Author Topic: Bizarre Things in Spore  (Read 24363 times)

Offline Zamaza

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Daydreaming at Night
    • View Profile
Re: Bizarre Things in Spore
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 07:52:10 pm »
You mean everyone doesn't normally have 4-6 epics on their starting planet?...

hmm...

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 07:55:13 pm »

hmm...

Most i have had is 4.

Normally i have about 3.

Once i had 0..i was sad... :'(

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 08:35:39 pm »
I remember there being 2 on my continent at civ phase they were killed by various nations int he game. 1 of them was by my nation but to be fair it was attacking my city but to be totally unfair I was using the fact it was attacking the city as a distraction that allowed me to take the city and convert it to me. At which point the epic have about 5 health left and died rather quickly.

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 02:13:50 am »
I rarely find any epics, do planets have to be T3 to support epics?

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline Ondaderthad

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • Area32 - Westgate Builders
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2008, 10:41:36 am »

As for that 8-bit game music... yep, very cool. If I'm not mistaken, it's the theme song for M.U.L.E, a classic life simulator game which must have influenced Spore. I'm not old enough to be familiar with M.U.L.E. or other classic games of its time, but after recently finding out about it, I think that's where the music comes from. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I am old enough to remember it.

listen to The Music of M.U.L.E (Multiple Use Labor Element) By Dani Bunten.

M.U.L.E was an early EA game and Will Wright in 2000 dedicated The Sims to Bunten (1949-1998)

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2008, 10:45:06 am »
Yesterday i ran into a hostile alien race that was flying my current flagship!

I've complained about how the signature content of the current game you are playing gets spread around in a confusing way, but, as some have said, you can argue that its part of the story, and makes the game more fun.

But duplicating the player's spaceship IMHO crosses a line to unambiguously bad.  There's no meta-explanation about an alien abducting your spaceship in the past.  Chances are you just designed that spaceship a little while ago.

But the main complaint is that dogfights are confusing enough already with all the explosions, quick-moving ships etc.  When i'm in a mass of ships all of which look exactly like mine, it's not possible to know what's going on.

Offline Martham112

• Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2008, 10:51:50 am »

As for that 8-bit game music... yep, very cool. If I'm not mistaken, it's the theme song for M.U.L.E, a classic life simulator game which must have influenced Spore. I'm not old enough to be familiar with M.U.L.E. or other classic games of its time, but after recently finding out about it, I think that's where the music comes from. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

M.U.L.E was an early EA game and Will Wright in 2000 dedicated The Sims to Bunten (1949-1998)

Thank you so much! Added to my iTunes.

Offline Beatnuki

• Scramble Skipper
  • Wilco Hex, reporting for duty!
    • View Profile
    • Beatnuki's Chunk of Funk (which seemed like a good idea at the time)
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2008, 11:30:08 am »

Thank you so much! Added to my iTunes.

Me too! Thanks for the link, that's fantastic. It's surprisingly epic for an 8bit tune, I bet it'd sound awesome as a fully modernised orchestral theme.

Now let's see if I can work out the notes and turn it into a mini-Spore anthem....  ::)

Anyway! I had a bizarre happening last night. The Grox trashed my homeworld, literally wiped every city of it, was heartbreaking; as the last city vanished in a cataclysmic explosion, the com button thingy began to flash, showing an incoming message. I expected it to be the leader of my planet wailing in anguish; "Oh, you fool, you fool!!! Your late arrival and craptacular combat abilities have cost us the very planet we call home. NICE ONE, DUDE, REAL QUALITY THERE."

But no, I instead get the generic, "Hey, thanks, we couldn't have done it without you!" congratulatory message, because the game recognised the Grox as leaving (they had nothing left to obliterate) and assumed I'd driven them away. It was kind of bizarre.
If you peruse my things, you get POINTS!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Beatnuki

Only trouble is, they're Whose Line Is It Anyway points, which are infamously not worth anything.

Offline Telluric

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2008, 11:36:16 am »

Is there any way to pick up epics and collect them in Space stage?

Monster Island!
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little." - George Carlin

Offline Elyanna

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Spore Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2008, 11:38:47 am »

Monster Island!

There's a tool to make creatures epic.
My spore profile: http://www.spore.com/view/profile/elyanna
I like to make plausible creatures.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2008, 11:39:32 am »

Monster Island!

No, BUT you can get a tool to make creatures Epic. Abduct normal creatures, make them Epic and watch them fight to the death a la "King of Monsters".
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Captain Indigo

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2008, 01:33:26 pm »
Okay, listen to this. I just got to Civ Stage with one creature, and at the begginig of the phase I go with the camera around to take a look at my world. And i find one epic creature. And another. And even another.

I just counted SIX EPIC CREATURES on my planet AT THE SAME TIME! Is that normal?

No, that's awesome.

Heh, just conquered the planet as a religious civ with the help of the epics. They followed my religious Zeppelins and wrecked 3 enemy cities.

God, I got so pissed off with an epic in civ stage - it had 3000 health, and just sat it one of my cities, destroying anything I built there. And for some reason, I couldn't attack it as it was inside my city walls.

;_;

Anyway! I had a bizarre happening last night. The Grox trashed my homeworld, literally wiped every city of it, was heartbreaking; as the last city vanished in a cataclysmic explosion, the com button thingy began to flash, showing an incoming message. I expected it to be the leader of my planet wailing in anguish; "Oh, you fool, you fool!!! Your late arrival and craptacular combat abilities have cost us the very planet we call home. NICE ONE, DUDE, REAL QUALITY THERE."

I just ignore my homeplanet - if it gets destroyed, a new city is automatically made, and it barely produces any spice anyway.

^^Click^^

Offline Parkaboy

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2008, 03:34:00 pm »
Well, my bizarre game strikes back.

Remember the planet with 6 epics on civ stage? Well, that species got to space, and started to explore.

First I found a system where a planet was on an irregular orbit, really close to its sun. Almost touching it, even.

Then when I get the mission to contact other species, I find that there's NOT A SINGLE SPACEFARING ALIEN in about 20 parsecs. I found 5 or 6 tribal species, but nobody on the space stage.

Funny thing is, I got the achievement for playing quickly through the tribal stage, I wonder if I got to space too soon? Lol, I think I'll wipe out those little tribals and rule this sector all by myself.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2008, 04:21:30 pm »
Then when I get the mission to contact other species, I find that there's NOT A SINGLE SPACEFARING ALIEN in about 20 parsecs. I found 5 or 6 tribal species, but nobody on the space stage.

This has almost been the norm for me. I think it has to do with random luck and how far down the Galactic Arm you're planet is.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Pietoro

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2008, 04:44:17 pm »
Well, my bizarre game strikes back.

Remember the planet with 6 epics on civ stage? Well, that species got to space, and started to explore.

First I found a system where a planet was on an irregular orbit, really close to its sun. Almost touching it, even.

Funny thing is, I got the achievement for playing quickly through the tribal stage, I wonder if I got to space too soon? Lol, I think I'll wipe out those little tribals and rule this sector all by myself.

Wow, that's actually really awesome. No fear of attacks, and you can pick and choose the best planets!
"Ooh rabba la dee teeb, ooh babba labba squeeb!"