Author Topic: Bizarre Things in Spore  (Read 24354 times)

Offline Butterfly Knight

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
Bizarre Things in Spore
« on: September 13, 2008, 11:35:17 pm »
I noticed that, if you go into the Sporepedia and search everything for the Yoyo creature, it looks alot like a red Grox with a bigger head, horns, and no space stuff.

Its really wierd in my opinion because he's insanely similar with those changes.

Another bizarre thing. I don't know if its me, or other people have seen it too, but alot of stuff in spore is kind of.. creepy. I've been extremely paranoid about deep water for years, and when I swam out into the sea only to get eaten by a gigantic green fish.. I nearly ALT+4'd because it just freaked me out so hard even though it was unintentional. There has been a few times in Spore where a random thing just sent a shiver in me. Maybe its just me.. Anyone else had a similar experience?

Offline Gzillafan1

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
Re: Bizarre Things in Spore
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 12:45:52 am »
Well,I've had chills from breath-taking experiences and "omg run" experiences.There was this ugly epic...I mean really ugly.I subscribed to a certain Sporecast,one with ugly,realistic things and this thing was a walking muscle/meat wad.It was a pale pink and bloody,no arms,no legs,just a blob, and very tall for an epic.The scariest part was when I was heading for a large jungle for cover, it reard back and its entire body mass came within inches of crashing down on me.

Offline Logan Felipe

• Ultima Lord
  • SAND JABBA!
    • View Profile
    • Personal World Clock
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 12:48:38 am »
Well,I've had chills from breath-taking experiences and "omg run" experiences.There was this ugly epic...I mean really ugly.I subscribed to a certain Sporecast,one with ugly,realistic things and this thing was a walking muscle/meat wad.It was a pale pink and bloody,no arms,no legs,just a blob, and very tall for an epic.The scariest part was when I was heading for a large jungle for cover, it reard back and its entire body mass came within inches of crashing down on me.

My god; an epic terrestrial Blobfish!

That's enough to make anyone squirm...
Spore! Star Wars! Dinosaurs!
Fanfic!

I blame what I call the Scopes Law (When discussing evolution in the presence of a creationist, the discussion always becomes a religious debate).

Offline Beatnuki

• Scramble Skipper
  • Wilco Hex, reporting for duty!
    • View Profile
    • Beatnuki's Chunk of Funk (which seemed like a good idea at the time)
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 05:59:19 am »
I went on a mad escapade of wormhole-hopping a couple of days ago (and somehow actually amanged to get back home, was a big adventure!).

But every time I zoomed into the black hole, I felt this tremendous sense of unease and apprehension, even though I knew it'd just lead to the swoopy tunnel cutscene I love so much. I don't know why, but the initial jump into the maw of the singularity seems to give me the jitters.

Which is just ridiculous!
If you peruse my things, you get POINTS!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Beatnuki

Only trouble is, they're Whose Line Is It Anyway points, which are infamously not worth anything.

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 06:07:00 am »
I went on a mad escapade of wormhole-hopping a couple of days ago (and somehow actually amanged to get back home, was a big adventure!).

But every time I zoomed into the black hole, I felt this tremendous sense of unease and apprehension, even though I knew it'd just lead to the swoopy tunnel cutscene I love so much. I don't know why, but the initial jump into the maw of the singularity seems to give me the jitters.

Which is just ridiculous!

Actually, considering what a black hole ACTUALLY does in real life, that isn't so ridiculous at all  :P
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline Beatnuki

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 06:13:48 am »
Actually, considering what a black hole ACTUALLY does in real life, that isn't so ridiculous at all  :P

Well, that's very true. But I already know it's a wormhole, not a black hole. I guess my brain just can't get past the whole "it's-supposed-to-go-slurp-slurp-aaaaaargh-pop" thing.

Also, one or two of the space empires I've met have had these really squeaky voices that sound like talking being played backwards. It's mildly creepy, because they're usually cute or have the eyes with big eyelashes, making them seem akin to satanic Easter bunnies or something.

On the subject of space empire noises, though, anyone else really love it when you open a trade window with certain empires and you get that kind of adventurous-8-bit-game song? I leave the trade window open as long as I can to listen to that one.  ;D

Only trouble is, they're Whose Line Is It Anyway points, which are infamously not worth anything.

