Author Topic: Working on a Spore Story Site - Feedback Needed  (Read 3143 times)

Offline WeAreLegion

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
    • View Profile
    • Noigel's Art
Working on a Spore Story Site - Feedback Needed
« on: September 12, 2008, 08:06:25 pm »
Please take a look and give some feedback on the site I am building for my first creatures and their home system!  Nothing big now, just working out the look and layout.

It's only one page so it might take you 5 minutes to check it out:

http://web.me.com/dhartnett/Site_2/Blank.html

The Seta Empire thanks you!! :)

Offline Harlander

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Working on a Spore Story Site - Feedback Needed
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 01:41:26 am »
Please take a look and give some feedback on the site I am building for my first creatures and their home system!  Nothing big now, just working out the look and layout.

That's pretty neat, yeah. Nice use of planet avatars ;)
This is a public service announcement.

Lose: (v. intr) to fail to retain, preserve, maintain, sth.; to be defeated
Loose: (adj.) not firm, taut or rigid; free (v. intr) to make loose, undo

"If the guy-ropes are loose we'll lose the sail."
"Let loose the dogs of war! We will not lose!"
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?"

Offline Hyfrydle

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 02:33:13 am »
Very cool we need more sites like this the ingame story telling tools are woefully inadequate.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 02:40:48 am »
This is very cool. I have been thinking about doing a Spore story as well.

Offline Rusted

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 02:51:09 am »
So hawt.... I'd totally do your site ;p
Terraforming. 
Turning dirt, forming.
Turning dirt; forming.
Terraforming.

Rusted -Sporepedia Name and Link
PM if you add me, I'll return the favor.

Offline Beatnuki

• Scramble Skipper
  • Wilco Hex, reporting for duty!
    • View Profile
    • Beatnuki's Chunk of Funk (which seemed like a good idea at the time)
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 07:33:28 pm »
That looks really good so far, Legion!  :D

I was hoping Spore would have a little photo album kind of thingy like the Sims has, but no dice. I used to like making spoofy news stories in that about the goings-on in my neighbourhood. [shameless_plug] http://thesims2.ea.com/exchange/story_detail.php?asset_id=192313 [/shameless_plug]

I'm clueless about web design, but.....is there any way you could kind of expand this idea? I mean, back in 2006 with the demonstration alongside Brian Eno, Will Wright was talking about a Multiverse Report that told you about how many people had killed your creature or befriended it and so on. Yet in the game, you just get three little sentences in Sporepedia.  :-\

What I'm driving at here though is....is there a way you could make that layout into a kind of template? Where you have the solar system view at the top and we can add our own planets in the boxes underneath? That way, we could collaboratively combine the stories of our own home systems and have our own kind of miniature Gamingsteve collaborative multiverse story thingy.  :D We could use the templates, fill in the blanks, and then have a bunch of pages dedicated to our systems.

It's just an idea though, what you have is already pretty awesome. The spinning planets look great! I'm glad the community is working on backstories. I tried to do a Vemnix one in the Mashon comic thingy but it got so fiddly and sluggish from my slow connection I gave up.
If you peruse my things, you get POINTS!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Beatnuki

Only trouble is, they're Whose Line Is It Anyway points, which are infamously not worth anything.

Offline BinaryDigit

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 08:09:26 pm »
... back in 2006 with the demonstration alongside Brian Eno, Will Wright was talking about a Multiverse Report that told you about how many people had killed your creature or befriended it and so on. Yet in the game, you just get three little sentences in Sporepedia.  :-\

I too was looking forward to this aspect of Spore.  These three sentences you refer to, where can I find them?  What sort of information is provided?

Thanks in advance. 

Offline Beatnuki

• Scramble Skipper
  • Wilco Hex, reporting for duty!
    • View Profile
    • Beatnuki's Chunk of Funk (which seemed like a good idea at the time)
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 08:18:13 pm »
... back in 2006 with the demonstration alongside Brian Eno, Will Wright was talking about a Multiverse Report that told you about how many people had killed your creature or befriended it and so on. Yet in the game, you just get three little sentences in Sporepedia.  :-\

I too was looking forward to this aspect of Spore.  These three sentences you refer to, where can I find them?  What sort of information is provided?

