Author Topic: Another reason to avoid alliances....  (Read 8815 times)

Offline Rusted

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
Another reason to avoid alliances....
« on: September 13, 2008, 03:41:40 pm »
I was one of the people promoting the idea of alliances, if for no other reason than the extras ships.  I found them handy, regrettably not because the opponents were hard, but because manually aiming is a pain in the butt, so the allies are great for nuking those pirates that you can't target in close range without pausing.

I was willing to accept the fact that an alliance meant I would have to hold that races hand like a  midget with downs trying to cross the autobahn.

I was willing to accept the fact after this hand holding they still got mad if one of their weak puny little ships got killed in combat (what do they even do with their ships, sure as heck not defend)

I was willing to accept that they sit like sloths on Dramamine even when getting laser blasted in the face if I wasn't actively shooting every instant. (I.e. bombing runs)

I was willing to accept that it would take ten tries to pick something up from a planet anytime they're with me because they run interference on the tractor beam.

What I would ask they not do is block my 250k a pop anti matter missiles and bombs. Cause that seems to be one area of the game where collision detection is working like a champ.

Actually you know what maxis, I'll compromise, let them be able to run into my bombs and missiles just like they do now, but make them blow up.  AT least then they''d only do it once.

Less and less I feel that the mechanics of the constant raiding are the problem, but the actual annoyance is space combat is pretty spamtasticly off.

Post Script:  In the interest of saying something nice, as I do love the game still, I recently found that I can use my empire A to totally terraform my empire B's planets... AND HAVE THEM LOVE ME FOR IT!  Very cool interaction between player controlled races.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 03:44:47 pm by Rusted »

Terraforming. 
Turning dirt, forming.
Turning dirt; forming.
Terraforming.

Rusted -Sporepedia Name and Link
PM if you add me, I'll return the favor.

Offline BigBadWolf

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Another reason to avoid alliances....
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 12:57:07 pm »
My alliances are the only reason my race is still alive! After being attacked by 2 strong empires when I had only 2 planets I payed my allies to destroy the attackers. I live in harmony ever since.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 06:09:00 pm »
you don't have to have those ships in your posse, so most of those problems are solved. It really depends on your playstyle though.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 06:11:28 pm »
For some reason, the ultra-tough warrior race that I went to war with, made surrender, make happier and ally with has ships made of pure cardboard.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 07:37:17 pm »
Removing a ship from your posse doesn't break or harm (I think) the alliance because I did just that in my game when I made allies with a scientist race (the Space Chihuawas, lol) when they offered it up because I wanted a buffer between a Zealot race that was nearby and me. Doesn't stop those guys from demanding tribute though.

Offline Plasmodia

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 07:58:29 pm »
I find, that avoiding gameplay is the funnest way to play spore. I'm just starting new games and creating 1 planet empires, and having fun with just content creation. When I get a good dispersion of empires, and a favorite race to play with, I might ally them all up.

Offline Zoston

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 11:32:31 pm »
My alliances are the only reason my race is still alive! After being attacked by 2 strong empires when I had only 2 planets I payed my allies to destroy the attackers. I live in harmony ever since.
Yup, same here. The main use of allies imho is to use them as buffers and pay them off to conquer the warlike races for you, if I couldn't do that I'd just be stuck in an eternal loop of constantly having to defeat new warlike empires that come up to replace old ones. As is I can maintain a peacefull status quo around me while I just do my thing (and ignoring pirate raids most of the time.)

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 03:45:35 am »
Yeah, every empire next to me has a blue face. Why? Because: They won't ask me to save them, they won't annoy me, our alliance wouldn't break down because of negligence and the list goes on.

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
  • Discovered the "everything syndrome."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 03:54:28 am »
abother reason if youre like me going for all the badges (even though there seems to be no achivement past 100 for them), yjru give you oppurtunities for defend a friend, and eco hero fixing planets, qhich is taking me forever, as well as all the trade routes.
I survived the flood of 2008 and all I got was this crappy homelessness.

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 04:38:52 am »
I enjoy alliances.

...but I really really don't enjoy friendly fire, as the OP described. I don't enjoy that it's hard to target the right thing in the middle of a battle (often you end up hitting defenders), and that your ships get in the way, and I MOST CERTAINLY do not enjoy sending creatures (+plants, money stacks, aliens) in orbit constantly because allied ships move into my abduction beam.
I mean come on, what the...? Why would that beam even register those ships (from a gameplay point of view) since it can't affect them in any way?

Has anyone ever tried that beam on an opponent btw? I'm thinking there MUST be some use for it (maybe slowing them down?) since it can target ships and constantly mess up my abductions.

Offline spiritofcat

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Ta-da!
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 07:25:31 am »
My first species that reached space allied with everyone they could, and now I constantly get messages from my allies asking me to help them because they're being attacked by my other allies. The messages usually come in pairs, like "The Bingfish empire is being attacked by the Goomba empire" and "The Goomba empire is being attacked by the Bingfish empire". I dare not intervene because I don't want to attack any of my allies. They're all friends with me, why can't they get along with eachother?

I've had the abduction beam get derailed by allied ships too. Very annoying.

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 07:30:00 am »
My first species that reached space allied with everyone they could, and now I constantly get messages from my allies asking me to help them because they're being attacked by my other allies. The messages usually come in pairs, like "The Bingfish empire is being attacked by the Goomba empire" and "The Goomba empire is being attacked by the Bingfish empire". I dare not intervene because I don't want to attack any of my allies. They're all friends with me, why can't they get along with eachother?

I've had the abduction beam get derailed by allied ships too. Very annoying.
Doing that eventrually results in the attacked ally slowly becoming your enemy the more you ignore them.

Offline SporeKevin

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 01:23:56 pm »
One side benefit of alliances seems to be that if they get into a war with someone (maybe even a mutual enemy <cough cough, oops, my fault>), they may get attacked and lose their colonies on a planet.  This allows me to go in and attack the aggressor, take over the colonies, and now have a system that I wouldn't have had before without paying a lot for from the ally (assuming they ever offered it).   I'm slowly filling out my collection of systems this way in a rather painless way.

Offline Elyanna

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Spore Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 01:40:09 pm »
Personally, I like allies. I ignore their cries for help unless I'm in the area and bored. I've made at least 20 alliances in one game. Of course, I've lost some of those, because some allies are more high-maintenance than others. But I try to keep everyone around me at a blue-face or better. I don't like wars.

Though I will say that Spode-followers are the most annoying neighbors.
My spore profile: http://www.spore.com/view/profile/elyanna
I like to make plausible creatures.

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 04:47:50 pm »
Yeah, and spode worshippers are like 50% of the neighbours.