Offline rustybrazenfire

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 08:38:29 am »
Bizarre comes naturally with Spore.  From creepy to cute to realisitc, you'll see it all.

To me this makes it a very Douglas Adams universe.  I mean, if you explore enough planets you'll eventually find a species that looks like something.  I've run into inanimate objects walking around and eating Earth species, for example.

Offline Moogie

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 08:51:45 am »
I was going to post this in a new thread, but it's kinda insignificant, and I guess it'll fit here.

I found a cute/silly blooper in one of the game files.

option OptionTutorialsEnabled
   # Whoever put this in -- if you are setting
   # an app property below, the app property needs
   # to be defined. I defined it for you, and then
   # it seems to have been removed again. So I'm
   # commenting out these to avoid the error messages.
    setting $Off
        # boolProp ShowTutorials false
    setting $On
        # boolProp ShowTutorials true
end

Programmer infighting? ;D I don't know, it just made me 'lol'.

Offline Beatnuki

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 09:04:43 am »
Haha! That's kind of like the kind of note you'd find on a fridge in a shared apartment.

"Okay, look, I know one of you guys took my sandwich, it was in a brown paper bag and I was saving it for when I got back from work. I don't want to start throwing accusations at anyone, but I do take the theft of my sandwiches rather seriously. Are we really going to have to start labelling things with our names?"

To me this makes it a very Douglas Adams universe.  I mean, if you explore enough planets you'll eventually find a species that looks like something.  I've run into inanimate objects walking around and eating Earth species, for example.

I find that as well, and it's one of the things I really like about the game. I also like that the rampant copyright infringement means it's the ultimate crossover universe; just the other day I played a tribal game with Lemmings and the first tribe I encountered was a group of Yoshis.  ;D

Offline Zaefyr

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
    • Zaefyr's Spore Page
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 09:06:20 am »
Also, one or two of the space empires I've met have had these really squeaky voices that sound like talking being played backwards. It's mildly creepy, because they're usually cute or have the eyes with big eyelashes, making them seem akin to satanic Easter bunnies or something.

On the subject of space empire noises, though, anyone else really love it when you open a trade window with certain empires and you get that kind of adventurous-8-bit-game song? I leave the trade window open as long as I can to listen to that one.  ;D

LOL, I like listening to the voices. I personally don't find them disturbing, just amusingly strange at times. I like listening to the synthesizer voices of Shaman empires. It's just plain weird.

As for that 8-bit game music... yep, very cool. If I'm not mistaken, it's the theme song for M.U.L.E, a classic life simulator game which must have influenced Spore. I'm not old enough to be familiar with M.U.L.E. or other classic games of its time, but after recently finding out about it, I think that's where the music comes from. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline Logan Felipe

• Ultima Lord
  • SAND JABBA!
    • View Profile
    • Personal World Clock
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 09:08:40 am »
Bizarre comes naturally with Spore.  From creepy to cute to realisitc, you'll see it all.

Lets just hope the matresses are thoroughly killed, or we're all DOOMED. ;)
Spore! Star Wars! Dinosaurs!
Fanfic!

I blame what I call the Scopes Law (When discussing evolution in the presence of a creationist, the discussion always becomes a religious debate).

Offline Parkaboy

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 04:10:53 pm »
Okay, listen to this. I just got to Civ Stage with one creature, and at the begginig of the phase I go with the camera around to take a look at my world. And i find one epic creature. And another. And even another.

I just counted SIX EPIC CREATURES on my planet AT THE SAME TIME! Is that normal?

Offline Hyfrydle

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 04:15:06 pm »
I've come across three epics on one of my planets so I guess more is possible but probably quite rare.

Offline Elyanna

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Spore Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 04:18:16 pm »
Okay, listen to this. I just got to Civ Stage with one creature, and at the begginig of the phase I go with the camera around to take a look at my world. And i find one epic creature. And another. And even another.

I just counted SIX EPIC CREATURES on my planet AT THE SAME TIME! Is that normal?

No, that's awesome.
My spore profile: http://www.spore.com/view/profile/elyanna
I like to make plausible creatures.

Offline Parkaboy

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 05:46:00 pm »

No, that's awesome.

Heh, just conquered the planet as a religious civ with the help of the epics. They followed my religious Zeppelins and wrecked 3 enemy cities.