Author Topic: Why should I expand? ... seriously  (Read 7200 times)

Offline TFGoose

• Missile Commander
  • Made of 100% All-Natural Win
    • View Profile
Re: Why should I expand? ... seriously
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2008, 08:04:29 am »
These defenses have a maintenance cost (upkeep) that the player must pay in order for them to continue working effectively without his presence.  This cost is paid automatically from the Sporebucks account of the player, deducted every 30 minutes.  Perhaps 100,000 Sporebucks each to keep one planet on fully automated defense every hour (cost debatable)

There are not enough -s in the world to explain how much I consider this opinion "----".

The one thing I love about the Space Stage is that unlike every other 4X game, there's no ongoing costs to anything. I want pirate raids fixed too, but I really hope that there's never going to be any sort of ongoing costs in Space.

Fair enough.  It's just a thought, and I'm sure there are other methods for doing this.  But seriously, it's not as if money isn't ridiculously easy to come by once you have your spice production going strong.  I can make 10 million in about fifteen minutes just from the planets in my home star system.  If I leave the system and go to two of my other stars, that figure jumps to 25 million.  I'm buying discounted anti-matter bombs and planet busters like they're goin' outta style, and I'm still maxed out on money.  So I don't think putting a mechanism for a money sink into the game is that horrid of an idea (though I admit I'd want the cap for max Sporebucks raised).

--TFGoose
Quote from: me
Where there's a Will, there's a way....

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2008, 08:14:04 am »
Second that. The cap is pretty low once you consider the cost of things and want to go all out just like in SC4 or other Maxis games.

As for me, I really don't have a reason to expand my empire. I'm just doing it so I could that "galactic empire" feeling once I finally spread my empire throughout the entire galaxy. 8)

Im not playing space stage for fun. Im using cheats to get to the raw power. Because apparently my species has contacts in another dimension! You think the grox got so far by actually mining spice and fighting?

They got some help from Will himself. ;)

And yeah, when I use cheats in Spore or any other Maxis game for that matter, I tend to see it as if my race/civ/sims are just way more advanced and/or powerful compared to everyone else. ;) :)

Offline Murali

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2008, 01:43:58 pm »
Just remember star wars where many planets are under darth vaders control. The threat of a "visit" from the armada of ships like the SSD and other star destroyers is enough to make planets stay in control. Although it is under a fear it still works.

It's a good thing there wasn't a rebel group of some sort that was able to strategically use its small numbers effectively against a hulking bueacratic empire to bring about its destruction, then.

Offline TFGoose

• Missile Commander
  • Made of 100% All-Natural Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2008, 01:50:03 pm »
Just remember star wars where many planets are under darth vaders control. The threat of a "visit" from the armada of ships like the SSD and other star destroyers is enough to make planets stay in control. Although it is under a fear it still works.

It's a good thing there wasn't a rebel group of some sort that was able to strategically use its small numbers effectively against a hulking bueacratic empire to bring about its destruction, then.

Whew, good point!  Probably fortunate as well that they didn't design their massive superweapon with an easily exploitable weak point that would destroy the entire structure...

... twice.

--TFGoose
Quote from: me
Where there's a Will, there's a way....

Offline Miclee

• Donkey Kong King
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2008, 01:54:31 pm »
My goal, once I reach the center, is to colonize atleast 1000 systems, all atleast on a T1 planet with enhanced colonies. :D

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2008, 02:32:47 pm »
There are a few things that raw numbers of systems would give you in a 4X game that are lacking in Spore.

I turn to, IMHO, the greatest 4x space game ever made: Master of Orion 2

In MOO2, every colony would produce food, minerals and science. How much of each would depend on technologies, how you assigned workers, buildings, etc.

Excess food could be shiped to other planets that could not produce any themselves, allowing them to exist and even flourish on an otherwise hostile world.

Excess minerals could be turned either into money, or used to build up a fleet of space ships

Science from all the worlds was pooled and applied twords whatever technology you were working twords.

In almost every case, having more worlds was better, as you got more food/minerals/science to use for your empire as a whole.

Spore lacks many of the things that specifically make many colonies worth it.

You cannot build a fleet of ships
There is no research, all your new toys are unlocked with badges
There is no food. While you can see 'food' at work by seeing T3 colonies supporting more people than T1, you can't use a bread basket T3 colony to help maintian a high population on a T0, for example.

Lastly, you have the factor of the number of colonies directly increasing babysitting duties.

All in all, no reward for large empires at all.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 02:44:11 pm by Pinstar »
Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2008, 06:11:09 am »
i'm hoping that maxis will realise that having to defend each planet personally, no matter what you place there, and fix this problem very soon in a patch.

Yeah they seriously need to expand out a few more. Its seems that each phase expand out more with more things automated for you.

Cell = Alone Eat

Creature = Group Eats/Attack/Socializes with you

Tribe = Individual and group but will do task on their own after being told to rather than drivng them around.

Civ = No need to feed but collect space now and arrange city buildings and then automated vehciles ocne told what to do. Also the citizens no longer need control.

Space = No more controlling vehicles (except for spaceship), still arranging buildings but controls the planets ecosystems and stuff. Tehen you need to defend and stuff.

What i would like to see beyond would have auto plop colony where the style of building and echiles were already chosen based on your civs choice.

Also once the colony is there it would auto defend itself against minor threats such as pirates.

By this level you would be basically taking over or buying other systems. Possible even  mass colonizing via auto terraform and colony tools.

In addition new controls could open up such as making stars and planets or creating wormholes from stars. And of course the ability to travel to other galaxies either by supper massive black hole in the center of the galaxy or an intergalactic drive.

Basiclly you would be more god-like at this phase and all other phases would become more simplified, automated and not change them at all.

I would really like to have it include concepts like the Kardashev Scale

Kardashev Scale
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale

If comparing to Spore Type 0 would be civ phase, Type 1 would be space phase and type 2 and beyond would be what i would like to see Maxis expand the game to include as more advanced phases.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 06:20:34 am by Hydromancerx »