Author Topic: Graphic Quality Issues  (Read 5493 times)

Offline AuraBoyX

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Graphic Quality Issues
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 12:12:23 pm »
Me and my roommate both have VERY high end both with 4 gigs of RAM... The graphical problems are not solved with higher ram. They should allow people with high end machines to be able to utilize their equipment. My creatures render awful if they have a shiny skin texture. I mean so awful that a round pupil becomes a flower shaped pupil. I love the game but this graphical issue is unacceptable. The sims2 looks GREAT on our computers... I would expect spore to look at least as good quality as the sims2 if not better...

Offline fallout386

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 12:49:59 pm »
Thanks for the link Dahamuran I've posted on there with my concerns as well. Not sure why Spore doesn't have the 'insanely high detail level' setting that every other game comes with which chugs your machine to its full potential... *cough* crisis *cough* (just as an example :P)

Offline voidster

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2008, 05:57:44 am »
i posted my view over there as well but to sum it up here. spore is devoted to real time creation and animation instead of a very cool looking gfx engine. The effects are very very dummed down compared to the editor (look at lights or anything blinking..you never see the light cones on buildings in the game sim part, just the editor.) there is no light projection of any kind short of the sun and moon. Lots of stuff.

i run a dual core intel 3ghz CPU with 4Gb of ram and an Nvidia 8800GTS with XP 64 OS. I see the same bland lower quality graphics everyone else does.

Offline fallout386

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2008, 12:16:04 am »
Reading the spore modding forums I saw some modders have found triggers to change graphical detail levels and there was like an Ultra High option in there which didn't seem to do anything. Sounds like the game may have been rushed and higher level detail settings cut out before release... hopefully either the modding community or maxis does something about this, I feel somewhat cheated after hearing of this :(

Edit: I found a video with in game footage of a city with working television displays and when they zoom out the detail levels don't instantly die either. Its about halfway through the video (2:50 mark)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0HNoC0naF4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0HNoC0naF4</a>

Makes me wonder why the pre-release versions of the game had this capability but the finished product cannot display a polygon or texture to save its life :( It seems to have low fps when they scroll the screen but I would settle for less fps than to have hideous ugly creations in my game... Towards the end of the movie you can see the city zooming out and every texture still shows, you can notice a forest in the distance lower its poly count but its almost at the horizon.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 04:08:48 am by fallout386 »

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2008, 04:01:04 am »
That wasnt happening to me .. then today.. it happened. Now everything I see looks horrible.

Offline Necrox

• Venture Conqueror
  • Underwater Civs For President!
    • View Profile
    • Lupus Photo
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2008, 05:37:16 am »
What I don't get is why the low res textures exist in the PREVIEW windows as well? o_O

Example
My factory in paint mode:

Same factory in the ingame sporepedia preview:

...I mean... come ON. Seriously? What's the point of the high res textures if you can't even see them in the detailed, up close, single-item preview window?
If this is intended then they had a very weird plan to go by. Why not let it load the heavy stuff there so it looks nice and shiny when people browse for items to use in their game?

I have 4GB RAM, 8800 GTX OC 768MB, Quad core CPU - everything on max incl. cache. Don't tell me it has to with specs.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 05:43:29 am by Necrox »

Offline voidster

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2008, 05:45:00 am »
The only thing i can think of is if they were limiting things for the Mac or maybe other platforms such as the Wii. (or am i thinking backwards, Mac is still the king of gfx are they not?) It should be easy enough just to confuse the engine and swap numbers around, well in theory anyhow. With the configmanager.txt at least my characters do not cut out too early. I cant get close enough to see them but i dont think they are using high rez textures either. Which is fine.

One thing, when i was playing this morning i noticed that during the creature phase, my ufo came down to do the usual picking on my group area. It had full effects and i think the textures were high quality too. Ill peek into some files today and see if i can mix up spore to show the higher details. It may only be done through a .prop file though, im not sure on it.

its annoying though, maybe one of us will crack the code :)

Offline Beatnuki

• Scramble Skipper
  • Wilco Hex, reporting for duty!
    • View Profile
    • Beatnuki's Chunk of Funk (which seemed like a good idea at the time)
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2008, 05:53:40 am »
I'm quite shocked to be reading this. I don't know my full specs, but my computer is more or less a Da Vinci clockwork machine with a single 2ghz cpu; I just scrape into the minimum requirements. I accepted the graphics I have because I thought, "Well, hey, what more can I expect from this rig?"

Yet now it turns out that the only difference you guys have is that your computers can do the shiny textures thing. I can see why you'd be concerned by all this.
If you peruse my things, you get POINTS!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Beatnuki

Only trouble is, they're Whose Line Is It Anyway points, which are infamously not worth anything.