Author Topic: Statement EA - Maxis on SecuRom  (Read 7712 times)

Offline hikispore

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Spore Nieuws
Statement EA - Maxis on SecuRom
« on: September 11, 2008, 12:14:37 am »
I dont know if this news is allready onlinehere  but I got an Email from EA - Maxis.

It was mailed to me yesterday evening to publish on my Dutch Spore Blog, included was a English version:

There has been a lot of discussion about the DRM in Spore, and the team at EA and Maxis wanted clarify how the system works, and why it’s in place. 

Our system works just like online music services that limit the number of machines you can play a song on.  This system is an effort to control piracy.

You can install the game on three computers – at your office, at home or for your family.  What you can’t do is make and distribute a thousand copies online.

If you feel like your situation presents special circumstances, contact our customer service and we’ll talk through it with you.

QUESTION

How will Digital Rights Management (DRM) work with Spore and Spore Creature Creator?

Answer

The DRM solution implemented for the Spore and Spore Creature Creator changes copy protection from being key-disc based, which requires authentication every time you play the game by requiring a disc in the drive, to a one-time online authentication. This system has the added benefit of allowing you to seamlessly play your game without requiring the game disc in the drive.

KEY POINTS:

This system allows you to authenticate your game on three computers with the purchase of one disc. EA Customer Service is on hand to supply any additional authorizations that are warranted. This will be done on a case-by-case basis by contacting Customer Support.
Games are authorized to your machine when you first install and launch the game.
We’ve all had those times when the discs get lost or scratched, and you can’t play a game you’ve bought because you need a working disc in the drive. With this new system, players will no longer need the disc to play the game, but can instead simply retain the disc as backup for reinstallation.
FAQ:

Q: What is the difference between the old PC disc authentication solution and the new online model?
A: Two things have changed:

First, authentication of your game disc has changed from a physical format to an online format, eliminating the need to have a disc in the drive when playing.
Second, with online authentication, consumers now connect to the Internet the first time the game is launched and are only required to reconnect if they are downloading new game content.
Q: How will the game authenticate now?
A: We authenticate your game online when you install and launch it for the first time.

Q: Do I have to reauthenticate after the first time my game is launched?
A: Reauthentication is required only if you make significant changes to your PC's hardware, reformat your hard drive, or in some cases, upgrade your Operating System.  Multiple installations of the game on the same computer do not count against the number of computers the game can be installed on.

Q: What are the benefits of online authentication versus the disc-based model?
A: The new system means you don't need to have the game disc in your computer in order to play. Losing a disc will no longer keep you from enjoying a game you already have installed.

Q: Am I able to play my game on more than one computer? Do I need the disc for that?
A: You'll be able to install and play your game on up to three computers without the need of the game disc. Your computer is authorized after installation and the initial launch of the game.

Q: Will I still be able to play my game offline?
A: Yes, you can play offline, however, we do hope that you will play online. Sharing creatures, buildings, and vehicles with other players is something that is unique to Spore and Spore Creature Creator, and is one of the coolest features of the game.

Q: What happens when I’ve reached the maximum number of computers for my game and I need more? (Due to computer upgrades, theft, crashes, etc.)
A: EA Customer Support is on hand to supply any additional authorizations that are warranted. This will be done on a case-by-case basis by contacting Customer Support.

Q: Why are Maxis and EA implementing this new authentication process?
A: This solution serves to protect our software from piracy. It has the added benefit of allowing you to activate your game on multiple machines without needing the game disc in the drive when playing the game.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 01:04:37 am by hikispore »

Offline CosmicD

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
Re: Statement EA - Maxis on SecuRom
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 01:48:49 am »
This nuance is very important:
Multiple installations of the game on the same computer do not count against the number of computers the game can be installed on.

Anti drm lobbyists love to ommit this specific fact (among others) :P

Also DRM is such a "sony music album" / windows media noun. It already has that negativity labled on it from the early years, and is coming from music cd's.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 01:50:40 am by CosmicD »

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 01:59:34 am »
So the message Im getting from reading that is

1. You dont need the disk to play the game

2. You dont need the disk to play the game.

3. You dont need the disk to play the game

4. Multiple installations of the game on the same computer do not count against the number of computers the game can be installed on

Offline Crowster

• Defender Devotee
  • It's Crow-Time, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • The Adventures of Crow-Man
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 02:32:57 am »
Not on a timer =  >:(

same computer doesn't count towards the limit =  :o

I wonder how that works exactly. What if I reformat? Install new hardware? Uninstall then reinstall but in a different directory? Install twice on the same computer but on two different partitions? Upgrade my OS?