Thanks in advance. 

I'm referring to the Events in the Sporepedia, on your Myspore page. It says things like '(PlayerName) changed their avatar' or '(Playername) befriended the (Creature) species', and i had a fun one once that said '(Playername) has epicized Lemming' (one of my creations based on the 90s puzzle game of the same name). So it's a nifty little heads-up, but only shows three events, which may not be too relevant to your own experience. I was hoping for reams of geeky stats I could lose myself for weeks in.  ;D
If you peruse my things, you get POINTS!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Beatnuki

Only trouble is, they're Whose Line Is It Anyway points, which are infamously not worth anything.

Offline Ondaderthad

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • Area32 - Westgate Builders
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 09:17:11 pm »

It's only one page so it might take you 5 minutes to check it out:

http://web.me.com/dhartnett/Site_2/Blank.html

The Seta Empire thanks you!! :)

Nice Layout. The only problem I found is the page is called Blank. And that name appears also on the top bar of the browser.  (not that important but a better description should make your pages easier to find in google for example)

I also tried to convert my website to a Spore site.
Area32 a spore fansite
But it's a lot of works with no specialized tools to do it.

You can collect screenshots and videos while playing but they are in png format (very large) and have to be converted to jpg then uploaded before being of any use.

It is difficult to keep track of other creature names unless you take notes on paper while playing (not much fun)

Your Spore page on maxis website has a newsfeed but it's not very useful since it only list your creature descriptions and main file.

Offline WeAreLegion

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
    • View Profile
    • Noigel's Art
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 05:16:20 am »
That looks really good so far, Legion!  :D

I was hoping Spore would have a little photo album kind of thing like the Sims has, but no dice. I used to like making spoofy news stories in that about the goings-on in my neighbourhood. [shameless_plug] http://thesims2.ea.com/exchange/story_detail.php?asset_id=192313 [/shameless_plug]

I'm clueless about web design, but.....is there any way you could kind of expand this idea? I mean, back in 2006 with the demonstration alongside Brian Eno, Will Wright was talking about a Multiverse Report that told you about how many people had killed your creature or befriended it and so on. Yet in the game, you just get three little sentences in Sporepedia.  :-\

What I'm driving at here though is....is there a way you could make that layout into a kind of template? Where you have the solar system view at the top and we can add our own planets in the boxes underneath? That way, we could collaboratively combine the stories of our own home systems and have our own kind of miniature Gamingsteve collaborative multiverse story thingy.  :D We could use the templates, fill in the blanks, and then have a bunch of pages dedicated to our systems.

It's just an idea though, what you have is already pretty awesome. The spinning planets look great! I'm glad the community is working on backstories. I tried to do a Vemnix one in the Mashon comic thingy but it got so fiddly and sluggish from my slow connection I gave up.

Thanks for the feedback, and thanks to all!

Unfortunately I know squat about web site programing, designing it is just art...but I use a program called iWeb (by Apple and SOOOOOO easy) to make my site.

To incorporate others work I would need to have people send me all their gifs and screens and write up their descriptions...I suppose it would be possible but I would have to do a lot of work and with a wife, two kids under 3 and a fulltime job that I drive an hour to daily, I dunno if I will ever finish what I started so far! ;)

I have to play around with it more.  Spore has kept my attention longer then any other recent game (Save Warcraft) in terms of days straight, so I might just stick with it.  If I do decided to include some fellow Gaming Steve peeps I will let you know!

Oh and the unnamed thing is my fault...too lazy and did it quick so I forgot about the name.  Will fix it.

Offline Pietoro

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 12:57:31 pm »
It's an awesome idea, I will be sure to keep checking up on it. =)
"Ooh rabba la dee teeb, ooh babba labba squeeb!"

Offline Parkaboy

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 03:14:48 pm »
I intended to do something like that in the Sporetips Blog, and you just inspired me! Check the blog to see my solar system (html still kind of buggy, and the rotating gifs totally failed).