Well, I know people want to support the game. That's why they're still hanging around despite their complaints.
I find it really lame that a lot of folks have decided to do nothing but complain though. There are contributions to be made.
If you don't like tribal, you come up with ideas as to how to fix it. What exactly do you want to see?

Now is as important a time to the game's future as ever.
I can understand some of you guys being wicked tired of all this BS surrounding gaming these days.
That's why it pays to have other things to do too. Keep the playtime hours normal and you'll just enjoy it all more.

Besides, you're not doing yourself much good dwelling on all these problems.
Buck up.

You'll live.  :-*
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Crowster

• Defender Devotee
  • It's Crow-Time, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • The Adventures of Crow-Man
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 05:49:38 am »
DRM talk, I'm not even sure why it's still tolerated here. Why isn't all the DRM talk being contained in one thread? I think it's a big enough problem that it'd be a welcome rule.

You know, I knew people were going to whine constantly about Spore. I am so used to being a fan of these games that are met with disappointment or negativity. I sat there waving my wiimote when everyone considered it "gimmicky and childish." I played Assassin's Creed through 3 times and still never got tired with it. Heck, I used to be an admin at an Animal Crossing forum. It seems WHENEVER I get really into a game, someone has to swoop in and tell me why I shouldn't like it.

With Spore, I knew it'd be disappointing. People were expecting too much.

Sure, there are a few small gripes I have with Spore. Small, non-issues that I would change if I could, as well as the one big "space phase was killed" complaint (which, by the way, I found is easily fixed by simply playing on EASY. Seriously, I highly recommend it), but, you know, I didn't let my imagination run wild these 3 and a half years.

I've always had a motto when it came to games, and I think more people should adopt it. "Don't hate the game for what it isn't, enjoy it for what it is." I suppose that can be applied to more than just games, even. Sure, if you are disappointed with something, suggestions should be made, but don't let the fact that something didn't meet your full expectations stop you from enjoying what's there.

Pointing out the negatives is one thing, but the dwelling ... that's what I wish would stop. Spore is an amazing game when you look at what's there instead of what's not.

Offline LadyM

• View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 05:56:21 am »
Insert Quote
DRM talk, I'm not even sure why it's still tolerated here. Why isn't all the DRM talk being contained in one thread? I think it's a big enough problem that it'd be a welcome rule.
Mostly because I've been avoiding alot of threads so I don't spoil my game. Now that I've played for a few days I'm going to be merging and cleaning up the threads.

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 05:58:53 am »
So now we have a thread whining about whines? ;D
Sorry, couldn't resist.

It's a good outlook Crow, and I personally try to do the same. However I find that I can be hard to tell when you've been heard, and I think the uncertainty compels people to repeat - particularly when you hear statements from WW such as the one that they haven't had any consistent feedback. Doesn't exactly encourage you to be less vocal ;)

But I think we've come to a consensus that more whines is bad, and more positive game experiences is good. So why don't we go out and share some of ours instead?