Author Topic: 3 Activations?  (Read 6694 times)

Offline hikispore

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Spore Nieuws
3 Activations?
« on: September 12, 2008, 10:12:22 am »
Another chapter in the Spore release soap, after DRM - SecuRom:

MaxisLucky:

I understand that you folks are upset about this - but this is a misprint in the manual and it will be changed in the next printing.

And, in fact, each and every box (both of the Core Game and the Galactic Edition) states "Only one registration available per game" on the back.

There were many reason why we chose to have one account per copy of the game - some had to do with how saved games work and some had to do with limiting the online feature only to the one person who bought the game. We aren't charging a subscription fee for the online features and given the load to our servers we were very interested in making the experience for paying customers not be slow and laggy because of many multiple accounts per copy of the game. 2x to 1000x the number of people with accounts per game equals 2x to 1000x the number of creations on the server.

http://forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/30/103.page#844

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: EA Admits That You Can Only Have One Spore Player Per Install
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 10:15:05 am »
This has been known for quite some time.  It's on the box, so it's not a surprise. 

Offline WeAreLegion

• Wolfenstein Wunderkind
    • View Profile
    • Noigel's Art
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 10:24:41 am »
This has been known for quite some time.  It's on the box, so it's not a surprise. 

Have to agree...I mean one account per purchase/serial number is pretty standard for online (or sudo-online) games.

Offline Beatnuki

• Scramble Skipper
  • Wilco Hex, reporting for duty!
    • View Profile
    • Beatnuki's Chunk of Funk (which seemed like a good idea at the time)
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 12:30:09 pm »
It's still a drag, IMO. I don't buy that server lag excuse really either. I'm sure they wouldn't complain if 2x to 1000x people had to buy the game individually. Which they will.

Curses upon that lying, optimism-giving instruction book!
If you peruse my things, you get POINTS!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Beatnuki

Only trouble is, they're Whose Line Is It Anyway points, which are infamously not worth anything.

Offline Bellum

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 12:34:43 pm »
I share my account with my mother.  ::)

You'll live.

Offline Dauntless

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • EA = Electronic A*seholes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 12:42:48 pm »
Heres a question...

I have an account which has been set up for use with Spore, and it works fine an lovely.

My brother uses the offline 'Admin' account (my computer user's name)

If I download creatures online made by others, will they appear in my brothers game, even though he doesn't have an account? I think EA could give us that right, at least
dd/mm/yy

Remember, the Spore will be with you....one day

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Plusi - My SPOREPEDIA Page

Offline Rct2mad

• Ultima Lord
  • =)
    • View Profile
    • Spore-Galore (Link may not work)
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 12:48:03 pm »
Heres a question...

I have an account which has been set up for use with Spore, and it works fine an lovely.

If I download creatures online made by others, will they appear in my brothers game, even though he doesn't have an account? I think EA could give us that right, at least
Yes it does, I have done the same.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 03:44:22 pm »
Heres a question...

Even if you're not signed in the game will pollinate content from others, as long as you're on the internet. You won't be able to upload or to set friends or Sporecasts. You'll also lose the ability to comment on other creatures. But you'll still be able to see the content of others.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Judhudson

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
    • SporePrograms
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 05:34:13 pm »

To be technically correct here, it states that "Only 1 Registration Per game".  What people are complaining is for creating multiple user accounts with the same game.  Not quite the same thing.  Example would be that you bought Vista, and you can only register it 1 time.  However, you can create as many accounts in Vista as you please.

So basically, the fault lies within EA...and I don't blame the gamers one bit.
Owner of SporePrograms & SimPrograms
http://www.sporeprograms.com - http://www.simprograms.com

Offline BigBadWolf

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 02:44:56 am »
To be technically correct here, it states that "Only 1 Registration Per game".  What people are complaining is for creating multiple user accounts with the same game.  Not quite the same thing.  Example would be that you bought Vista, and you can only register it 1 time.  However, you can create as many accounts in Vista as you please.

So basically, the fault lies within EA...and I don't blame the gamers one bit.
Plus, there is an in-game option to switch users...

Offline Granite T. Rock

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Granite's Homepage
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 06:18:08 pm »
When I was googling to see how widespread people's anger is about only being able to have one user account per registration I came accross this thread:

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/spore-technical-support/335416-you-may-have-multiple-spore-accounts-each-installation-game-6.html#post5727440

Apparently after several E-mail exchanges and threatening to complain to the "Trading Standards" in the UK they created a second user account for him.

My question to EA is: Should we expect equal treatment or do we need to start pestering harder?

I encourage people to continue to complain to EA about this issue.  Maybe take a page out this guys play book and make our discontent known elsewhere.
My Spore Profile  ****  My Spore Videos
Wii Friend Code: 7772 0178 1092 3363  Mario Kart Code: 2363-6666-4480 (PM me when you add me)

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 06:30:05 pm »
This is the one thing i am miffed about.

My girlfriend who lives with me and plays spore on a separate computer has to play off line now despite the fact she already had an account with the creature creator. She can't upload her creations lest they be under my user name and thats not right. I bought the galactic edition and now when i get the extra money i have to buy a standard edition for her despite the fact we live in the same house.

I should of just bought 2 standard editions instead of the galactic edition. But i didn't know we would have this problem since we registered 2 separate accounts with one creature creator.

Offline Ozymandias

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
3 Activations?
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 07:40:50 am »
I was under the impression that you could use your 3 activations simultaneously but I have just tried installing it on my girlfriends laptop and it refuses to let me give her a spore username and says key invalid.

I was really happy with the DRM up until now this is what I liked about it and if I can't install on two computers at once having 3 activations is just screwing customers over.

I don't want a DRM discusion here, there are plenty of threads for that, just has anyone managed to install on two computers and play with them both online with 2 different usernames and how did you get it to work?

Offline spiritofcat

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Ta-da!
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
Re: 3 Activations?
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 07:42:43 am »
You only get one account per cd-key.
You can install it on 3 computers at once but you still only get to have one account.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
Re: 3 Activations?
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 07:43:07 am »
Based on your description it sounds like you tried to set her up with a new account, which you can't do.  You can only have one account per game, but it should be 3 installations.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net