Author Topic: Back to my very first game and pleasantly suprised!!!  (Read 2327 times)

Offline Hyfrydle

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
Back to my very first game and pleasantly suprised!!!
« on: September 15, 2008, 04:26:53 am »
Just decided to reload my very first run through Spore which I had abandoned due to treading on someones toes and getting punished for it. It may just be that I know know how to play but originally I had been beaten down to just my homeworld and I was constantly getting attacked which is the problem alot of people have had also I seemed to be getting eco-disasters frequently too.

On my reload today I managed to fend of the attacks and then take another colony so my empire now consisted of two which helped bring in Spice and improve things for me. I asked both my allies to attack the enemy empire and paid the small sum requested and they did the business. The enemy empire lost two colonies and whilst they attacked I targeted a third system which I managed to take so I now have 3 colonies.

The enemy is now on a back foot and I will make sure it doesn't recover also in about 1 hour gametime I only had one eco-disaster.

Has something been tweaked behind the scenes or am I getting better?

Having got 3 races into Space I'm finding the game has really opened up and my disappointment from expecting too much diminishes every time I play.

Has anyone else noticed these changes it might be an idea to try any abandoned saves and see if we can find out.

Offline alxian

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
Re: Back to my very first game and pleasantly suprised!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 04:55:44 am »
As you say, I felt it, the level of dissapointment is proportionally reduced by amount of play hours (plus 40), and once you have most of a spiral arm or two explored.

Yes there is a dire need for content, game play, and game mechanics updates/patches/tweaks, but the reason you want to play it more is because there really is just enough there in the end game to want to.

And as you mentioned, it does take practice and finesse, and the mega bomb to properly deal with the jerks in the your neighbourhood.

Even so much that you can get tired of getting beat down (just patch your game BTW to reduce the attack rate), and start a new game with a new race.

Frankly what will make the game more playable, especially to new comers, will be an update or mod that takes away all the ridiculous limiters, like even at the cell stage where you can't evolve more, and a proper map for finding things and getting around (to places you've been).

It is a galaxy you're playing in, even if it is just a baby one, but there is no reason why it should be boring (for a lack of new things to do), you should so often feel lost, or that the game is just too broken to really enjoy.

Offline Gauphastus

• Space Harrier
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 05:02:54 am »
This seems true. I was rather down on the game at the start.
But you know, it's grown on me. The only thing that saved it was my desire to rule space. Anti-Spode wars and such.
And soon enough, anti-grox wars when I grow a pair.

It's not all totally bad. There's some faint charm to it.
Still, I'm completely not surprised to see so many complaints or suggestions for fixing it up. People want to be able to support the game.
I'll get bored really shortly here, maybe two more days. Then I'll just have to wait for additional content.

There are more things in the future to look forward to.  :)
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Beatnuki

• Scramble Skipper
  • Wilco Hex, reporting for duty!
    • View Profile
    • Beatnuki's Chunk of Funk (which seemed like a good idea at the time)
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 05:05:51 am »
I'm glad you were able to go back and use your newfound skills to give those interstellar bullies as taste of RIGHTEOUS VENGEANCE!  ;D

Sometimes that's all it takes though, a step away from things for a while. When the grinding quests of WoW get tedious to me I just drop the game for a while and wait until I get nostalgic and miss it, and then suppress and distill that feeling further until by the time I get into the game again it's a joy to rediscover it.  :)
If you peruse my things, you get POINTS!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Beatnuki

Only trouble is, they're Whose Line Is It Anyway points, which are infamously not worth anything.

Offline alxian

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 05:09:01 am »
It isn't just content that's missing. The game is broken from a design standpoint.

We all knew what they were going to release 2 or 3 years back.

This game is too much, my first galactic sims, and not nearly playable enough to really play as n RTS or from an economical standpoint.

There is just so much potential and Emeryville has ignored basically everything they needed to do on the RTS and Economics side to make the end game viable beyond simply conquering and exploring (and creature tweaking for people who like that).

It is, and will be, too limited for a long while yet. Playable as you say for now, but for how long?

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 06:17:27 am »
Maybe this is why I didn't have any problems playing space, I played agressive all the way and instantly made 2 allies around me, when I got 3 enemies (also around me), me and my allies kicked their ass :P
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.