Offline Emmental

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 03:26:41 am »
There seems to be an important question they failed to address: If I uninstall the game from my PC do I get the "license" back?

I will soon be doing this as I am replacing my PC. If the answer to this is "no" (as I suspect it will be) then that's one install lost already within a week.

Offline CosmicD

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 05:04:23 am »
you guys ever heard of hardware challenge?

they determine that you use the same pc by determining a sum of the parts that you use trough a formula.

like, this cpu with this serial + this cdrom + this chipset equals to this number.. (well, or some variables like that)

Everytime you install your game again it also sends a challenge and expects a response from the activation server. if this number is the same as the challenge , its ok. Otherwise, it's determined you have a new pc and it counts as an activation.

Offline Judhudson

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
    • SporePrograms
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 05:23:20 am »
you guys ever heard of hardware challenge?

they determine that you use the same pc by determining a sum of the parts that you use trough a formula.

like, this cpu with this serial + this cdrom + this chipset equals to this number.. (well, or some variables like that)

Everytime you install your game again it also sends a challenge and expects a response from the activation server. if this number is the same as the challenge , its ok. Otherwise, it's determined you have a new pc and it counts as an activation.

That's correct.  Some people went thru that with Mass Effect by upgrading there video cards and thus counts as a new activation as the activation server sees it as a new system.  I cannot recall, but I did remember reading that they (game developers) says this is not the case, but in reality many people have experienced it to be true.
Owner of SporePrograms & SimPrograms
http://www.sporeprograms.com - http://www.simprograms.com

Offline econundrum

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 05:30:00 am »
I notice they didn't mention all the problems with authentication in Europe between the 5th - 8th that many cstomers where having either.

Luckily did didn't effect me since I didn't get a chance to install until the 8th.
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations."

David Friedman.

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/econundrum

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 05:38:12 am »
There seems to be an important question they failed to address: If I uninstall the game from my PC do I get the "license" back?

I will soon be doing this as I am replacing my PC. If the answer to this is "no" (as I suspect it will be) then that's one install lost already within a week.

No you wouldn't get it back.
But that's why they included the option that you can call EA customer service who can make a decission on the specific case.
So instead of automatically freeing up the installs it just means you have to call them to do it instead.
To be honest they're likely to free it up for you if you explain the bit about computer upgarde etc. when you've run out of the 3 installs, not unlike what Microsoft does.

Offline Emmental

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 07:03:20 am »
So once again, the only people inconvenienced by these rediculous schemes are the legitimate customers. The fact that I will need to contact EA to effectively ask for permission to continue using something I have already paid for leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth.

I can only hope that they see sense and remove this "protection" some time in the future, or at least allow install usages to time out, as other people have suggested.

Offline SporeForSure

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 07:17:01 am »
not unlike what Microsoft does.

But at least Microsoft give you back your installs automatically within 6 months of them not being used. That is how FSX works.
”It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring” (Dr. Carl Sagan)

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 07:19:08 am »
"To stop pirates"... yeah right, pirates had their way even before the official release date xD
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Nazzul

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 07:43:33 am »
All I got from there was EA does not trust people who actually buy the game.....thanks EA/

Offline morphian

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 07:51:38 am »
All I got from there was EA does not trust people who actually buy the game.....thanks EA/

Indeed. I was really tempted to download the pirated version of Spore pre-'official' release but didn't in the end. However, after reading this BS, I'm tempted too just to spite them.

The pirates have already made copies, broken the SecuRom, and all that. The only thing 3 activations does is irrate anyone who installs new hardware (graphics cards, etc). And this whole thing about 'please contact customer support to get more activations is just retarded given how *poor* EA customer support is.
See my evi...erm, not evil, honest..creations at:
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Hephaestus

Offline Len84

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 08:14:08 am »

Indeed. I was really tempted to download the pirated version of Spore pre-'official' release but didn't in the end. However, after reading this BS, I'm tempted too just to spite them.

The pirates have already made copies, broken the SecuRom, and all that. The only thing 3 activations does is irrate anyone who installs new hardware (graphics cards, etc). And this whole thing about 'please contact customer support to get more activations is just retarded given how *poor* EA customer support is.

Indeed. Whilst I appreciate EA's efforts to stabilize their profit margin for Spore and decrease the affect of pirates. They need to realise something.
SecuRom or whatever it is has clearly failed. However, it remains successful in pissing off the consumers.

The score so far...
EA: 0
Pirates: 8,811,354 etc. and counting.